11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 02-07-2008, 03:50 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Question What to do with old electronics
The DvD player in the spare room died yesterday. I overnighted in a replacement from Amazon for only $27 plus $3 shipping. It pisses me off though, because first of all this DvD player played probably less than 100 DvDs in it's spare room duty until I moved my treadmill there. Darn thing broke only on disc two of Babylon 5 season one.

So now I have a metal and plastic box 'o crap. I threw it on my electronics graveyard, a massive pile of old computers, monitors and other non-working electronic hazardous waste.

So my question is what can I do with it? I know I can pay some company to come take it away for an exorbitant fee, but is there some self-serve way I can recycle this crap? Should I rip it all down into bits of plastic and metal? Should I go into the 200w power supply business? Need a busted out-of-date motherboard anyone?

Seriously folks, what do I do with all this crap?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Wow....come to think of it I have an entire room filled with hand-me-down computers and old monitors friends just gave to me to scrap and junk. I'm curious about this now too, thanks for bringing it up.

PS -- No Roxianna, you can't send me your junk. However I have a nice iMac with linux installed if you want it...otherwise I may turn it into an aquarium.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence
You could try ebaying it for parts and specify whoever wins must pick it all up but don't expect to get much money .

Ask whoever collects your normal household waste assuming he collects when you're at home, he won't take the stuff but may tell you of local collection sites for electronics. Alternatively google suggests: http://www.cityofboston.gov/publicworks/sanitation.asp
Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Two words: target practice!

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 PM

wendel110 is community member of note
do an "office space" job! *walks off to find a baseball bat*
Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Enthusiast

Tanaiika is a paragon of the community Tanaiika is a paragon of the community Tanaiika is a paragon of the community Tanaiika is a paragon of the community Tanaiika is a paragon of the community
i leave them on random peoples doorsteps with posted notes saying "Johnny Five is alive, pls care for his baby"

Vorbis - if I imagine Taniika is the boy and that's his crazy mental hospital escapee dad then suddenly his dead baby obsession makes a lot more sense.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Well, if you were here, I'd tell you to just take it to the nearest recycling station. But I don't know what you do in countries that care less about the environment. Is there really no formalized way for getting rid of the (quite toxic) electronic waste in the US?
'till you run out of cake.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast

Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community
Over here we have to telephone the town for "non-recyclable" materials. I never tried to toss out an old computer (my past two still sit im my parents garage i think) but ive seen em on the side of the road, awaiting the truck.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:28 PM

wendel110 is community member of note
shoot em with a bb gun, the moniter that is. just be carefull of rebounds.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
OK fine, be that way. Target practice, THEN the recycling center.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --