11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 AM

MegaSchmoo has set foot on a distinguished road
Earthbound reborn
I heard Nintendo is possibly making a remake of the first two Mothers on the DS.In the same style as Pokemon Pearl/diamond/Platinum.
It's not been cancelled but has a very small development team and is not the highlight of Nintendo's game rooster for the next year.
Does anyone else have any information on this topic?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I haven't heard much other than the rumor that the Earthbound (Mother in Japan) games might be coming to the DS. I would certainly buy it, as Earthbound is one of my favorite RPGs. Maybe they could test the waters a bit by releasing Earthbound through the Wii's Virtual Console?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:29 AM

Dr-Madness has set foot on a distinguished road
At this point, I'd be happy if they released Mother 1+2 to the English audience. I don't know why Nintendo is so afraid of success that they hold back good games in favour of churning out more Mario & Zelda blandness.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:30 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Um, did you play Twilight Princess? Or Mario Galaxy? "Bland" is not an adjective I would ascribe to either one.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:18 PM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
This is the first I've actually heard of this. If they did release those, I'd be on that in a second.

Quote:
I don't know why Nintendo is so afraid of success that they hold back good games in favour of churning out more Mario & Zelda blandness.
There's a fairly contradictory statement. In this case the "good game" they are holding back, while I did really enjoy it, is a series that was released once and had very mediocre sales (in fact I'd bet the majority of the general gaming public only know about it from smash bros.), and the "churing out more blandness" is releasing titles that the name alone guarantees a million or more in sales.

Seems like they aren't "afraid of success" but rather don't think the market has changed enough for earthbound to be a success.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Savant

I do know that there is a fan-translated version of Mother 3 floating about the inter-tubes. Michael Abbott over at BrainyGamer posted an absolutely glowing review a couple months back.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:57 PM

Dr-Madness has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Um, did you play Twilight Princess? Or Mario Galaxy? "Bland" is not an adjective I would ascribe to either one.
Galaxy, yes. TP, no.
Frankly, Galaxy doesn't really do anything that the first dozen or so Mario titles didn't already do better. Utterly uninspired and I expect no better from its +1 titled sequel. As for Zelda, that series has been creatively dead since Ocarina. I don't need to play TP to know that series is going nowhere, I've played the titles before it and nothing short of its development team being murdered and replaced by people that still give a damn will breathe even a single gasp of life into the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
I do know that there is a fan-translated version of Mother 3 floating about the inter-tubes. Michael Abbott over at BrainyGamer posted an absolutely glowing review a couple months back.
I'm aware. I've played it, it rocked my boxers.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Savant

I have no problem with you not liking the Zelda series. But there have been some extremely creative games in that series since OoT. Majora's Mask (experiment in gameplay mechanics), Wind Waker (experimental visual style), Phantom Hourglass (experimental control style), Four Swords (4-player co-op). To say that the series has been creatively bankrupt when you have admittedly not played any Zelda since OoT is a tad disingenuous. Play a few, then come back and give me your reasons why they are bland.

Mario Galaxy may not have been as revolutionary as Super Mario 64, but it took the concept of playing in a three-dimensional space to an extreme by adding varying gravity fields into the mix. Plus, the game was an absolute blast to play.