11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by redknightalex View Post
Technical Stability: No contest, PS3 wins. Sony's products never seem to die, at least the ones I own. My PS2 is one of the old version and I've had it for eight years now. I keep it running for days on end sometimes without a hitch. I expect it to still be running when the Apocalypse comes. For the PS3 I would be mad if it ever broke down on me but, even if it did, I wouldn't worry. My old boss had his PS3 die on him and Sony was great about fixing it up, and fast iirc. Then there's my old PSP that won't die either.

Xbox Live: If you aren't really going to be using Xbox Live then why are you getting the 360? That's the main appeal of the 360, at least how I see it, and if you aren't going to use it I think you would be happier with the PS3. Also, be aware that Microsoft wants you to pay for an adapter, another $100, if you want to get wireless internet. PS3 has it included. This was important for me. And don't forget PSN is free.
I must point out several things here

1. An xbox 360 treated perfectly can last as long or even longer than a PS3, mine outlasted my 3 friends PS3s and i've had my orginal xbox 360 since it came out (however it finally went out on its limb finally just last week but not before a hellabolooza of a gaming week binge)

2. Microsoft is decent at helping i mean they gave quick response times though i will admit they often will be lazy when it comes to repairing as they rather you comb the FAQs first.

3. Wireless Internet is still reciveble without the adapter. You have to use a laptop though that has a wireless router but ti still doable and you can still use a PC monitor and use a Ethernet cable to get the connection to the internet and play your 360 off the comptuer screen.

4. Xbox LIVE isn't the appeal to me its the range of games that came out and the way it seems to handle i prefer the controller layout and such to the PS3 altogether.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast

CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community
yeah the 360 has had problems with their systems but customer service is really good. There aren't as many cases of the RRoD as there use to be.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 PM

SpiffyChicken14 has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SpiffyChicken14
I personally own both PS3 and 360, and have so for that last couple years. I have found myself using the systems for different things.

360 - Anytime I wanna play online, with friends or not, I always go with the 360. Halo 3 and COD 4 are the staple games here, and it will take a long time for those to get old. The online community is just so much bigger, and IMO worth every bit of the $50 a year.

PS3 - Mostly single player titles here. I am currently making my way through Metal Gear Solid 4, and enjoy stuff like Uncharted, etc. Sure I always like the Resistance titles, but I don't think they're at the same level as the 360 exclusives.

It's always tough for me to choose what platform I should go with on a multi-platform game. I usually stick to those notions, though. For example, COD 4 I got for 360, but I have Bioshock for PS3. I also probably would not have gotten a PS3 if I didn't have so many PS1/2 titles.

Recently I recommended the 360 over the PS3 to a friend. This was based off their personal tastes, and the fact that a 360 is about half the cost of the PS3 (although that changes slightly with accessories and whatnot). For you, I would say go with the 360. The most important part is to make sure the system has the games you wanna play, which you already state the 360 does. Not paying for LIVE saves you some money, and also the wireless adapter which is moot anyway. The stability issue I would say has been fixed at this point, so no worries there. Honestly though, at this point, you can't really go wrong.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
As far as getting wireless, just do what I do and position your router in close proximity to your Xbox. I have both my 360 and PS3 hard-wired to my router, which sits to the right of my TV. Only my Wii is set up for WiFi, simply because it's easy to set up. When I had my PS3 hooked up wirelessly it pitched a fit whenever another device accessed my network (my laptop, iPhone, Wii, etc.). It was easier just to run an ethernet cable to the damn thing.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:35 PM

xMac73 has set foot on a distinguished road
Not much more I can add to the answers here --- a lot of great responses.

When deciding on my next-gen console (back in early '07), I picked the Xbox 360 over PS3. Mind you, I've had about every gaming console on every platform prior to this-gen. However, having owned an Xbox and a PS2 and a Gamecube, I enjoyed a lot more of the games on Xbox, and I liked the controller better, too.

Because I enjoyed the original Xbox so much, for me the decision was easy to go with the 360. The game titles were far superior to what the PS3 was offering (at least way back then). Xbox LIVE (MP gaming, co-op, private chat, parties, vision cam, dated achievements) and the Xbox Arcade (almost every classic '80s arcade game) + sooooo many more games have been the best parts of this-gen gaming.

I think the RRoD issue is going to be moot issue for you because of the 3-year warranty --- especially if you're just buying it (it'll be covered for however much longer the console has before the next one launches). Xbox Customer Support is great. The repair process is automated online and it couldn't be simpler or faster.

I've got 3 360s and lots of multiple-copies of games --- playing MP with my kids over Xbox LIVE is one of the best gaming experiences as a father.

I'm thinking Project Natal is going to be a major selling point in the coming months for the 360.

I'm not sure about the PSN, but on Xbox LIVE you can download music, music videos, current and classic TV shows, and full-length movies, share photos, etc. With the Fall Update on Xbox LIVE, you'll be able to download full retail games (no more disks), interface directly with facebook, twitter, and last.fm radio --- all directly from the console.

It kinda seems like a no-brainer to me, hehe!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention --- achievements, gamerscore, online leaderboards, great gaming communities (like 360voice ) and online gaming stats that would blow your mind!!!

My 360voice Blog | My Xbox Profile
Last edited by xMac73 : 07-18-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Another few points~
Old 07-23-2009, 02:33 AM
Enthusiast

JinTetra is a jewel in the community JinTetra is a jewel in the community
Thank you all so much for your input! ^_^

mykalgaidin: Thank you for considering the games in my profile in making your conjecture about which system I may prefer.

redknightalex: Thank you for giving one of the best side-by-side comparisons I've read in some time while managing not to let your fangirlism sway your judgment. You earned that achievement!

echo65: Thank you for the offer. I'll keep you in mind if I go the path of the 360.

Sensational: Thank you for the laugh.

rabb1t: Thank you for your analysis. I never thought of it that way before. Oh, how quickly the future sneaks up on us.

xMac73: Thank you for clarifying the warranty issue. I don't know much about stuff and junk, and it always helps to be informed.

Anyone whom I didn't mention, you know I love you!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Well, which one are you going to get? The entirety of gDNA waits with bated breath...
Old 07-26-2009, 04:53 AM
Enthusiast

JinTetra is a jewel in the community JinTetra is a jewel in the community
After additional offline consulting, it's looking like when I go to get myself a new console, it will likely be the 360 I come home with.

Despite being a Sony fanboy simply because of the original PlayStation, I can't overlook the facts when comparing the two systems. Most sources, including those on gDNA, tell me a modern, well-treated 360 will last, and that the PS3 just doesn't have the games or developers backing it.

Thanks once more for your input, all. Of course, anyone who missed this thread the first time around is still free to post their thoughts.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 PM

MrODoyle is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to MrODoyle
I always try to be non-fanboyish when it comes to this, and my answer is almost always the same.

IN. MY. OPINION...

The 360 has the better (and I'm pretty sure it has the bigger, in ANYONES opinion) library.

Every game I've ever played looks better on the PS3, but that could be because my PS3 is HDMI, whereas my 360 is only component. However, if you're buying new, I would recommend buying an Elite because it has the HDMI hookup.

Live is BY FAR better than the PlayStation Network, it's more streamlined and user-friendly.

360's cheaper, I think. It's been a while since I bought new.

I would definitely vote for the 360.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast

echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community
All of the 360 SKUs come with an HDMI port now. It's just the Elite also provides the cable. Also @Jin: When are you planning on picking up the Box de la X?