11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 PM

AwwHeck is a jewel in the community AwwHeck is a jewel in the community
Question 'Plotless' DnD campaigns - your opinions on them
For a while now, my GF, my Best guy friend, and myself have been playing DnD, and our current capmapign is pretty good.

However i've been starved for diea on how exactly to continue it...then it hit me: "why not try a 'plotless' campaign?"

I always love what a story brings so Plotless doenst appeal to me much...But i was curious as to how others feel about such campaigns.

Does it sound lazy, does it sound fun, does it sound merely like a time-killer, nothing more or what? Speak your mind, this is a thread with no right or wrong answer...

I admit, I am gonna try a plotless campaign to see how I myself like it, but I just wanna know what others think...
Old 09-19-2009, 01:07 AM

MichelleSavage is community member of note
The villainous plot is the best part of a D&D game. I was in one once where the DM just rolled everything up randomly, "Just like life," he kept saying. It totally sucked.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 AM

BiggusDickus has set foot on a distinguished road
I agree with Michelle. The villain is the difference between a campaign and a series of random events.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:35 AM

oh always have a villian to be sure
aww heck(pun), even make a villainous PC if you have too...

my ideas so far is to set it up as 'plotless' but with a setting

the setting is: the good guys are going about their normal lives when their daily routine is inturrepted by a corrupted scholar who begins commanding vast armies of fell creatures and sicks the fells upon the townsfolk
thing is, as 'plotless' i, the DM just dont have any ideas pertaning to the questions of "how'd we get here, why'd the bad guy go corrput(etc...)"

im my current campaing, we gt there there by doing apilgrmage required by holy law to a sacred temple and it came under attack by a horde(per se) of anarchy-loving soldiers who wound out to be following the whims of the Temple's counterpart on the otherside of a great continent divided by war
the plot ahs unfolded form there to reveal a scheme to unravel the secrets both faiths have kept from the world, secrets that, would ultimately, provide long lasting peace and ever-accessable knowledge
---our villain therein is a Priest who become so aggitated by lying when he told other not to, he went berzerk and lost his mind and feels wholeheatedly he's doing the world a justice when the power he'd unleash is the occurance of apocalypse itself
the crux of the plot in my current campaign is 'death = movement into spirit thus eternal knowledge and peace forever', and it's windin' out beyond good, but it's a kinda commonly used theme nowadays from what i've seen, like i said, i'm outta ideas thus why i posted asking how many fans would see a 'plotless' Campaign

but to be sure, ther will always be a villain, even in plotless when i am around, even i have to be the villain
Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 AM

BiggusDickus has set foot on a distinguished road
What you are describing is, in fact, a plot.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggusDickus View Post
What you are describing is, in fact, a plot.
you msuta misread me Biggus

a Setting is not a plot, a setting is how is it all starts ups
whereas a 'plot' is how it unfolds and winds out ending and how the endng effected us all from day1

a simple 'this guy goes bad, and you gotta stop him ,you dont know what he's up to but he's sicking fell easts on innocent townsfolk' is what the idea of my plotless is,(a campaign i'm gonna try)

the plot i did describe in my last post is my current(and mind me, plotted) Game's Plot,

i am hard to read i do apologize

what i aim to say however is i have a good capmaign rolling with a great plot but have utter run out of idea-steam and wanna trya plotless to see if it removes my mental block by chance, but i jsut wanted to know opinions on it so i could know how small to keep said future plotless campaign run
Old 09-19-2009, 03:55 AM

futureBrian has much to be proud of
He's right. Your description of the setting includes a weak plot. It doesn't have to lead the players by the nose from one encounter to another for it to have a plot. All that's required is that something more is going on than just monsters getting killed and loot going into a sack.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureBrian View Post
He's right. Your description of the setting includes a weak plot.
not exactly...a setting is the lowest level of concept...it presents both problem and solution but leaves untouched the details full-time plot would touch and expklain

plotless-but-settinged you just fight a villain in a castle town, for no reason, with no story, it's all 'because we can', and the villain went evil for only the average joe's guesstimate

that, vrs my current plotted one's priest losing his mind and believing he is in the right when truthfully his actions are of trying to kill everything in existance and yet it's simply due to a misunderstandng of his duties
thus: plotless means simply no story whatsoever, & setting means "what is the problem, where is the problem"
Old 09-20-2009, 05:12 PM

mazaru has much to be proud of
See, I'd argue that setting is just location, environment, maps, types of enemy to be found nearby, factions, local laws etc. The setting for the story. Any sort of story - even one as simple as "we fight a villain in a castle town" - is a plot.

"Plotless" to me would be just a dungeon-crawl - an adventuring party with no background or real purpose beating up a load of arbitrary monsters. Those sorts of plotless games can be quite good fun.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
There's a better term for what you're describing, and MMO players may be familliar with it: Sandbox.

Open world, with stuff always going on, and give players the ability to carve their way into the world without railroad tracks or "pulling nose rings".

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade