11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Sports Junkies

View Poll Results: Would you play a sports-based MMO?
Yes, I would play year round 1 14.29%
Yes, but only during the actual sports season 0 0%
Yes, but only if it was free-play 2 28.57%
Maybe, it would depend on how it was executed 1 14.29%
No, I would not play a sport-based MMO 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2009, 11:49 PM

NotU is a jewel in the community
Would you play a sports MMO?
I am posting this here instead of the MMO forum because I want to target the people who play sports games, not mmos.

I was talking with a coworker today about how some game series get panned for not changing enough between installments, yet the same people are okay with sports games getting minimal changes each year before being re-released. I went from suggesting that there just be a 'base' game that you buy, and then buy yearly dlc updates. From there, we went into mmos.

So, imagine your favourite sports game developer is making an mmo for your favourite sport.

During the regular and pre/post seasons, there are weekly updates to adjust for how each player is doing. A player that has a great game gets a slight bump, while players that are on fire get a bigger bump. Players that have a rough game get their stats reduced. So on and so forth.

During the off season, there are only a couple majour updates, say every three or four months, to adjust for players/coaches changing teams and/or retiring.

There would be both PVP (basically head-to-head) and PVE (player vs AI) servers, as well as pro and college servers.

Would you, as a sports game player, be willing to play an mmo like this? Would you be willing to pay the standard mmo fees (15USD/month, 10GBP/month) for this?

My Website

Last edited by NotU : 10-14-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Forgot some details
Old 10-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Enthusiast

TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community
By free to play I mean the Guild Wars model, buy the game then play all you want. I wonder though, say it's a football game. How many people would want to play the less glamorous positions? Like wouldn't everyone want to be the quarter back or receiver or the runner guy(can't think of what that's called)? I guess you could have AI for some of the less glamorous positions. Also you would have to deal with some way to PUG a team. The one thing I see time & time again is that most people want to be the star even in MMOs It hard to find people who will play support positions.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it i prolly wouldn't play it, but I think its a cool idea.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:25 PM

To be honest, I was not thinking about having players pick specific positions and having them stuck in those positions. I was thinking of having it be essentially like the sports games now, where the player can bounce between positions.

In the case of the NFL, imagine Madden and NCAA Football as one game. When you log in, you pick which of the four servers (NFL PVP, NFL PVE, NCAA PVP, NCAA PVE) to play. Then your 'character' would be whatever team you picked, multiple characters, of course.

During the regular, as well as the pre and post seasons, there are weekly updates to adjust the stats of the players on your team based on how they did that week in the real world. A 'season' would run for the normal number of games, which is 16 games for the NFL iirc (12 for NCAA?). When you reach the end of your season, you could either pick a different team, or just keep going with the one you have.

The first play-through during a real world year, you would play your team's actual schedule. If you keep the same team and play multiple play-throughs in the same year, all subsequent play-throughs would have more random schedules.

Still, even if it was position specific, you would be amazed at the number of players would would prefer something other than the QB. In MMO's there are generally multiple classes, with one 1 or 2 of which qualifying as a 'star' class, but there are still plenty of players playing 'non-star' roles to round out a pug.

My Website

Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community
Well the thing that sounded appealing to me was the team play aspect. of course I guess a guild would = a team in my version of it. Don't those football games already have a head to head type of play? They are not already internet enabled? Is it just the season thing that is missing from what you talking about as a MMO?

Old 10-16-2009, 01:49 AM

Some do, but if you are playing on XBL, you are already essentially paying a monthly mmo fee plus for many people buying a new copy of both the pro and college versions of the game (Madden and NCAA for football).

The big difference would be the constantly updating stats during the season instead of buying a new version every year that often has few changes past roster and stat updates. It would also give the players more of a voice in what gets put in.

Of course, the guild/team dynamic could also be put in, but it would not fit in all sports. Some, like golf and racing, could allow you to create your custom racer just like fantasy/sci-fi mmo's do, but pit you racing or golfing against actual pros and having them golf/race the same way they did in the real event that year.

For example, if Tiger Woods wins tourney A by 3 strokes, then he would in the game, too, unless a player beats his score. Or if Jensen Button wins Race B, then he would in the game, too, unless a player beats him or takes him out of the race.

The entire idea came out of a conversation about how we both think that the current sports franchises do not change enough to really be worth more than an update patch each year.

My Website

Old 10-16-2009, 04:48 AM
Enthusiast

Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community
Send a message via MSN to Doctorzongo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorzongo
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ten char minimum is annoying

The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
While a sports based MMO doesn't appeal to me, I could see how it could be done, sports already has levels built in, your character could start in say high-school or a junior college and grind towards a scholarship in a major sports university, then on to the pros.

I don't personally enjoy sports enough to really want to play sports-games, but there are a lot more options for MMOs than just fantasy and space-opera.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:49 PM

Elindor has much to be proud of
i dunno, but if I wanted some sports fun, I'd go call up a fren and play tennis in a tennis court near sch than do it online. I play MMOs for the fantasy I'll never find in the real world
Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 AM

MichelleSavage is community member of note
Instead of guilds, you would have teams. Sounds like a reasonable idea to me.