11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 06-14-2009, 11:34 PM

Biogod has much to be proud of
Question PSOne, New TV?
So tomorrow is the big day. Well, technically it's today since it's 00:30 monday as I write this. I'll be having my TX-P50G10 delivered, a 50" 1080p Panasonic Viera.

I was wondering if there's anything I can do, say, alternate cabling or setting to avoid or limit as much as I can the graphical nerf that old consoles bring to hdtv's.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 PM

synrg023 has set foot on a distinguished road
Nice! Go plasma! I recommend getting a PS2 with some Component cables or a PS3 w/ HDMI cable if you're feeling adventurous (PS1 discs work on all PS3s). The PSOne can go up to S-Video cable and possibly RGB scart cable only (if your TV has an input for it) from what I've heard/read.

I do miss my large 32inch tube, but after it finally went to TV heaven I bought a flat panel lcd and enjoy it very much. Old school games don't look the same as on the tube, but look good enough to have a blast since it's all about the gameplay, right?! Never tried Plasma for gaming though. Let me know how it goes!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:04 PM

xMac73 has set foot on a distinguished road
I haven't fired up my PS1 in years... I never thought about issues with the conversion from tube to high def. I'll have to give it a try --- hate to lose my PS1 & games (I don't really play them anymore, but I always want that option --- you just never know when that itch to play Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles will strike!)

Do PS1 games work in PS2 consoles? I have the PS1 and PS2 but not the PS3. I'll have to give that a try, too.

My 360voice Blog | My Xbox Profile
Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM

redknightalex is a jewel in the community redknightalex is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to redknightalex
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMac73 View Post
Do PS1 games work in PS2 consoles? I have the PS1 and PS2 but not the PS3. I'll have to give that a try, too.
As far as I know, all PS1 games work in any PS2 console. At least all of mine work in my old version of PS2. The video quality isn't as good on the HD screens than on the old tube ones, which really bugs me and makes little sense (isn't HD suppose to be better?!), but it's easily overlooked after you've played for a while. Gameplay is what matters most!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 PM

DuroMentis has much to be proud of
All the original Playstation games will work on both PS2, and PS3, or atleast that's what I think. I have had all three systems, and currently own the PS2 and PS3. PS2 definetly runs PS1 games fine, but if you really want to run games on your HD screen, you should really look in to a PS3, PS3 has image smoothing so the pixels aren't as bad as they are usually. Metal Gear Solid for PS1 runs great on a PS3 and somehow actually looks better even at 1080p on my 32". You can actually buy some of the classics for PS1 (like Final Fantasy VII for example) on the Playstation store on PS3, there isn't too many options but I have the feeling that once the PSP-Go comes out that'll change.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 AM

SpiffyChicken14 has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SpiffyChicken14
Just some clarification...

All PS1 games play on PS2 system indefinitely. PS1/PS2 games play on PS3 system with some degrees of variation:

1. There are multiples SKUs for PS3 and some have different backwards compatibility.

2. I own a launch model PS3 (60GB, 4 USB ports, etc) that I believe uses hardware conversion to play the games (so it's almost like having a PS1/PS2 in the PS3), referred to as the Emotion Engine. This is supposed to support about 95% backwards compatibility.

3. Things get tricky around here as there are just so many models. The discontinues 20GB still used the Emotion Engine. The 80GB used a combination of hardware (for PS1 games) and software (for PS2 games). The 40GB ONLY used hardware that would only work with PS1 games.

4. A revised 80GB and later 160GB only used hardware conversion that would only allow PS1 games to be played. A lot of the restructuring came in an effort to lower production costs, and therefore price points.

5. Sony has an official site here where you can select your system and check if a specified game will play on it.
Last edited by SpiffyChicken14 : 06-16-2009 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Found more specific information and Sony Official Site
Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Enthusiast

BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueEyesWhiteGirl
Monster Rancher works just fine on a PS3, but that's the only PS1 game I've tried to use in one.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:33 PM

Biogod has much to be proud of
Question
Check this out. This guy connects an Atari 2600 to his hdtv through a vhs player. Could this work for other old consoles like the psone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38os4_ama08