11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Multiplayer Strategy & RTS Games

Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 AM

booiiing has much to be proud of
Hive Rise
a very fun and fast-paced mmorts!

one game lasts exactly 10 minutes, you have to conquer/destroy as much as you can in that time.

it's free2play, several upgrades can be bought for ingame-gold and ingame-gold can be earned by playing or bought for real money.

http://www.gamerdna.com/game/hive-rise
http://www.hiverise.com/
Old 08-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
For me this game goes against the RTS genre. RTS games are supposed to be played out and if they end in 10 minutes... so be it. Some of the best matches I've ever played lasted for 2+ hours with plan after plan being executed; battles, small and large, being waged across several fronts, paranoia on my mind as I notice the match is going on way too long and its approaching the time that my mom comes home, forcing me to give it my all for the W. To force players to beat eachother in 10 minutes seems like minimizing the experience.

Then it hurts me more to see the cash shop dilemma spreading to RTS games as well even though you can earn money by playing, players with cash will always be ahead. I'm playing a new TPS at the moment (S4 League) and it also has a cash shop where you can also earn points by playing the game, but you earn points so slow and then you see the players who used cash totally dominating with a bunch of different skills, weapons and of course flaunting their "we spent ridiculous amount of cash on digital items" custom outfits.

Last edited by Bonemane : 08-19-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 PM

booiiing has much to be proud of
well, i played several matches now (as you might've seen from my DNA) and yeah, it's not the flair of planning complete victory and carrying out the plan flawlessly, it's just plain fast action from above. so you could maybe just call it a "real-time tactics"-game instead of "real-time strategy" (see wikipedia to compare tactics and strategy).
the setting of the game (small bases right next to each other with hundreds or thousands of players on the same map) just doesn't allow for anything else.

however, it needs the same skills as any strategical game: you need to have an idea of what you are going to do, you need to test your opponents, you need to react quickly. especially being quick with actions is important and i use it to improve my skills to eventually be a better commander in other games (like savage 2).

i think it's nice for the quick and dirty thrill and to play a short game while you pause the work you should actually be doing

regarding the gold-issue: i don't think you need those upgrades. they're only small things (like unit-limit 50 instead of 45 or base-limit 5 instead of 4 (which i didn't even manage to reach yet)), so people who buy them are not insanely OP.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
Quote:
Originally Posted by booiiing View Post
well, i played several matches now (as you might've seen from my DNA) and yeah, it's not the flair of planning complete victory and carrying out the plan flawlessly, it's just plain fast action from above. so you could maybe just call it a "real-time tactics"-game instead of "real-time strategy" (see wikipedia to compare tactics and strategy).
the setting of the game (small bases right next to each other with hundreds or thousands of players on the same map) just doesn't allow for anything else.

however, it needs the same skills as any strategical game: you need to have an idea of what you are going to do, you need to test your opponents, you need to react quickly. especially being quick with actions is important and i use it to improve my skills to eventually be a better commander in other games (like savage 2).

i think it's nice for the quick and dirty thrill and to play a short game while you pause the work you should actually be doing

regarding the gold-issue: i don't think you need those upgrades. they're only small things (like unit-limit 50 instead of 45 or base-limit 5 instead of 4 (which i didn't even manage to reach yet)), so people who buy them are not insanely OP.
Its nice to see there's nothing much to really worry about in terms of the cash shop. I understand its one of those 'casual' games that you play during work. I can't believe they're trying to turn every single genre into 'casual' games though.

Nice job identifying tactics and strategy.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Spamming the expensive tanks and alot of infantry in this game ftw. Might be a bit harder against more seasoned players I suppose.