11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 05-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
Another world/Out of this world

Just wondering how many fans there are for this game.. it's been my all time favorite since I first played it on my Sega Genesis, and not too long ago bought the anniversary edition for PC...

seriously Eric Chahi is a genius...
Old 06-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
I remember seeing a friend play this on his Amiga back in the day, and it looked and sounded wonderful.

When the High Resolution Collector's Edition was sold online, I bought it digitally.
I saw it packaged in a brick and mortar store a while later; wish I'd known that was an option.
Not that I would've bought it twice anyway, but I never saw it in stores besides that one time.

This is one of the games that is on my To Play/Finish list.
I didn't get very far when I started, got distracted by other things.
I am really bad at that... should play this again sometime soon.

And now the theme song is stuck in my head.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Famous Member

Crystalia is a jewel in the community Crystalia is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Crystalia Send a message via MSN to Crystalia Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKain View Post
Just wondering how many fans there are for this game.. it's been my all time favorite since I first played it on my Sega Genesis, and not too long ago bought the anniversary edition for PC...

seriously Eric Chahi is a genius...
The image you posted made me curious.
I'm gonna have to look this game up. Never heard of it until now.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
actually the image is a very good depiction of the overall feeling of the game, you'll enjoy it i'm sure, just be warned its very hard and there will be alot of trial and error, but its very rewarding
Old 07-01-2009, 09:01 AM

doxxan is community member of note
Very hard indeed. Just getting past the first few slug creatures is an adventure in itself.

Very, very good game. Lot's of good ole' memories surfacing.

"What is darkness? It doesn't exist where there's light, and without light, it's nothing..."
Old 07-11-2009, 06:15 PM

Niteraid has set foot on a distinguished road
I love this game! I had it on the Amiga and SNES. I got the Collector's Editon too mainly for the "making of" extras. I love running this at 1920x1080 on my tv upstairs. Looks fantastic, I was thinking a long time ago of doing a video walkthrough type of thing just for fun but I never really had any motivation to do it.

This is one game that tells a compelling story even though it has no speech. It's almost like playing a short movie. If you never played it, I REALLY recommend it, and if you like it check out Blackthorne and Flashback.

Remember the intense quick Colosseum stage? Pressing buttons to try to escape while you see a bomb coming towards you?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:17 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteraid View Post
I love this game! I had it on the Amiga and SNES. I got the Collector's Editon too mainly for the "making of" extras. I love running this at 1920x1080 on my tv upstairs. Looks fantastic, I was thinking a long time ago of doing a video walkthrough type of thing just for fun but I never really had any motivation to do it.

This is one game that tells a compelling story even though it has no speech. It's almost like playing a short movie. If you never played it, I REALLY recommend it, and if you like it check out Blackthorne and Flashback.

Remember the intense quick Colosseum stage? Pressing buttons to try to escape while you see a bomb coming towards you?

oh god that part was amazing

glad to see another fan of the game. I'm also a big fan of flashback, it was my first taste of this flavour in gaming, but Another World just took the cake as it was so much better.. in some ways, Flashback is a better game, but Another World is a better piece of art... if that makes sense to anyone...
Old 07-13-2009, 01:06 PM

Niteraid has set foot on a distinguished road
Yeah. Flashback is a much bigger game with a more expanded story. Another World though leaves so much more to the imagination as it literally just throws you straight into it. I remember the SNES version has a little Star Wars style introduction that seems to be like a diary entry from Lester talking about his Alien friend. It just gives a little more depth to it.

I just remembered too, there was a sequel to Another World on Mega CD called Heart of the Alien where you play as the good Alien. I don't think it had anything to do with the original creator though which is a shame. I never actually finished it as it's sort of frustrating.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:11 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteraid View Post
Yeah. Flashback is a much bigger game with a more expanded story. Another World though leaves so much more to the imagination as it literally just throws you straight into it. I remember the SNES version has a little Star Wars style introduction that seems to be like a diary entry from Lester talking about his Alien friend. It just gives a little more depth to it.

I just remembered too, there was a sequel to Another World on Mega CD called Heart of the Alien where you play as the good Alien. I don't think it had anything to do with the original creator though which is a shame. I never actually finished it as it's sort of frustrating.

yeah, i never played the sequal but i know that Lester actually dies in it, which is a shame
Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
The first two Oddworld games had a similar structure as I recall, plus the ability to fart on command, which is the single greatest advancement in video games, ever. Yes, I can be quite juvenile at times.