11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Enthusiast

JinTetra is a jewel in the community JinTetra is a jewel in the community
Question Choosing a Next-Gen Console
By now, every Sam Everyman and his dog have a next generation console, and I think perhaps I too might get myself one. I have a multi-part question to pose to this grand ol' community.

Currently, I'm leaning most towards the XBox 360, simply because it has the best (or at least, my personal favorite type of) games out there. However, I've heard horror stories about the Red Ring of Death and so many other technical problems that appear to plague the console. At this point in time, do you guys think it would be safe to buy a new 360 and not have to worry about it having problems a month later? Also, I don't see myself partaking in XBox Live. Would that limit severely the value of the console?

As for the next part of my question, I would like to know if any of you think I'm mistaken and that the PS3 would be the superior choice. I'm really not at all interested in the Wii, so that's a non-factor. Would my money be better spent on a PS3 over the 360, citing examples such as available games and, more importantly, technical stability?

I don't want to rush into a decision I might regret later, and you all seem so knowledgable and helpful. Many thanks!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:30 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Well, judging by the games you have listed in your DNA, you might enjoy the 360 the most. Microsoft has been quietly introducing systems with newer chipsets, reducing the number of RRODs. I've personally never had a problem with hardware. I've had the same 360 for two years, and the same PS3 for one. I still have a first-gen PSP that works perfectly, and there's nary a hinge crack on my DS Lite.

Console exclusivity is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, as most AAA titles are released on both the 360 and the PS3 for the simple reason that it's about the only way for publishers to recoup the trememndous amount of money it takes to develop those big-name games. This makes the choice of which console to get largely a matter of which first-party titles you prefer (God of War, Halo, etc.).
Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 AM

redknightalex is a jewel in the community redknightalex is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to redknightalex
Ah, the question that will launch a thousand fanboys.

But a few good question indeed. I'll do my best here although you should know I own a PS3 and have little intention of buying a 360. If I sound fangirlish please excuse me, it's hard sometimes pulling for the "other team" if you will. Now, lets get to specifics, shall we?

Technical Stability: No contest, PS3 wins. Sony's products never seem to die, at least the ones I own. My PS2 is one of the old version and I've had it for eight years now. I keep it running for days on end sometimes without a hitch. I expect it to still be running when the Apocalypse comes. For the PS3 I would be mad if it ever broke down on me but, even if it did, I wouldn't worry. My old boss had his PS3 die on him and Sony was great about fixing it up, and fast iirc. Then there's my old PSP that won't die either.

Xbox Live: If you aren't really going to be using Xbox Live then why are you getting the 360? That's the main appeal of the 360, at least how I see it, and if you aren't going to use it I think you would be happier with the PS3. Also, be aware that Microsoft wants you to pay for an adapter, another $100, if you want to get wireless internet. PS3 has it included. This was important for me. And don't forget PSN is free.

Games: A lot of games are multi-platform now, which is both a gift and a curse. If you like to PC game then be aware that many 360 games migrate to the PC, it can just take a few years.

360 Exclusives to PC: Halo, Fable, Mass Effect, Gears of War

360 Exclusives: Found a great site (with lots of pictures and descriptions) that looks at upcoming exclusives. http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread...d=70275&page=1 Worth checking out. For current exclusives check Wikipedia.

PS3 Exclusives: God of War III, Killzone 2, Resistance, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted. Source: Wikipedia

Hope this helps you out and that I didn't sound too biased. I'm really not a fangirl and would have picked a 360 if it had suited my needs. But I love my PS3 and I'm very happy with my choice.
Last edited by redknightalex : 07-15-2009 at 01:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-15-2009, 02:23 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Now this is what I like to see. A well reasoned response that cites sources. Not a hint of fangirl/boy-ism, just personal preference. Kudos to you, gaming sister!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 AM
Enthusiast

echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community
I had two PS2s die on me . Guess I'm unlucky. Did prompt me to buy an Xbox though. Also have a friend whose PS3 died just outside of warranty. Also unlucky. Sony wanted $150 to repair... As said, more problematic 360 units have been phased out and Microsoft is still keeping up with the policy of 3 year extended warranty if you get one and it craps out. If you do get a 360 Jin I can point you toward the newest chipset Jasper units. Also, I second Mykal's post. Good post Alex.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:19 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo65 View Post
I had two PS2s die on me .
That seems pretty unlucky, seemed to me like the PS2s were pretty sturdy, mine worked great from the day it was released in Europe, with constant usage, until last year when I traded it for a WoW account. Could still be up and running for all I know.

As for the next gen console question, I think the PS3 could be a better long-term choice. Microsoft likes re-releasing the same stuff in a new package every year and the 360 has been out for a while now. But then again, you never know what Sony will screw up next.

I guess there's always the Wii if you can't afford a treadmill, really like Italian plumbers or happen to be an 80 year old lady with a case of Epilepsy that prevents you from playing games like Halo 3 and MGS4.
Last edited by Sensational : 07-15-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:29 AM

redknightalex is a jewel in the community redknightalex is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to redknightalex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
As for the next gen console question, I think the PS3 could be a better long-term choice. Microsoft likes re-releasing the same stuff in a new package every year and the 360 has been out for a while now. But then again, you never know what Sony will screw up next.
Weren't there rumors of Microsoft doing a Natal bundle/console in a year that would make the current 360's obsolete?

ETA: @mykalgaidin - that's the best thing I've seen all day!
Last edited by redknightalex : 07-15-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 AM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by redknightalex View Post
Weren't there rumors of Microsoft doing a Natal bundle/console in a year that would make the current 360's obsolete?

That's the rumor, at any rate. Given the standard console life-cycle of 5 years 2010 would be the earliest you'd see any announcements. Although Microsoft has said that with firmware updates they could extend the life of the 360 several years.

Personally, I don't want to spend another $300-$600 for another console when the consoles I already have work just fine and have plenty of games coming out over the next couple years.

@redknightalex: Here's where I made that achievement.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:00 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by redknightalex View Post

According to: http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....-6109/1123102/

... it's going to work with all 360s. I wonder how this (And all the other motion technology) is going to affect competitive gaming in the future. I guess I need to hit up the gym if I want to be the future number one. I just hope you can sit down for all that...
Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
As someone who camped the PS3 at launch until I got one I have this to say... the PS3 effectively has zero momentum. They are losing developers left and right and exclusive games are either going non-exclusive or taking elebentybillion years to come out.

IF you have a 1080p screen and a 5.1 surround system running off HDMI to take advantage of 5.1 uncompressed audio and will be collecting Blu-ray movies go PS3 and don't look back. If you don't care about Blu-ray and only care about games, from what I can tell the 360 has way more developer support, far more developer support for downloadable content, and still holds a fair amount of momentum. (Once you find a fun downloadable game you'll be addicted and always checking back. )

Long term... I wouldn't worry about long term. While it's true developers are saying they have pretty much capped the tech of the 360 and are really only starting to tap into the PS3, they are also still referencing that the PS3 is a big pain to work with and there is hardly any support from Sony in terms of development kits. At this point it looks like this may never change and their only hope to lure developers back is to show off the PS4 as easy to develop for.

Even if we just assume a 2 year turn around time for PS3 to get it's momentum back, that's 2 years of time that MS has to announce the 'Xbox Next' and gain the attention of the gamers. I think the community will give serious hesitation to the next PS while they wouldn't worry too much about the Xbox. (Yea, the RRD issue will put a lot off, but that should be fixed by now.) Many feel scared from the high launch prices of PS3 and dwindling developer support. (I would almost go so far as to say only those, like me, who got one just as much for Blu-ray as games are still "happy" with the purchase.)

Sure, we know Sony has 3D gaming in development and has already shown off some titles tweaked to use it, but that really won't matter if the PS4 is as much of a development pain as the PS3 has proven to be, or if 'Xbox Next' stats are announced and it has HDMI uncompressed audio with 3D and is easy to program for. PS3 just really hasn't gotten the developer love a console needs. (Just look at recent statements from Activision/Blizzard saying that if they don't get better support and see a price drop on PS3 they are considering dropping development alltogether for the entire Sony line.)

Don't look at "the future". Don't even look at a year from now. Both consoles are old enough we should expect the next system announcement any day now. Note that the 360 is nearing 5 years old and the PS3 is nearing 3 years old. When you hit the 5-7 year point of a console it's about time that it's cooling off and the next version should be coming out. At 3-5 you can put bets that the next one is already in development. While the PS3 is 'younger' and isn't tapped technologically, the complexity and lack of developer support is really going to hurt them (Sony) and they need to do something about that soon. Considering they can't change the cell (CPU) it's more likely they will shorten the development cycle on PS4 and make the architecture more developer friendly.

Do consider the technology and support from developers, but more importantly take a look at what games you want to play, see what's right around the corner, and go with that.

Be mindful there are rumors that MS will create a new bundle soon that includes their new motion controller camera thingy.