11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 AM

rachelmusil has much to be proud of
Question The Sims 2 blue screen frustration.
So, when I play The Sims 2 I can play for maybe an hour or so, but then everything stops, a blue screen pops up with a bunch of white text. It doesn't stay up long enough for me to read it at all, then my computer restarts on it's own.
Any ideas?
My computer is fairly new, and goes way above the minimum system requirements, so that shouldn't be an issue.
My boyfriend suggested cleaning off all the dust in the fan and cd drive. I tried with one of those compressed air things, but I'm not sure it did much of anything.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 AM

n3rd is a jewel in the community n3rd is a jewel in the community
Send a message via ICQ to n3rd
What would be helpful in this case is posting a minidump (gets written when the pc crashes to bsod). As you can play for ~an hour, it may be overheating of the graphic card, but thatīs not sure.

Configure the dump type
To configure startup and recovery options to use the small memory dump file, follow these steps.

Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
  1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Double-click System.
  3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  4. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

To change the folder location for the small memory dump files, type a new path in the Dump File box (or in the Small dump director box, depending on your version of Windows).
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B315263&x=9&y=6

Then, after you succeeded doing so, you can upload it and post it here, so we can take a look

If you need help in configuring this, just let us know your operating system, than itīs easier to tell you how to set it up.

n3rd