11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA News and Announcements

Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Your thoughts on the fighting genre?
In the past few months we've seen Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, Mortal Kombat vs DC, now Street Fighter IV and not so long ago Soul Calibur IV. Is this the resurgence of fighting games? Are they starting to come back? Do you think games like Super Smash Bros had anything to do with this (bringing new people into the genre?)?

I'm interested in your thoughts on the fighting genre...especially since I'm a noobie to the genre.

Lastly, we've got a survey with a partner that wants to ask you (gamerDNA members!) some questions about the fighting genre of games. They said they've got a handful of copies of the game Soul Calibur IV to give away randomly to people that take the survey, so please check it out and get a chance at winning a game!

Here is the survey here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...5_2f06ng_3d_3d

Thanks guys!
Last edited by QforQ : 02-24-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I suck at fighting games as well, but I still play them. 2D, 3D, weapons based, you name it. A resurgence in fighting games can only mean good things for fans. More games means more competition. More competition means continual striving for better quality.

Although I haven't played the series in awhile, Street Fighter has always been special to me. Most of the fighters I play nowadays are the 3D variety (Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur) but I grew up plunking quarters into the SFII machine at the bowling alley near my house in 7th grade. Every day on our way home from school my friend and I would throw away every quarter we managed to scrounge on trying to beat each other senseless. Good times.

Never got into the Tekken or Dead or Alive series. Not sure why, but Namco's offerings always fit me to a T.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 PM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
They do seem to be coming back pretty strong. I'm a big DOA fan, but I'm kind of worried about that game's future with the little war going on between Team Ninja and Tecmo.

I think alot of what's going on with it coming back is the depth they are starting to add to the games.

DOA 4 had alot of unlockables in it and I don't know how many people are like me, but being able to unlock stuff will keep me playing a game. I'm hoping they can find a way to keep the series going, and at good quality.

Soul Calibur 4, also alot of unlockables, Tower of lost souls was alot of fun, if not assenine at times and the character creator was awsome.

the Budokai Tenkaichi series is a bit more fast paced and open to new comers, but focuses on the fans of the series, also alot of unlockables and a huge character roster. basically a fan game,

I never played MK vs. DC, but again, a bit of a fan game. Can't really comment on what's in the game.

Street Fighter 4 kind of disappointed me. While I was gaming when the first few Street Fighters came out, I had never really given it a try before. I played Street Fighter 2 HD remix for the first time about a month agot and I liked it. I kind of got pulled into the hype about a good 2D fighter coming, the videos looked good, so I bought the collector's edition. Honestly, I liked the DVD and figure that came with the collsctor's ed more than the game. The game felt exactly like street fighter 2 with a slight graphics upgrade and a tweak here or there. I knew it would be 2D obviously, but it just feels really slow and clunky to me. However, I know alot of people are loving it.

Overall, I think the fact that the fighting game genre went down a peg or 2 is causing this resuection of the genre. Less games are coming out for it than they used to, but the ones that are coming out are only the ones that would be viewed as high quality before. We're not getting so much crap weighing it down, like Tobal No. 1.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Just picked up Street Fighter 4, so I'm still digging into it. So far, my extremely rusty SF skills are coming back very slowly. At this rate I might be ready for some online action in a month or so.

Ah, what the hell. I'll allow challenges now.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:43 AM

PimpMethod has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to PimpMethod
Fighting games need to stop using the button masting method and go back to making combos like Killer Instinct.

http://pwned.com/PimpMethod/
Old 02-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMethod View Post
Fighting games need to stop using the button masting method and go back to making combos like Killer Instinct.
Dial-A-Combo? No thanks. Combos should be about skill, not putting in a prescribed button sequence. Killer Instinct, while a good game, was less about skill and more about: Button Mashing.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM
gamerDNA Staff

Imran is a cornerstone of the community Imran is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Dial-A-Combo? No thanks. Combos should be about skill, not putting in a prescribed button sequence. Killer Instinct, while a good game, was less about skill and more about: Button Mashing.
I agree - I despise the dial-a-combo mentality (which is what really turned me off from the Mortal Kombat series, despite the fact that I adore the characters and universe). After playing Soul Calibur, fighting games really changed for me.

I'm a big fan of Virtua Fighter, to me that has the perfect balance of "button mashability" and combo emphasis, you can button mash all day, but if you get the combo in just right, you're in for a win.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:31 PM

PimpMethod has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to PimpMethod
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
WTF?!? It is skill!!!

http://pwned.com/PimpMethod/
Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 AM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMethod View Post
WTF?!? It is skill!!!
Before I begin: I loved Killer Instinct. Rare needs to stop dicking around with pinatas and Perfect Dark and make a freakin' Killer Instinct sequel already.

That being said, the Auto-Double system used in the KI games aren't quite Dial-A-Combo (a la Mortal Kumquat) but that doesn't mean they require much more "skill". Pressing X then having to press Y to start a combo, do a move, another auto-double, another move, another auto-double, finisher. Sounds like little skill is needed.

Virtua Fighter, on the other hand, requires knowledge of where you are, the position of your character and your opponent, and (in the case of several of the fighters) what stance you're in before you can effectively string together moves. You have to practice (the first time I played KI during a break at work I was able to quickly rack up 16-hit combos) before you are anywhere near effective. That is why I'm not that good at Virtua Fighter. But I still love it because if you win it's not because you entered in a combo the fastest, it's because you were better.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
I'd say the genre is having a small revival, but in all honesty, I can't see it lasting. The games themselves don't really offer anything new from what I can see. New characters, new moves, new graphics, same old gameplay.

I think the revival is fine though, each generation needs there own Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat/Tekken phase. Its like racing games where the 'Games of the moment', like they where over the last couple of years. Its just the phase of gaming that's currently popular and being pushed by developers.

I tried playing a few fighting games again last year, and just couldn't get back into them. They where a nice distraction when I was a kid, but I honestly just can't get back into playing them anymore, they just don't offer the same escape they used too.