11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Fighting Games

Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 PM

PimpMethod has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to PimpMethod
Question First Time with a Arcade Stick
I'm just now leaning to play with a arcade fightstick. It's a Mad Catz Femme Fatale Street Fighter IV Tournament Editon:
Im pulling off some moves sofar. My right hand hurts from reaching my fingers for the buttons.
Ya got any tips?

http://pwned.com/PimpMethod/
Last edited by PimpMethod : 09-13-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Use the wrong word
Old 09-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
Ugh Mad Catz. I can't stand them as a company. They make terrible, cheap products. Everything I've bought from them usually breaks within a week, sometimes on the first day. Good luck with your joy stick.

I haven't used one of those in years so I can't give many tips. Don't tug too hard on the stick, but at the same time don't get too loose or the moves won't register. I'm assuming arcade sticks work the same as the sticks on a console controller so just think of it as that, but bigger and adjust for it.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:29 AM

Trainer23667 has much to be proud of
Note: Try to come up with a better a title, for my immaturity kicked in right at the get go. Excuse me for my lawlz.

Now, to the point, madcatz? Eh, can't say I typically recommend most of their products. I do like the flashy colors and designs but sometimes the finished product in hand just doesnt work out. =\

As for using the arcade stick, your wrist is going to be in for one hell of a change. Make sure you play on a leveled surface, not uneven, otherwise your in for some pain. It will take a little while to adjust but the more you use the stick, the more you'll get use to it. Practice makes perfect. ;0
Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM

XavierThirtyTwo is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to XavierThirtyTwo Send a message via MSN to XavierThirtyTwo
Make sure you find a joystick grip that works for you. Some prefer underhand, other's prefer overhand. some prefer monkey grip, others like the claw type grips.

Learn to use all five fingers on your right hand to hit the buttons, and don't forget about your thumb!

Since you have a TE stick, it's safe to assume that you have a square gate. You have to learn the new motions for your special move inputs. You need to learn to make minor adjustments to your movements. SRK motion, for example, will now actually be a Z shape. Right to hit the right wall of the gate, down-left to hit the bottom wall of the gate, and then drag straight to the right to hit the corner of the gate. (Also, your joystick isn't a Pink Floyd theme park, so stop riding the wall.)

TL;DR = grip it comfortably with your left hand, spread out your right hand. stop riding the wall.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:42 PM

MrJared has much to be proud of
Wow, so much Mad Catz hate. Granted, they have a spotty track record, but their line of TE sticks are easily the best commercial arcade sticks produced to date, besting the likes of HORI in their first attempt. They're also extremely easy to mod, so if you cheap out and go the SE route, you can easily drop in Sanwa or Seimitsu parts to beef it up to full spec.

Anyway, there really aren't any guidelines or tricks from moving from a pad to a stick other than to practice and find out what comes naturally to you.

My advice is to relax your left hand and just let it rest on the base, while controlling the stick itself gently with your fingers and thumb. Unlike a spring-loaded American stick, Japanese sticks require very little effort to trigger and so you need to relax and be precise. Just whatever you do, don't grip it. There's no point since there's no resistance to require such force.

If your hand is sore from reaching all the buttons, however, you're doing it wrong Everyone has their own style, but what I do is rest hand down with three of my fingers resting on the top 3 buttons and then just moving from there. You definitely do not need to try and have your hand across all the buttons at once.. most people tend to play with only two fingers and then just move about the controls. I know when I'm doing tighter links in SF4, I'll start hunting-and-pecking to make sure I have my timing right.

Just practice and stick with it
Old 09-20-2009, 03:06 PM

DistractXfer has much to be proud of
learn eagle claw
Old 11-12-2009, 10:49 AM

whiskeyhicks has much to be proud of
The important thing to remember when playing with an arcade joystick is speed and grip. Sure finger placement/dexterity is good too, but it's all about the joystick. Keep your grip steady and work fast. (...Don't laugh!)

If you can't hit the 360 motion for a Spinning Piledriver without jumping in the air that means you're not fast enough for anything.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:03 AM

DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community
I'm surprised that title hasn't attracted more lewd comments.