11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 PM

dagamdagee is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to dagamdagee Send a message via MSN to dagamdagee
OMGZ! 10 year prison sentence for console modder
Here's my written article: http://tinyurl.com/ne8e4e
So what are your thoughts on console modding? Should there be such a heavy enforcement on those who do it? Does it really hurt the industry that badly? What are your thoughts?

Just like the Ghosts.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Enthusiast

RedLynk is a jewel in the community RedLynk is a jewel in the community
Wow, sucks for that guy.

As for console modding... Don't really have an opinion.

- RedLynk
Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community
That seems too harsh for modding console(s). I mean hell, people do it all the time when they upgrade their computers, why would or should it be any different for someone to do the same to a console? What? Bill Gates is upset someone's not paying his people 150 bucks per 360 RROD repair and taking 3 months to do it?

The harshest thing that should have happened to him was a warranty void on all systems he had. This is Ridiculous.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
He hasn't actually been sent to prison yet. What do you think are the odds of a second conviction on appeal? How easy can it be to find two juries willing to convict someone of repairing his own XBox? Not only that, but the law under which he was convicted may not itself be legal. If his lawyer is even halfway competent, he's going to spend a lot more time in court before he has to spend any time in prison.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk aquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community
He wasn't arrested for repairing or even modding. He was arrested for selling modded hardware / selling the service of modding. Only becomes a criminal act when you profit from it. If he did it for only for his own systems it would still be illegal but wouldn't be a criminal offense. @Xeno Taking apart / repairing hardware you purchased is perfectly legal. It's when you mess with the proprietary firmware/software that the DMCA comes into the picture. And given that the DMCA was written in such broad encompassing terms into order to "catch all the evildoers," I'd say this guy has an uphill battle.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:48 PM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
as Echo65 stated, he was brought in for selling modded systems, now modding for his own personal use. That opens a whole new scenario. While it's nice to say modding doesn't really effect anything, they didn't say how he was modding it.

I remember shortly after the launch of the 360 someone was brought in for modding too, he was putting larger hard drives on the systems and loading the hardrives with games. So without knowing how he was modding them, I can't really say if 10 years is too harsh or not.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
*Scratches chin*
Tricky subject. Yes; the sentence of 10 years is dumb, he hould have gotten 5 years tops. But with good behaviour and whatnot, he'll be out a lot sooner.

Should he have been arrested? Yes; Modding a system is illegal, even out of warranty, provided the documentation for said console system covers such an act. Otherwise MS, Sony, Nintendo etc could go take a hike. It really started as a warranty issue from what I can remember, with many repairs being turned away because of it.

See, the thing is that it takes upto a few years, thousands of paid man hours and a hell of a lot of cash to produce a game. The age of the game doesn't matter, it still cost blood, sweat and money to make and produce. The cash they make pays staff and adds a kitty to the funding pile of the next game, allowing them to borrow less and stay out of a financial black hole.

Which is fair enough.

Now imagine someone has decided that the 'Information should be free' and therefore the game should be free. He cracks it, and posts it on the net, but it can't be played because the consoles wont accept a cracked version. Problem solved, the studio stil got their cash to keep on producing and all is well.

So some bugger mods the consoles so that the cracked versions can be played, next thing you know, no-one buy the games en-mass, the studio looses out and can't afford to make the next game without borrowing money from a third hand source. But that's okay because you got to play the game for free.

Piracy, its a victimless crime... my arse.

If you worked in a job where your wage depended on sales of units, you'd be a bit zealous when it came to protecting your product too. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, they are all answerable to their content providers, the programers of those games you love and adore. If they are pissed because of modded consoles allowing freetards to download their games without paying, you can damn well be assured MS is going to take action.

If it where your job, your product and your money, I'm sure you'd feel the same way, especially if you where in a job where you enjoyed what you did and what you produced. Imagine being on the design team of a game and halfway through the programming phase you where told "Sorry, we have to let you go, hardly anyone bought the game because they downloaded it for free off the net. Because of this we don't have the cash to keep you and half the department, so very sorry. Good luck on your next job."... would you want the little sod responcible locked up and his assets stripped (not to mention several dozen other horrible things we wont get into)?

Would you just say "Oh well, nevermind, he deserves it more than me"?

If the answer is yes, seek help.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
The problem with all this is that all he was doing was buying XBoxes, putting in a resonably large hard drive, then reselling them at a profit. He wasn't loading them with pirated games, or the sentence could have been quite a lot higher. As it turned out, the only way they could get a conviction at all was to convince the jury that the larger hard drives were "for the sole purpose of playing pirated games." Just exactly how they convinced a jury of that is possibly the stuff of legend, or at least a good TV episode.

The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk aquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast

echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community
Here's some funny food for thought: Imagine this and/or similar cases... as a Law and Order episode.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo65 View Post
Here's some funny food for thought: Imagine this and/or similar cases... as a Law and Order episode.
It'd need its own spin off series, with a heavy 'geek chic' cast to keep us all watching and educated on the subject.

Question is, which actors would you have in that series?