11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Guild Themes Design Workshop

Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Enthusiast

KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community
Code Limitation?
Im just curious if there is a code limitation on added HTML pages.

I have been working on a Monster and NPC database for PerfectWorld International that was transferred from a database to an excel doc for table codingin HTML. Now that I have begun to break the tables apart into sections based on monster levels, i.e "monsters lvl 0-9" and added the table to the html for my pages, I notice when I post the html the tables are cut off after a certain amount of code. Basically, after I save the html, which shows up fine in the page section, and I view the actual page on our site, the code is spliced.

Is there an input limitation on code in the pages section of the sites? I noticed this with forum posts as well.... lemme know!

Thanks!

Kaimera- http://Alliance101.gamerdna.com
Old 01-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast

KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community
29 views and no thoughts on this? Anybody?

Little help here!

Thanks,

Kaimera-
Old 04-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Enthusiast

BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueEyesWhiteGirl
Maybe you're the first to hit the limit, but I'm pretty sure there would be a limit. Maybe they can make it higher.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:00 PM

Leif has much to be proud of
I will test this. see if i can hit limit as well
Old 08-19-2009, 01:58 PM

Vegeta has much to be proud of
Well I doubt my input will be able to help, but seeing as how no one else really posting, I'll try.

It has been years since I worked with HTML. I'm curious where this Database of Monsters came form. I understand it being exported to Microsoft Excel so that you can save it in HTML.

I've worked with tables before and especially when you start trying to take apart a table and reorder it, it is possible to make one syntax mistake, which will literally butcher your table.

Just to make sure that I understand you. You said that when you post the code in the page that accepts HTML code, it all fits; correct? However when you publish the page and look it through a browser, it is all messed up, right?

I don't know what kind of troubleshooting methods that you have done, but the first thing you should do is post the unedited HTML from Excel into a different page and see if when you post it, if the table is perfect. The reason for this is Excel isn't perfect and part of the reason why I don't use it myself, as it reminds of Frontpage, creating tags, codes, making it extremely hard to edit it later if you don't have a program (aside from minor edits, like text).

If everything is fine, then you need to ask yourself if you are adding any HTML code that might not be correct, or standard in a browser, I mean if all you are doing is adding <tr> and <td> tags throughout the table, as long as you close them correctly, you should be fine, but if you adding I-Frames and all that, you might want to consider removing them until you actually get the Table Template fixed.

The next thing you need to think about what browser you are using, because even though different browsers are nearly identical, some still have special codes that only work with their browser, and chances are if you used Excel, the page is made to work in Internet Explorer. (So even though Firefox would probably work fine for the most part, you should use IE, because some of the special tags, each browser uses, the other doesn't recognize).

If you knew all this, I apologize, but I'd figure I'd try to help you out. Without actually seeing the code, it is pretty much impossible for anyone to help you beyond giving you general troubleshooting tips.

If I was you, I would make the table from scratch without the help of a program, and save that code. Then I would use a program (Excel, Frontpage, Dreamweaver, etc.) to add something that a program might make easier that would remove tedious work on your end (such as stretching the tables so that they look perfect, instead of trial and error with the code. Any tags you might not know, that you use a program for, honestly would probably benefit you better if you just learned the code instead.

I'm not lecturing you, I'm just giving advice and what I would do. Chances are it is a Syntax error though. If I misunderstood your question in it's entirety, than I apologize.

Good luck and I hope there was at least one good idea in what I said.