11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast

Hexblood is a jewel in the community Hexblood is a jewel in the community
Diablo 2 Noob
Ok so I just picked up the Battlechest a few days ago and am already loving this game.

I have just been playing the Single Player option so far. Just a bit ago I figured out I can get my equips back after a death by checking my corpse.

I have been looking at some guides and forums on the game but most is geared for the experienced player. So I am looking for tips and such for a new player. Links to posts and guides welcome.

If anyone wants to set up an online game to teach some stuff that is cool to; just lemme know. I am finding myself on mostly late night East.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Not sure which guides you have checked out, but here are links to the game and expansion pack on GameFAQs. Hope they help.

Diablo II: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/dos...me/197113.html

Diablo II LoD: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/dos...me/370600.html

Old 06-17-2009, 11:57 AM

spookygirl is a jewel in the community
Mmmm memories... I probably spent more time playing D2 on battle.net than just about any other online game.. The best way to learn the diablo games is really just to run certain area over and over, I don't remember if you can do it in single player but what I used to do on B.net is run a chapter a few times before moving on to the next.. that way i was never undergeared, underleveled or underfunded...

^_^ suppose it all depends how much time you wanna invest.., back in 2001 it was worth the effort, probably not so much now...

When Diablo 3 launches next year I imagine the obsession will probably come back lol...

-
Resa
Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
oh so true Diablo3 is gonna rock

I think the best advice is simply to play it, you'll be surprised how simple the game is to learn just by playing it... dont worry so much about leveling correctly on your first character just enjoy it
Old 06-17-2009, 05:03 PM

redknightalex is a jewel in the community redknightalex is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to redknightalex
I find it to be the most annoying piece of advice but playing the game really helps. Even if you only get through Act II you've got most of the fundamentals down.

I loved playing this game a lot when I was younger. It lost the spark somewhere between optimizing my build and hunting for weapons. Making magic find runs just didn't hold their appeal for long. It probably didn't help that I only did single player.

The biggest resource for me was wandering through the forums at diii.net (back then it was called dii.net). They have a lot of strategy guides at the forums for all kinds of different builds, and advice on which ones work the best for your style of play. They also have a newcomer forum to help acquaint the new initiates to the place and diablo in general. If you have any time to spare check that place out, I'm sure it'll help.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

Kewl, thanks guys. I been looking at the FAQs on GameFAQs and just found diii.net after posting last night.

I'll have to poke around the newcomer board.

Mostly just looking for little tidbits like checking the corpse to get gear back and stuff like that.

I really regret not playing this sooner, it is a lot of fun.

D3 does look amazing, that is why I decided to give D2 a try so I was a bit more familiar with some aspects of the franchise. Definitely looking forward to the skill bar instead of having to to use the F keys LOL.

For those that have played in the past, they are resetting the ladders soon. From the sound of things lots of people are expected to come back to the game after that.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:11 PM

redknightalex is a jewel in the community redknightalex is a jewel in the community
Do you know about using the alt key to pick up items? Whenever you hold down the alt key all items on the ground will have their names pop-up on the screen. You then click on the name and it goes right into your inventory. This is really handy and took me at least a year to figure it out. Without it you can go crazy searching for that one item you know dropped from a monster and all because it's underneath the corpse.

When you are buying scrolls like identify or town portal, hold the shift key down and right click on the scroll you want. If you have a tomb of them it will automatically be filled to either the limit for tombs (20 each) or you run out of cash. There are also a couple of shortcuts for selling items but I can't remember them now.

And make sure to identify each item before you sell it if it's magic, etc. The value goes way up!

For each act there is a limit to how much you can sell an item for. So if you have an item you want to sell that's a nice round, high number (like 10,000 or something like that), you might want to wait until the next act to sell it.

Items you leave on the ground will disapear after a while (can't remember the time limit they have). Of course, everytime you restart the game all items on the ground are lost anyway. Gold also counts.

If you haven't noticed already the names of the items can change color based on what type they are, ie rare, unique, set, etc. Sets are green, uniques are a gold color, rares are yellow, grays are socketed, and magic are blue.

If you hold down the shift key you can keep your character standing in one place while they attack. This helps when you're using projectiles or spells.

Every time you die you do loose a little experience in nightmare and hell difficulties. Of course on hardcore when you die you die!

Are you working on a specific build/character? I'm not so good at most of the characters out there but I always loved my paladins!

That's all the little things I can think of at this moment. Sorry if some of them seemed basic. Hope it helps!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, I had found a few of those I had found out but a few I did not know yet.

Yeah, after my first run in the game I went and read up on builds. I have been using a Bone Necro and want to try out a couple Druid builds. I would like to try out a Pally but not sure on the build I want to use.

There are some rumors floating around that patch 1.13 is going to kill the Hammerdin build. I however am still waiting for official word.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 AM

I guess I'm behind on the times: I didn't know they were going to make another patch. Patch 1.12 was a bit of a bust if I recall correctly, it just added a no-cd patch to it. I could be wrong about that. Blizzard making another patch shouldn't have surprised me. They like to take their time in making them and adding to the game. I guess it keeps it going a lot longer than it had any right to.

It would be very sad if they killed the hammerdin build, that's been around for ages! I've never used it myself I just know it has been a staple of that paladin community for as long as I can remember. Bad Blizzard if it happens!

My favorite pally build is either the Zealot or Avenger. With the zealot you get to start on the main skills earlier than with the Avenger and the Avenger you get to blast away those resistances you hate on upper level monsters.

Hmm, talking about builds makes me want to fire up the old game and have some fun with it. Hmm indeed.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:14 AM
Enthusiast

Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Talking about all these builds by name makes me wonder why we don't have a build guide section.