11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 10-11-2009, 06:10 PM

AwwHeck is a jewel in the community AwwHeck is a jewel in the community
Question Dungeons and Dragns info:
agian i sat in on agroup playing (same group) but a new guy was there, he said his character's weapons were four-bladed claws mounted on the back of his Chara's hands and were one-inch out form his knuckles, the DM let him use a D10 as his weapon die

so i began looking, but cant find any info on claws of any kind except on the info on this 'abyssal armor' stuff

so, my question is now: are claws a elgit weapon and if so, what die are they and waht class must you be to use them?
((guys PC was a mutli of fighter/rogue))
Old 10-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
They are "technically" Punch Daggers, although many GM's (myself included) call them improvised weapons if they don't have the hand-to-hand skill (primarily used by monks). D10 is generous if it includes a str modifier (3+d10 for example) I wouldn't have given him more than d3 with a str/dex mod, max.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:08 PM

Well i managed to get ahold of that same DM, ((he's usually working or playing D&D so he's always busy and contacts us))

what he did was he counted them as a normal d6 if a class with martial power source and used on main-hand and off-handed useage of the weapon was a d4, but this guy's PC was a duo-wield, so the DM combined the Die to expand damage roll's range to 1-10 instead of 2-10 (as a semi-penalty for duo-weild)

turns out, when i tired the mechanics he employed for said weapon, it made it much more fair for NPCs and PlayerCharas alike

so on the note of "punch daggers", i've never heard of those(nor seen any DM tlak about them), so are they a legitly provided D&D weapon and if so what class/die?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Found an old reference http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Punching_Dagger They're simple enough weapons, primarily used by Rogues, Assassins and (sometimes) Monks. Had a player years ago who used nothing else, suposedly they where the only weapon to have... until he went toe-to-toe with a Basilisk. Stats are higher than I remember, but then that could have just been down to the amount of times my players used to miss.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:30 PM

i see.

thanks for the info hagan

i think though, i'll employ my buddies' ideas of combining a d6/d4 combo into a d10

here's my thoughts on it(please mind this is a mere house-rule only):
D6+D4 = 2-10 dmg range vrs d10 = 1-10 dmg range
if you weild the claw on main-hand only: d6
on off-hand only: d4
if duo-weidled a dmg range penalty occurs for using offhand making range include 1 dmg thusa d10 must be used
---other: penalty of not being able to throw anything at all as blades would limit release movements
((hence it's mostly balanced))

a punch dagger, well those i'll use D6s for, as for te back-mount claws, i'll use the house rule above until the day someone provide a better house rule, but hey this way, the claws are balance and retain usefulness

again hagan, i thank you for your help!