11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 08-10-2009, 03:19 AM
Enthusiast

jimothyjim is community member of note
The cost of 'casual' fun
I don't really mean casual games as a whole, I'm talking about games that are less in-depth, or just shorter, and are generally downloadable. The kind of games you get from XBLA, or PSN . I'm not talking just about consoles either, there's plenty available on PC and iphone as well. Anyway, now you have a rough idea of the games I'm trying to talk about, as the title suggests, it's the price of these games that's caught my attention lately.

XBLA for instance (the only one I'm really familiar with) seems to charge quite a lot for some games which I used to play for free on the Internet. The annoying thing is I bought them regardless, simply because I wanted to play it on my 360, nobodies perfect :P It just seems like they could be made available for cheaper because it's a download rather than on disc, and from what I've heard Microsoft takes rather a lot of the profits from these games even though they are only hosting them on their network. If the average price of arcade games dropped by 200 points or so I think I would have bought a lot more arcade games, then again I might be saying the exact same thing just because I will always be looking to get as much from my money as I can.

I don't know, does anyone else feel games like this are a little overpriced? Is it the same on the other platforms? Maybe just an incentive for the more regular buyers would be nice, so rather than buying each game individually, you could pay a set price and choose 5 games from a list to download so that it works out that you save a little money, but the company makes 5 sales whereas before you might have only have bought 1 or 2. The more I talk, the more I'm confusing the issue, anyone got any thoughts at all on this?
Last edited by jimothyjim : 08-10-2009 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Alliteration >.>
Old 08-10-2009, 03:52 AM
Enthusiast

BofusTeefus is an unknown quantity at this point
If by "a little overpriced" you actually mean "way," then I'd have to agree with you, at least as far as XBL goes. I'd only pay about 200 pts for your average XBL game, and even then I'd hesitate. I did, however, buy Dishwasher. Totally worth it for the artwork alone.

How about the avatar bling they're going to charge for starting this week? My thought- it's targetting kids who's parents left their credit card number programmed in the console.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:53 AM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
well steam has some really well priced casual games, but i do agree its a bit silly when most of these games are playable for free on flash... but then you do get some of the more original ones like world of Goo that are worth every penny
Old 08-10-2009, 04:54 AM
Enthusiast

There's definitely a couple worthwhile arcade games on XBLA, I recently bought splosion man and was fairly satisfied with it. Clothes are the 11th of August I believe, that's not even games, it's just casual I guess... I really hope they don't make any money on that but I know they will :/

I heard good things about world of goo, but I haven't played it, I might give that a try on PC. PC has some proper Indie games available which don't make it to console, which is a shame because some of them would actually be worth the poitns they like to charge on XBLA.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Enthusiast

wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community
there ARE some worthwile games that are worth the price points, things like Braid, Dishwasher, marvel v. capcom 2, peggle deluxe (the XBLA equivalent to virtual crack), geometry wars, and undertow, just to name a few.

but there are some out there, and they escape my mind at the monet (thankfully) that just aren't worth crap. IF I were Microsoft, I'd scale the cost per game based on popularity. Mainly because they're worth the cost. But for some. nah, I can't see myself plunking down that much for some of them.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast

I bought peggle, have put literal days of gameplay into it, trying to 100% every level. I know that it's on PC and I'm pretty sure it's on iphone, not so sure about Playstation stuff though. It looks and sounds like the most mundane game ever but it's painfully addictive, that one was worth the money. I'm not convinced Marvel vs Capcom 2 should be 1200 points though, seems pretty steep.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Enthusiast

wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community
Well, yeah, ok I'll give you that one...

(stares at you ominously)

For now.......

heheh

Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
Well the casual market is a big cash cow and people make it so. I'd boldly say some casual games based on tetris and the like, are making more money than GTA or any other big series out there. When you see someone make a tetris rip-off for around $50,000 then put it out on the market and make about $20,000,000 selling it for 10 bucks, you're gonna see people trying to play around with the price just to see how far they can go.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

True, the prices wouldn't be so high if we didn't keep paying them, we're all to blame :/ There's several games I have't bought on principal because they are so expensive though, sure I'm not having any fun, but who needs fun when you have principles!

The casual game market really is a cash cow, it'd be interesting to know what made the most profit out of retail games, casual games and map packs. Those Call of Duty map packs can't be that hard to make, and they aren't cheap as such, and they sell a ridiculous amount. The fact nobody ever comments about arcade game sales makes me suspicious as to how much they are really earning behind the scenes, and considering Xbox 360 has to pay for live as well. Damn you Micro$oft.
Last edited by jimothyjim : 08-10-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: rectifying the ridiculous overuse of the word though
Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast

echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community
WRT the paying for avatar clothes, I support Stallion83's opinion: If you really feel like throwing money away, give it to charity.