11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you buy an "All Digital Video Game Console"?
Yes 6 33.33%
No 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 AM

mjgaming has much to be proud of
Post Would you buy an "All Digital Video Game Console"
I was just wandering how many people would actually buy an all digital video game console or if they would refuse to buy it.

I don't think I would buy and all digital video game console.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast

WILDMAMMOTH has much to be proud of
Hell no. I will buy some digital games, but I like having hard copies of most of my games.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I would have to say no. As it stands now most of the gaming world couldn't make the switch to a digital game console, since most don't have an internet connection fast enough to handle the download of full games; not to mention the storage space that would be needed to store all those games.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
I'd have to say no, largely due to the DRM issue.
In Theory DRM meant to stop people from illegally copying games and distributing them for personal gain or for free (allowing the studio to keep profits up and have decent amout of capital to make more games). In practice, its going to fall prey to the pitfalls of all other digital media with DRM. Some games banned in a region, limits on units sold and 'Ooops, we're deleting this game on your system, even though you've paid for it, because we mis-sold it to you.' (Amazon and 1984 on its Kindle a few months back).

Then we have the other problems of drive space. Do you buy the game, or 'rent the use of the game' much like a coin-op arcade game where you play for each and every use? Then we have the service issues, which I've gone into before on the forums. Are they any good at providing support, do they have issues with certain networks, are you locked into/out of a service contract (much like a mobile phone), will you need a minimal requirement for your Broadband line (10mb min connection for example).

I would only recommend a unit like that to someone who A) Hasn't much room at home for games/consoles or B) Has money to burn for entertainment (Let the rich buggers waste money testing it Live).
Old 10-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
I'd say yes. Discs are a thing of the past. I never ever go to a shop anymore to buy games:

1) It requires me to leave the safety and warmth of my cave
2) It costs me more money
3) I have to face imbeciles who ask stupid questions like "So you want Halo for the PC, Xbox, or PS3?"

The only drawback from buying it online or in a store, is that I have to wait for mail delivery of the disc. Cut that shit out of the picture, and it's a win win situation.

All of you luddites have to move on and realise all your props and empty LE boxes are just that... props. Some people like props, and are willing to pay for shipping and a nice little manual which they'll never read. Not me. I'm interested in one thing and one thing only; The game.

I want my game now, cheap, and without any hassle. Same thing with movies.

It's why pirating is so big. People can't be fucked going to a shop and paying more money than they have to. If I can download an HD movie within 10 minutes, and therefore save myself a 15 minute trip to the mall, 30usd, and don't have to talk to retards... I will... All of todays media should be available online. And if it isn't, that warrants enough excuse to pirate it. Those are the rules of a modern society.

And Ps. If you find yourself in a country where a 10mb/s connection is considered "fast", please stop using the internet and go walk 20 miles to get some more more water from the well for your village.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem View Post
3) I have to face imbeciles who ask stupid questions like "So you want Halo for the PC, Xbox, or PS3?"
Have someone really asked if you want Halo for the PS3? If so can you tell me where so I never have to go there.

Personally I like the disc. It's a comfort thing with me. with the disc I know I can play it, there no need to waste memory space, and no risk of corruption at least to the disc (the save files are a different story). so I'm a no.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
Mediamarkt asked me about Halo, Free record shop tried to convince me that Diablo 2 is not an existing game. And I've had several of these WEIRD questions and people.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 PM

mjgaming has much to be proud of
Wow, I was actually expecting more people to choose yes than no. Well I guess that tells me that I WAS WRONG!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:24 PM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
The only way I'd buy an all Digial console is if it came down to that or nothing.

Most of the games I get are used, if all the games are Down Load there are no used games, so I'd only end up with the high end Triple A Titles, as I'm not paying full price for most games. While the companies wouldn't have to pay for packaging and shipping and such, the amount they drop the price will most likely be minimal at best........Hell EA might raise the price and say it's for the convienence knowing them.

There also has to be alot of advancement in the laws surrounding the sales of digital media before I'd be willing to go into it.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 AM

XavierThirtyTwo is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to XavierThirtyTwo Send a message via MSN to XavierThirtyTwo
<i>Console?</i> No. Never. I, for one, enjoy having my physical copies of console games, sitting on my wall sized bookshelves, as part of my living room decor; not to mention that consoles are meant to play different games by swapping the game out, and not by installing. I do like the xbla and psn games, however, but that's a rather different idea all together. Those are much smaller doses of gaming, at much lower prices, and I totally appreciate them not being disc based (and disc priced.)

That being said, I think installation disks for PC games are archaic. Why spend the extra money/waste recources for the box/disc, when all the game files have to be installed on your PC anyway? I have always stood behind the idea that all PC titles should be available for digital distribution (as well as disc for those unfortunate enough to not have internet capable of downloading games.)