11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 PM

Retsamypoc is community member of note
A good antivirus for a gamer.
I had to reinstall my os today and had to format all of my partitions since my sys32 file got deleted from pulling out a cooler.Yeah I know how it sounds.I can't remember what antivirus i had though and since the keylogger spree for mmo passwords is reallly intense,specialy for wow,I was wondering what you guys use?

Edit: Ops sorry wrong forum >.> .I really need some coffee
Old 06-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Famous Member

Crystalia is a jewel in the community Crystalia is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Crystalia Send a message via MSN to Crystalia Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalia
I don't have an anti-virus on my personal PC cause I never felt like it was necessary BUT I use Avast on my laptop (work computer). It's free and seems to work fine.

I don't know if it would work well for ya with what you just mentioned though....
Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
I don't use anti-virus, I'm just smart about what kind of crap I download on the intarwebz. Do the same and you don't need anti-virus either.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:00 PM

redknightalex is a jewel in the community redknightalex is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to redknightalex
I only use my anti-virus, AVG Free, every few weeks or so, whenever I remember to at least. I never have it run in the background and I try to turn off all the services I can for it.

After trying out a bunch of different free anti-virus software, I stuck with AVG, even if it can be more resource intensive sometimes. It didn't have any pop-ups (Avira had that, IIRC) and the interface was pretty easy to use (unlike Avast). As much as AVG is annoying I can't really find a better alternative. And don't pay for anything, you get all the goods for free and those anti-virus bundles come with firewalls and spyware programs you don't need.

You should also consider your anti-spyware program too, they are much more important in keeping malicious software out. I have a much harder time keeping malware off of my pc, even with all my downloading, than I do keeping viruses off of it. Spy-bot is the king and pretty much the only maintenance software I use regularly. And seeing as your worried about keyloggers this is probably the way to go.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:39 PM

Retsamypoc is community member of note
thanks for the advice.. i'll stick with something free and ccleaner + spy bot/adaware
Old 06-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast

Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Stay away from Spy Bot. It causes as many problems as it solves.

CCleaner and AdAware are great products, but you have to remember to use them daily and keep AdAware updated. AdAware also spots more keyloggers and data miners than Spy Bot.

The free version of AVG is a great anti-virus for gamers. It has never interfered with any of my games so far, and it easily removes viruses which most free antivirus programs simply detect and can't remove. Just remember to set it to not automatically check for updates, and then remember to manually update it at least once a week when you aren't playing.

Just in case you get infected with something that's harder to remove, I reccomend you also get Hijack This. It's a scanning program which identifies possible threats by what they do, rather than by comparing their characteristics to known viruses. If you know your way around your OS well enough, you can use it to spot changes made by viruses too new to be in the definition files of your antivirus.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 PM

redknightalex is a jewel in the community redknightalex is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to redknightalex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
Stay away from Spy Bot. It causes as many problems as it solves.
I've never had, or heard, of any problems relating to Spybot. Do you have any links? I'm curious because, even if I haven't had any problems so far, it might be a cause for concern. I like my pc to run smoothly.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:17 AM

Captainclown has much to be proud of
As a CPS major I'm on a lot of shady sites. I don't always use anti-virus, but when I do, I use Avast! I also drink Dos Equis.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:17 AM

LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community
Personally, I'm a big fan of ESET's Nod32 and Smart Security suites. Up until a few months ago I was using ESET's Nod32 Anti-Virus program, but when it came due for a license update, I decided to use their Smart Security 4 instead, and I've been nothing but happy with it!

It's an excellent program and, while it's not free, it does come highly* recommended.

One of my favorite features is that it has almost no memory footprint and has almost zero effect on your system's performance. Even during a full, in-depth, scan!

You can also download pre-set parameters such as one specifically made with gamers in mind.

I highly encourage everyone here to check out their site and read more about them!

*It should be noted that this review is of V.3.0 of ESET's Anti-Virus. V.4.0 has since come out and corrects many of the issues expressed in the review.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:14 AM

Zacko is community member of note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalia View Post
I don't have an anti-virus on my personal PC cause I never felt like it was necessary BUT I use Avast on my laptop (work computer). It's free and seems to work fine.

I don't know if it would work well for ya with what you just mentioned though....
Avast is god, Or Jesus, who knows. Sure, it is over-protective sometimes, but that doesn't inhibit you like Vista does most of the time. ;P