11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > Hello Universe!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:34 PM

TeachVideoGames has much to be proud of
Smile Hi, everybody!
Hello everyone. I run a blog about using video games in the classroom, specifically about using games as the textbook (if you get my meaning). Some research has been done with teachers using, for instance, Civilization to teach about ancient cultures, that sort of thing. That's not what I'm interested in. I'm more interested in, for example, examining the interpersonal relationship between Alyx Vance and Gordon Freeman, or psychoanalyzing Cloud Strife. That sort of thing.

I look forward to talking with the gamers here (I'm a gamer myself; have been for 20 years or more). I'm working on my Ph.D, so that's the reason for the site: just a place for me to synthesize and lay out all the ideas I have or things I've found. It also contains a page with a listing of dozens of game studios' jobs or careers websites (in case you're looking for a job), a list of scholarly journals that deal with gaming (in case you want to write about video games and get published doing so), and a page with all the books/games/etc that I've mentioned during my posts (in case you want to get a copy of one, it's right there).

The site is Teach Video Games. I know, this probably sounds marginally spammy, but I promise, there's no ads or anything on the site and I'm not making any money. It's just my research and may be interesting to some people here.

By the way, my name is Ryan. Sorry for the long introduction.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

JinTetra is a jewel in the community JinTetra is a jewel in the community
*peeks out from under the "rotting pizza"* You don't appear to be an ad spammer...

Welcome to gamerDNA, Ryan! ^_^

You'll find that as long as you make an effort to contribute, even just by chatting folks up, the community won't mind you directing us towards your site. A cursory glance already has me interested (it helps that I'm very open to many interpretations of all things Final Fantasy VII).

Glad to have you aboard, and we look forward to seeing what you have to offer.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:56 PM

Thanks, JinTetra. I'm very conscious about the fact that it may come across as spammy or blatant advertising, so thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt. It's hard to get a legitimate site up and going because there's so many fake, ad-bloated places out there.

Thanks, again.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:16 PM

KatrinaTheLamia is a jewel in the community KatrinaTheLamia is a jewel in the community
Well, I'd prolly suggest not so much limiting to looking at games, but how they are presented in popular culture.

I mean, I prolly get a more in depth view of the games themselves, more via the various Lets Plays out there (particularly the ones that rather jokingly point out the inconsistencies and flaws of popular games) as well as such Sprite Comics as: Kid Radd (which is quite literally the embodiment of awesome... by mid 1980s standards), Bob and George, 8bit Theatre and MS Paint Masterpieces.

I dunno, it is good to see the characters in the games, but social reactions are good here too.

Also and welcome.

I'll prolly check on your site in a bit ^.^
Old 09-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast

CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community
still in a stump to something creative for a "hello and welcome post" so i'll just say hi and look more into your blog. did a quick scan of it and was interested in some articles you had so I will be back to look at those more.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:25 PM

Vegeta has much to be proud of
Welcome to gamerDNA, I too would think heavily on the dynamics of relationships between characters, their reaction to events, plots, etc. But then I get accused of simply over thinking because it is just a "game". I am glad that you took the time to make a site that incorporates video games in such a way that it indirectly shows the remarkable (and often overlooked) efforts of the developers and writers of a game; especially because Psychology in itself plays a large role in whether someone enjoys video games. (I mean even the least story driven games have some forms of psychology, just look at the developer commentaries in Left 4 Dead).
Old 09-05-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
(I mean even the least story driven games have some forms of psychology, just look at the developer commentaries in Left 4 Dead).
Actually, it was the developer commentary in the Orange Box that got me thinking about it.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Enthusiast

CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community
I like all the commentaries Valve does with all their game. they understand that gamers sometimes what to know what the thought process was with their game while sort of play the game at the same time.

imo the portal commentary was my favorite.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:33 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Its funny because im studying psychology ans was thinking of looking at games

Hello and Welcome!

Old 09-06-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
Its funny because im studying psychology ans was thinking of looking at games

Hello and Welcome!
Well, if you want to expand on the thought, let me know and we can look at (if you'd be interested, of course) you contributing to the site! Networking is always good, right?

And thanks.