11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 09-16-2009, 12:38 PM

XavierThirtyTwo is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to XavierThirtyTwo Send a message via MSN to XavierThirtyTwo
Question gamerDNA's Constituency
I didn't really know where else to post this, but this sub-forum seemed appropriate. Just from prodding around a bit here and there, I've noticed some common ground.

It would appear to me that a large majority of the regularly active members on gamerDNA have a very small number of games in their collection, and those tend to only be MMOs and sometimes a few nostalgia games that they played in the early years of gaming (with the exception of Dowekeller, who has only played a handful of games that were made after 1250BC, and seems to revel in that fact.) Most regularly active members also seem to have their MMO characters all on their profile.

Now, I'm not saying that you guys ONLY play MMOs, but the fact that these are the overwhelming majority of games that the active members have in their profiles leads me to believe that most people here came to this site as a means to connect with other players of their preferred MMO. If one also keeps track of the active contributions and discussions in the gamerflow, a large amount of updates are about or related to MMOs.

Is my assumption correct? Personally, I came here because the idea of keeping tabs on the games I like, and being referred to new games I might like, seemed enticing. Sort of like last.fm or pandora for gamers. I use more common mmo hubs for the games I play (like zam sites, for example) to connect with other players of my MMOs. I have almost 200 games in my profile (and growing almost daily) for the exact reason that I like keeping track of what games I've played and really enjoyed in the past.

I suppose I just want insight on why you guys are all here. I know the common answer is to be part of a gamer community, but what brought you here and what keeps you sticking around?
Old 09-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
The forums and the people, i would hope im not in that large majority of active members who only plays MMOs since i'd like to think that i play a large selcetion of RPGS

Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast

CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community
I stay for the community and talk about games. lately though I've just been saying hi to new people and talking less about games.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM

Arrakiv has set foot on a distinguished road
The forums outside of the MMO one tend to get a fair amount of traffic, so... I can't say I've noticed that so much.

'Course I play plenty of MMOs, but I play plenty of other things too.
Watch the Xeno Pro Remove Lag in EQ2

...Have a guild or a clan? Want to break your name out in a big way? Send me a message. But, shh! It is a secret...
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 PM

bwh3lch3 is a jewel in the community bwh3lch3 is a jewel in the community
I don't know if I count as a "regularly active member" since I'm new, but I don't play any MMOs.

I play mostly RPGs and FPSs, though I will try anything (I just spent the last 4 days addicted to Viva Pinata...). I think there is a good mix and I've read some really good game recommendations for the games I'm interested in playing.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
MMOs are hugely popular, and this site grew out of GuildCafe, a site specifically for MMO Guild activities IIRC, so a prevalance in MMO games is natural. BTW, I don't exclusively play ancient games, but I do tend to talk about old favorites (the games we grew up with always hold a special place in our hearts, and I'm OLD gad-nabbit! BTW: I'm waiting on that quarter). And while I played a few MMOs of late, Runescape in particular, I probably play more FPSs (last night for instance I played Urban Terror followed OpenArena followed by Assault Cube all FPS games) by than any other genre besides The Sims.

I have to admit I don't see a lot of postings about up-and-coming games, but most people IMO are more interested in talking about the games they are playing right now. When it comes to plunking down money on a game, I'm much more likely to buy the older game that my friends are raving about than some new release with a big media spin. Most gamerDNA members are probably the same in this regard.

I don't actually remember what brought me here, probably a link from some other game site, why I stick around is because this is a particularly friendly community of gamers who are more interested in having fun, and sharing gaming experiences rather than disparaging one platform or another and comparing ... hardware.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
What? Dont i made a contribution about forcing you guys to discuss upcoming releases for things?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to XavierThirtyTwo Send a message via MSN to XavierThirtyTwo
Ah, knowing that this place came from the beginnings of an MMO guild site really puts things into perspective.

Well having a bunch friends at just about every major publishing house and a few friends at a few of the major dev houses lets me know what games I'm going to like waaaaaaaaaay before they're released. Of course, I'm also not allowed to discuss anything I know or I get sued, but that's not the point. I also like to keep up to date with everything in the gaming industry, so media hype doesn't really affect me that much.

Anyways, I feel like the community here is good, but not very active. There's rarely new posts for me to read, and the majority of new posts I do see are things I'm not very interested in lol. But I really am enjoying updating my games collection! I've only put in games I really liked so far. I haven't even BEGUN adding 1-3 star games yet. I assume that my list will be somewhere close to 500+ games by the time I'm done updating it.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Enthusiast

BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueEyesWhiteGirl
That's just like the rest of the internet. No matter what site you go to, 1% of the members make 99% of the posts. The other 99% are known as "lurkers." They still count as members, because they keep coming here to read all this stuff we post.

Also, when I look at all the new members, I don't see a lot of people playing MMORPG's. It's all L4D and Guitar Hero and Fallout and, for some reason, Flower.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:19 AM

LOL I just spat out caipirinha onto my laptop when I saw the word lurkers in quotations. C'mon, there's no need to do that.

Obviously that's how it is everywhere on the internet. Just because 99.9999% of the posts in /b/ are either trolling or meme spam doesn't mean that all of /b/ is meme spamming trolls, but it does mean that's what it looks like to someone on the surface.