11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support an ad supported DLC system instead of having to buy it?
Yes 10 83.33%
No 0 0%
I don't know / maybe 1 8.33%
What's DLC? 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community
Poll: Ad supported DLC?
Pretty simple (but not really): Would you support a system where you would watch one or two advertisements per login to be able to access DLC instead of buying DLC packs at 10 to 15 USD per serving?
I would support the idea because I'm a frugal gamer and it just makes sense with some games. Example: Call of Duty: WaW. The game basically has a life expectancy of one year, where at the end it will be cast aside in favor of CoD6. As of now the game has three DLC packs released for it and if you haven't purchased any and play on consoles, you can expect to have to leave every other MP session due to the DLC maps being in regular rotation. While the maps may be a good value for those who play alot, casual and new players being held back for not shelling out an extra thirty bucks on a game that will soon be obsolete is pretty lame in my opinion.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast

WILDMAMMOTH has much to be proud of
I would be all for ad supported DLC, provided the ads did not interfere with the experience. Something in the lobby during setup or even on a billboard in game would be OK.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

jimothyjim is community member of note
They could just make loading screens adverts, I wouldn't mind that.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:50 PM

Arrakiv has set foot on a distinguished road
Sounds fine to me - I like the idea of loading screen adverts. They could also be updated/patched as new deals are struck with the company, ensuring that they stay useful and relevant.
Watch the Xeno Pro Remove Lag in EQ2

...Have a guild or a clan? Want to break your name out in a big way? Send me a message. But, shh! It is a secret...
Old 08-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast

echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community
And if you think about it, publishers may make more money off of an ad deal considering that the video game playing demographic is a highly sought one.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:37 AM

Vegeta has much to be proud of
Like others have said, As long as it didn't interfere with gameplay; I wouldn't have a problem with it. However I think it is ridiculous that Xbox charges to use their Xbox Live service, as well as charge you if you want to update an aesthetic look to your dashboard avatar, something that is completely pointless...
Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Enthusiast

WILDMAMMOTH has much to be proud of
I hope the vote for What's DLC? was a joke.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast

boycotting has set foot on a distinguished road
eh, as long as it doesnt interfere with the game play, i'm all for it.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast

I just wonder if an this kind of option has ever even been discussed at a game studio / publisher. Obviously they're going to go the route that nets them the most money, and nickel and diming for DLC is the latest and greatest along that avenue, but a free ad supported route would be a great service to their gaming community while still making a buck off ad revenues. Unfortunately though I don't think it'll ever be possible (at least on Xbox) since Microsoft tends to demand that publishers charge for downloadable content.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 AM

SwordFish95 is a jewel in the community
I'd definitely go for it to save money. I suppose some PC games do it already, sorta. When devs add new content in patches, it might be sponsored by a company such as Intel.