11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 07-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Enthusiast

absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to absolutlush
Question D&D Classes You (Dis)Like
My post is in regards to 3.5 but it can be about any version. I've read 4.0 but not played it yet to make it sink in.

So I've always played tanks. Guild Wars, Neverwinter Nights, Eve-Online, just about any chance I get. So my very first experience with D&D I thought "hey! why not?! I'll play a barbarian, I love wrecking stuff. And anyways caster classes have to be hard with all that spell crap."

For a illiterate class they are the most involved mathematically.
Rage = +2con, +2str
bull str = +4str
enlarge person = +2str
+ dwarf hate of goblinoid bonuses
+ 2 handed vs 1 handed weaps
+ any feats (including the 1 level of fighter i took for the bonus feat and literacy)

not to metion any adding and other circumstantial bonuses such as flanking etc. And don't even get me started on my AC with all the dex penalties i didn't mention above. Oh yeah and the damn cooldown period for raging GAH!!! >.<

What class is the hardest or easiest for you?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
For me its about the magic missile. If I can't get my Fireball on at least once or twice a session, It just don't feel like D&D for me.

Personal Favourite: Dwarf Wizard.
Reasons: I love the fact that in almost all D&D realms, Dwarfs are tough little gits, but have natural magic immunities and resistances. Many people think Dwarf magic user and scoff, but that's fie by me, just means their guards down. Prefer playing Dragonlance for this, Thiewar Dwarfs are the only dwarven race to use magic, and they are dark, evil, sadistic little bast's. They are fun to play because not only do they make great spell casters, but assassins, sometimes all in the same small package. For roleplaying purposes, they are insane. I've played multiple personalities, spending sessions in argument with myself whist the rest of the party (and players) look on in horror.

Least liked Class: Ranger.
Reasons why: Ever read Lord of the Rings? Course you must have, just like everyone else. Ever wanted a kick arse ranger? Chances are, yes you have. Ever wanted to emulate Legolas? Of course you have, ELF LOVER!
Dear god, there are better characters, and better character classes for you, so why is it every open event I've been too, you get some pointy eared git lover wanting to play the damn shampoo poster-boy!
Elf + Ranger = Legolas clone, every ******* time. Its annoying and pathetic, why bother coming out and roleplaying, why not just stay at home and learn the damn lines from the book and film!

*Takes deep breath* sorry, but in almost every public game I've played (or watched) the ranger has tended to be a tall blonde elf with a bow and longsword, quipping like his genitals depended on it. But if I had to dislike a class on 'practical reasons, then it would have to be the Paladin.

"Oh look at me, a holy warrior on a quest to rid evil from this world and bring peace and love to all the people, because I have troubled past when <insert race here> killed my parents..." seriously, they are pointless characters. We have Warriors and Clerics, one to kick butt, one to take names and heal the wounded, it was the perfect marriage. But no, we need a class that could possibly do both whist never excelling at either, whilst looking pretty as they fail to hit.

Thing is, if people spent the points wisely at the beginning, you could make a cleric that is far, FAR better than a Paladin, that can even keep up with a Warrior in the butt kicking department.... making the Paladin even more pointless.

Anyway, I've ranted long enough, I hope I've helped.... It's doubtful, but you never know.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
@Hagan: But...but...I love my urban ranger! Then again, she's not a Legolas clone. She was a member of the city guard that specialized in missing person cases. She spent most of her time rubbing elbows with thieves guild informants and hobos, keeping an ear to the ground for all kinds of tips and whatnot.

....Oops! I have got the attention of a 3 yr old who wants to help me type. I'll have to actually be on topic later.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Enthusiast

Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community
In 2nd-3rd edition I was never very inclined towards the Wizard. I wasn't very keen on creating a character at low levels who would only be able to cast cantrips and a measly magic missile once a day. After these minor things are exhausted, one merely sits in the back with a quarterstaff and plays cheerleader for the warrior, whom when you look across the table is grinning ear to ear as he cleaves entire mobs of goblins in half with his greataxe. Very sad =(
Old 09-18-2009, 08:07 AM

AwwHeck is a jewel in the community AwwHeck is a jewel in the community
I always go fighter,
i just love being able to use pretty much any metalic melee weapon ,with option of use of bows and arrows, fort he cost f some defense...

but i actually did a good one 4.0
We had altogether 5 playing people, and our DM and the Races+classes, IIRC were
1 Dragonborn Paladin(friend of mine)
1 elven rogue(brother of the friend)
teifling (?)mage(?) (other, youngest brother of my friend)
1 Drawven Warlord (our leader on-field, brother of DM)
And a scale-mail-clad, glasses-wearing, mullet-styled Eldarin(?spelling?) Fighter with 30 hp, a greatsword and teleport = Me

i had the most HP out of all of us anddid the msot support by usingmy teleprots to transfer items between players and did a good number of Kills
it's big cause we were outnumbered 10 to 1 iirc, and i got about 21 killshots, 3 were full-time Kills, however our rogue fought off an onslaught of 4 mages without taking a single hit...lucky Eldarin-wannabe

my least fave is, and was, andw ll always be cleric, sorry but i gotta be honest, celric never sounded cool to a great-weapon user like myself
Last edited by AwwHeck : 09-18-2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: oops forgot soemthing
Old 09-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to absolutlush
I'm trying out a Halfling Rogue in DDO now and it's difficult to change my mindset. It's a cool class though I think this might be my next class whenever my character gets killed or we start a new campaign for pen and paper. The backstab is pretty fun stuff. Our 3.5 cleric is doing pretty good. but like you mentioned, awwheck, he kinda throws his spells out then hopes to get an occasional (safe) hit in with his mace every now and then.

And for the love of all things holy why can't a cleric in our campaigns ever have a good turning roll? What is it with Clerics that says they have to roll low when it is important?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 PM

NotU is a jewel in the community
I tend to multi-class. My favourite combination are fighter/mage (or fighter/mage/thief) and fighter/cleric. I also have fairly well mastered turning just about any class into an assassin.

My least favourite to play would probably be the bard. I just cannot really pull one off.

My Website

Old 09-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutlush View Post
And for the love of all things holy why can't a cleric in our campaigns ever have a good turning roll? What is it with Clerics that says they have to roll low when it is important?
Its just sods law. All clerics are sods, so they roll low when you need them too. Until your cleric gets to a certain level, they are little more than a warrior who can only use a hammer or mace. Instead of turning undead, just hit the sodding things... repeatedly, till they are a fine paste. Then make sandwiches and sell them to the poor for quick coin (ah, dark clerics have all the best idea's).
Old 09-24-2009, 12:44 PM

NotU is a jewel in the community
Absolutlush just needs to pre-roll all the low numbers out of the dice...

My Website

Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 PM

AwwHeck is a jewel in the community AwwHeck is a jewel in the community
actually my beef with the cleric is moreso a beef with both clerics and mystic attackers but is two-fold toward clerics

Clerics take the laast fave as they can, form what i've seen, only use hammers or maces and their players always do that 'i'm so holy i'm unable to flaw' stuff

but my other beef is for the love of allthing pure and most perfect why cant mystic offense users use low-end healing magic? and thus why cant cleric use low-end attack magic?

thats my beef,

every other RPG they can, but D&D they cant...bugs me to no end...