11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 08-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast

wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community
Worst. Character. Ever.
We've all played our share of games ranging from FPS, RTS, RPG (and even some which are a hybrid of the 3), sports, platform, adventure, MMO you name it. And I'm also guessing that most if not all of you have had a blast experiencing it all because there were some great leading men (and women too) from noted characters like Cloud, Marcus Fenix, Ms. Pacman (which outsold the orignal Pacman 3 to 1 in most coin ops at the time), etc etc.

But. there are those characters that are just....Le' CREME du le' CRAP. That one character out there that you're just "oh Shit, not him/her again..." That one character that either sours your mood or....just makes you want to say "Who the hell thought -name here- was a good idea?!"

Yes, it's time to find out what character out there is, in your opinions, the biggest "Jar-Jar Binks" of Videogames.

I'll start.

Max Cougar from Bulletwitch. Yes, I know. the game was utter crap on a wheat cracker. But come on, Max COUGAR?! I couldn't even sit there without snickering when he first introduced himself and I was surprised he actually made it all the way to the end creds. I mean with a name like that, and the stiff amatuerish voice acting on this guy was just....teethgrittingly bad, why keep him around any longer than you have to?

So yah. There you go.

Next?

Old 08-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast

echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community
Slippy Toad. Need I say more?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 PM

whiskeyhicks has much to be proud of
In general all of the wingmen in Starfox were annoying, you'd think McCloud would of ditched them for others by now.

"DO A BARREL ROLL!" "I GUESS I SHOULD BE THANKFUL!"

In my opinion the most annoying character I had to deal with was Whisper from the game Fable. She kept calling me "farmboy" and spilling statements of false superiority even though I was overall an alright guy and never did ANYTHING bad to her. That's why I was quite pleased with myself when you had the ability to kill her, I felt she had it coming regardless of the fact that it turned me "evil".

I seriously felt it was worth it just stop being called "farmboy".
Old 08-04-2009, 01:34 PM

LeftyRedbeard has set foot on a distinguished road
Off the top of my head without thinking properly (which is probably the best kind of response your ever going to get out of me) it's a toss up between Carmine from Gears and Louis from L4D.

"Carmine" covers the whole family so far (except, maybe, for Madison). They are the worst soldiers in history, the only reason for taking them into a battle being the comic relief you get when they die in interesting ways. But he's become somewhat of an icon. I even play him in multiplayer. Everybody's waiting to see what happens to the next one...

So I'm going to have to opt for Louis. Say one good thing about him. Go on...
Even the intro movie to Left 4 Dead has him teaching you exactly everything you absolutlety should NOT do in the game. Poor bastard... but then I don't even feel sorry for him...
Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 PM

MrODoyle is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to MrODoyle
Does Tommy Tallarico count? No? Ok.

The Hammer Bros. in Super Mario Bros. always pissed me off.

Steve or Lion from Virtua Fighter cuz they were always so smug and effeminate.

The G-Man from Half-Life 2, cuz he spoke like a skipping CD: "Wake up... Gor...don.... Freeman. Wake...up."

I know there's more but I can't think of them.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community
that Fat Guy in F.E.A.R i wish i could have shot him in the beginning but no such luck with that.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
This isn't a character, per se, but more a characterization within a specific game. Dante in Devil May Cry 2. The first game set him up as a wise-cracking, gun-slinging bad-ass. Then they went and turned him into a dour, cliched anti-hero. Thank God (and everything and anything else that could possibly be thanked) that they corrected their egregious error in Devil May Cry 3. I didn't even try playing DMC3 until they released that special edition because I hated the way they portrayed Dante in part 2.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Enthusiast

JinTetra is a jewel in the community JinTetra is a jewel in the community
Hmm, this is actually an interesting thought. I focus more on games I don't like as a whole, but there aren't too many specific characters I hated by themselves. I didn't hate Slippy, but that's probably because I was young and had a high tolerance for squeaky voices. I'm sure I'll think of some...

1. Theresa, as she was depicted in Fable II - Honestly, my beef is more with the abortion that is the game's plot than it is with any character, but they really did screw her character up. The first thing you'll notice is that, if Theresa had never approached you as a child, you never would have ended up in Lucien's castle and your sister would not have been murdered. Theresa is directly (in the sense that, as a prophet, she knew exactly what would happen) responsible for Rose's death, but does she ever offer you an apology? No, in fact, she's perfectly fine with sending you off into the world to exact revenge against Lucien instead. And to go one better, she never, not once, offers you any help beyond telling you where to go. Did I mention that she can freely teleport herself and anyone else to any location in the entire world, but you, for some reason, are left to leg it.

I think I could have tolerated her character if she had not already been established in the first Fable. She was a troubled, blind, young girl who was tortured by her past, but still did her best to help her long lost brother (the Hero) conquer the villain. Then, hundreds of years later, she's suddenly a selfish, nonsensical, old woman who strings along the new Hero and, by the end of the game, is heavily implied to be somewhat evil in her own way.

2. Carl Johnson, the "protagonist" of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - I loved the game. Seriously, they wrung every last drop of power out of the PS2 and delivered concentrated awesome. But after stepping into the shoes of the legendary Tommy Vercetti in Vice City, it felt like a big step down to suddenly be playing as CJ.

Now, I can't stress enough that I'm not racist, and that my dislike of CJ has nothing to do with the color of his skin, but he was just such a punk, you know? When you played Tommy, you always felt like a badass and that nothing could touch you, but when you played as CJ, you were getting jumped every other cutscene. Catalina, Mike Toreno, and many other characters all got the drop on CJ at least once and could have blown his brains over the sidewalk. Overall, I don't really hate CJ, but I damn sure didn't like him.

3. The Guildmaster from Fable - Many people hated him just for never shutting his fat mouth when "Your health is low!" or when he wanted you to "Try to get your combat multiplier even higher!" I did not have so much of a problem with that. The slight snag I had with him was more of a moral thing.

Picture this: the history of the Guildmaster. Going by the name of Weaver in his younger days, he finds that he dislikes the policy of the old Guild of Heroes. Only the virtuous are trained, and evil is heavily discouraged. Weaver thinks there should be no such discrimination, and so he leads a rebellion against the Guild in which many, many lives are lost. Taking the mantle of Guildmaster for himself, he declares that all Heroes forthwith will be free to be icons of goodness, or be harbingers of hate and malice. Guildmaster Weaver is, by extension, responsible for the deaths of every man, woman, and child that were killed by a graduated evil Hero because he didn't like the way they were looking at him.

Think about it. In the name of "anti-moral discrimination", the Guildmaster can be seen as one of the worst bringers of death and misery in the world. And yet, he gets all upset when Jack of Blades nearly brings about the end of the world. This all makes it deliciously ironic that, in The Lost Chapters, you have the option to kill the Guildmaster. Moments before his death, he acts as if evil Heroes really are bad news after all.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community
With CJ you can't really fault him as a character (actually you still can, I won't stop you), but more so the direction Rockstar decided to take with the story and theme of the game. Looking back I think it was the best path they could've taken with the story, given the protagonist. CJ's story is one of overcoming adversity (No, not the Vercetti "Hey that goon over there is shooting at me. Meh, I'll just run over him with my Ferrari," type of adversity). After Vice City, Rockstar apparently wanted it's heroes to be more vulnerable and human rather than no-fear walking death machines. Brought the story telling of the medium that much closer to that of movies.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Enthusiast

wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community
Great posts guys, it really makes me smile to know that I'm not the only one that suffers through some games with bad leading/supporting characters.

Keep 'em comin!

P.S. Much love for the respect there Jin. (thumbs up)