11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > Hello Universe!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:38 PM

KatrinaTheLamia is a jewel in the community KatrinaTheLamia is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuDreams View Post
I don't have the money to get anything else so I have to deal with Microsoft till cash flow gets bigger.
I dunno... I've found Linux and BSD tends to a lot easier on my pocket book. I mean for one, I don't have to pay, on top of the initial OS, subscription fees, for things to make sure my system still runs (such as Security Software). I mean, when I got my Acer Aspire, it has Windows Vista loaded onto it, with all sorts of "get this anti-virus free for thirty days" or "block hackers from your system for three months". My copy of Fedora 11 XFCE does that just fine, and I have no need to pay for a monthly subscription to keep updating, what I think are files/software/etc that should be part of the damn system I am running. Such as making sure I have current and up2date SELinux definitions.

Also as you go more into FlOSS, you find most of your tools work better for a smaller price. About the only things that does not, would be the GIMP. However, with Crossover Office, Wine and Cedega, most Windows Programs will run just fine, at the fraction of the cost of running a windows system.

Trust me, the maintainence, cash wise, is somewhat less on various POSIX systems, including both Solaris and OSX, than on Windows. Some of the POSIX systems, like Solaris and OSX will cost more initially, but you save more in the long run.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

WILDMAMMOTH has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
Welcome to gamerDNA, where we all embrace Microsoft with blind love.
I know I give them the hottest blind love they've ever had. Maybe that's why my XBox seems tired out...
Old 09-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
Welcome, love your avatar, re Microsoft, it's not as though we are being forced to buy Microsoft products. I for instance own no Microsoft products ... whoops, I do have an Apple //e with Applesoft burned into ROM, though I never use Applesoft as I'd rather use Integer BASIC or the mini-assembler to program (I don't use fp much when programming on my Apple 2, and Applesoft is slow). Wait, what were we talking about?

Anyway, Welcome, hope you enjoy our little forum, nice avatar, and don't hate Microsoft, just eschew it.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:16 PM

SoloSnakeGR is community member of note
Dear everyone,
I recognise microsoft has contributed to computing!But (no offense billy gates) they are a little tiny bit just a little greedy bastards.They also made vista and sell a console with HIGHHHHH!!!!!tm failure rates!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

WILDMAMMOTH has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSnakeGR View Post
Dear everyone,
I recognise microsoft has contributed to computing!But (no offense billy gates) they are a little tiny bit just a little greedy bastards.They also made vista and sell a console with HIGHHHHH!!!!!tm failure rates!
Ah yes, but then again, who isn't a greedy bastard anymore...
Old 09-04-2009, 08:36 PM

KatrinaTheLamia is a jewel in the community KatrinaTheLamia is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Dear everyone,
Vista? I dunno, I'd prolly have pointed my finger towards Windows ME >.>

As per the console with high failure rates--well, most of those can be fixed with a little bit of preventative maintainence.

Here is one set of things you can do: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...0754C2155623BD
Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 PM

SoloSnakeGR is community member of note
Well just because your bones can mend over time doesnt mean you should break em!Know what I'm saying?Im too young to have experienced Windoes ME...
Old 09-04-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Well just because your bones can mend over time doesnt mean you should break em!Know what I'm saying?Im too young to have experienced Windoes ME...
Wait what? Machines very rarely mend over time--and more often than not, will do the opposite. Hear of something known as Bit Rot? Here, I detailed a method, that you can setup an Xbox 360 to possibly not have issues like this as much as many people have.

And too young to have experienced Windows ME... how young are you? Mind you, I recall MSDOS 3 (MSDOS 3.. _not_ Win 3.x) on Mom's old C=80--so I am starting to note I am a little old at this point.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:24 AM
Enthusiast

wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by BofusTeefus View Post
Welcome to GDNA. I'm a bit of a 360 player/Micro$oft hater myself.

....And you just won Avatar of the Year. Here's your cookie.
You mean hamster burger right?

Welcome to the site btw solo. Love the avatar.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
RE: greediness, Microsoft's only obligation is to ensure a continuing profit stream for their shareholders. They have apparently decided around the MS-DOS 2.0 days that quality was not a requirement, and history has proven them correct. If people stopped buying their stuff when it didn't work, then they would be forced to fix the problems.