11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 11-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
Mouses for MMO's
How come the market is so slow with bringing out new mouses specifically for MMO's? We all know the Razor Deathadder and the different Logitech mouses, but so far it seems there's really only two mouses designed for long hours of questing...

The first being the Steelseries WoW MMO gaming mouse:

I bought this one because it was a perfect fit for my hand and the button layout is perfect. The smaller buttons near the scrolling wheel on the left and right mouse button are genious. And the d-pad works as well. It shines nicely and in blue it fits perfeclty with my g15 keyboard and blue starlight monitor. Gimmicky, but looks matter too. BUT, the durability of these bitches is absolutely zero. The LMB starts to stick after .. pff, a day? And then its pretty much over, I haven't found anybody who didn't complain about this... I took it back to the store, and they actually removed it from their stock because so many people complained about it. I think - THAT - is probably gonna be the biggest blunder this year... You build the perfect MMO mouse, and then you're gonna go cheap in the end with flimsy plastic blades for left and right... Bah, such a waste

The alternative appears to be the Razer Naga:

I'm currently ondering whether or not I should get this. Other than the fact that it looks absolutely horrendous, I can't imagine it working very handily... It's like you have a miniature numpad on the side of your mouse o_O Am I supposed to do - that - with my thumb? Also the two buttons on the left blade seem a bit far, I usually don't have my fingers that far around my mouse, but maybe it's a bit smaller. Also, I wonder if they're programmable to keys, and not numbers. I don't know anybody with this mouse so was hoping somebody could give an impression.

If anybody knows other MMO gaming mouses please post them. And with MMO gaming mouse I mean a mouse with a lot of programmable keys. So no Razer Mambo, G9, Sidewinder or 518 ;D
Old 11-10-2009, 01:02 AM

NotU is a jewel in the community
Damn, that Naga looks good. I use a Logitech MX, myself, but I could not really recommend it for gaming. It has 'programmable' keys, but they never seem to do what you program them to do in game.

My Website

Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
(Odd I made a post a few days ago, but it seems to not be here.)

It is important to note that many companies consider "macroing" illegal. I don't know if it is still happening, but at launch there were several reports of people being banned from WoW for using the WoW branded Steel Series mouse. (Though the majority of complaints were that it just felt like cheap/crappy construction.)

I don't use a funky mouse because I prefer stability and control. Using my thumb to do something fancy seems like I'd lose that stability. Back when I had buttons assigned to my G5/G9 I did, on occassion, use the thumb button, but it seemed awkward and slow. I'm much faster with a more traditional keyboard setup (I use the number keys for the main hotkey bar and the num pad for the second hotkey bar.)

I'd take a standard keyboard and good mouse like the Logitech G500 over a fancy macroing mouse any day.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 PM

NotU is a jewel in the community
Normally, I would probably agree with you. I am a 'keyboarder'. I play most of my games using keyboard commands, and only use my mouse when I need to. I even bought a G15 (one of the old ones with 18 g-keys and 3 memory settings) because I was running out of buttons when playing City of Heroes.

But games seem to be moving more and more away from keyboarding. Games like WoW make it seem like you have to use the mouse to keep up with pvp, so I started using the mouse buttons. Unfortunately, when I switched to my Logitech MX (which really is a better mouse overall), none of the buttons programmed in game would work, and none of the 'programmable buttons' worked for the game. This is despite the mouse software coming with a 'gaming' set-up.

My Website