11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 08-12-2008, 08:07 AM

Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community
A Lost Relic In The New Age
I feel that the new generation of gamers has lost or never known about they're roots, they're gaming heritage. I feel like I am a stranger in this world, because every time I talk about games/consoles that are older than the SNES, I am looked at like I'm Stupid, like it doesn't even matter, I feel like a lost relic in a age where I don't belong.
And when I show the newer generation, I am laughed at "look at that thing its graphics are crap!" "who the hell would want to play that piece of junk?!" ect.
I wonder is there anyone out there that feels the same?
Who out there has consoles or games from long ago?
Can we show the new generation that we never had it this good back then, that we weren't excepted in society, as we are now.?
What has happened to RESPECT in the gaming world? Back then we did rant on other ppl after beating them or there high score, but we didn't disrespect them.

...Sigh
Old 08-12-2008, 08:30 PM

ThaRealCuber has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to ThaRealCuber
Although I never played anything older than the NES (gaming just came in to my life with the NES, played a day or two on a Commodore 64) I do understand the importance of the older stuff. Without it we wouldn't be where we are now. So embrace it. If you (or I) ever get a chance to play some of the very old games on the starting console I sure as hell would play it.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 PM
gamerDNA Staff

ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to ChangeAgent Send a message via Yahoo to ChangeAgent Send a message via Skype™ to ChangeAgent
Funny that we just posted a Decades of Influence Quiz about this! (see my results in the sig)...

I don't think it is anything different than it has always been. Coming from a older generation of gaming gives us unique perspective that others don't have, but we can't expect them to understand or share those moments. They are forming their own moments now... and 20 years from now, they will look back on these days as equally primitive.

So I can't really fault them... it is just the cycle of experiences.

| VP/Products - GamerDNA.com| Founder/Creator - 360voice.com| Blogger - Trappermarkelz.com |
Old 08-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
My first console was an Atari 2600, my uncles old console he had to get rid of when he got married. It was awesome. Trust me, your not the only one who feels a little old these days, just remember you have experience most of the kiddies today just can't get.

They've been so spoiled with all the latest tech, they have nothing to fall back on when there 1337ness fails them. Experience makes the gamer, not the tech.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Takedo has much to be proud of
Oh how I remember those golden C64 times, many ppl nowadays get frustrated if the game doesn't start within 30secs, we were lucky to get the game started in 30mins xD
Old 08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
gamerDNA Staff

ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to ChangeAgent Send a message via Yahoo to ChangeAgent Send a message via Skype™ to ChangeAgent
Yeah I remember you had to type those crazy load commands like:
OPEN 5*,"0:AWESOMEVIDEOGAME,//S,-W"

Or something nutty... Raid over Moscow was my favorite.

| VP/Products - GamerDNA.com| Founder/Creator - 360voice.com| Blogger - Trappermarkelz.com |
Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 PM

Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community
I've uploaded some Images if you want to see...
Its kind of taking forever to upload 81 pics.

some of the pics like the shots of the game play there is a glar from the flash so I'm going to retake the game Pics
Last edited by Bloodysoldier : 08-16-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM

Myrothantos has much to be proud of
I recently had a similar kind of realization. I teach English in Japan, and whenever I give my self introduction, I like to talk about my hobbies (gaming!), and I'll often say things like, "my favorite game is Street Fighter." I'm teaching kids that are about 11-15 years old. The majority of them are having a blast on their PSP (everyone LOVES Monster Hunter), DS, or Wii/PS3 at home, but the name "Street Fighter" is met with blank faces by about 80% of students. This is IN Japan we're talking about. When I was an exchange student to Japan years ago, with students of similar ages, I'd say maybe 90% of students knew Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, and not only did they just "know" these games, many of them played. These days, tastes are different, people are playing less sophisticated and more casual games.

I once got the question, "how many consoles do you have," and I listed off everything, starting with my first which was NES. Whispers ensued, including comments like, "ah, that piece of junk?" and, "what is that?"

Mega Man is also largely unknown by kids these days. It's kind of upsetting to know my childhood heroes like Mega Man may be almost entirely forgotten in a century or so.

All of this was in Japanese terms, NES = famicon, Mega Man = Rock Man, etc., so it really wasn't an issue like that, these kids just genuinely don't know some of these things...
Old 09-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Waow u ppl r old l0l. grafikz r evaryting dat matterz. Da 360 pwns ur old krap any dai.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:10 PM

MnGeezer has much to be proud of
I used to head down to the local roller rink, throw on some skates, roll up to the classic arcade football game (you know the one with X's and O's and a roller ball) with my quarter in hand.....ever so slightly touch the quarter to the metal slot, get a static shock and a free game of football!

Now that my friends was a long time ago!