11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast

Hexblood is a jewel in the community Hexblood is a jewel in the community
R.I.P. Chrono Trigger
Yep you heard it right, Square exec. has been quotes saying if fans want more games in the series they need to spend more money on the franchise. . . WTF!!!

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=84952

What a load of crap. They are just trying to deal with the backlash of shutting down a fan made ROM MOD and all the negative mail they are getting over it I am sure.

For thos that do not know do a Youtube search for user CEMemorial. They were making a MOD for the ROM of CT that created a whole new game that told a story that bridged the gap between CT and CC. When they were 98% complete and getting ready to release the MOD they got a Cease and Desist order from Square's legal department.

The Modder got in touch with Square and resolved and simply asked that Square release an Official statment on the issue. After about a week they fromally reniged on the agreement to release a statment.

I say if they are not going to do anything with it then they need to sell off the licencing rights.

I mean, how can we spend more money on it if all they do is keep rereleasing the first title. I already own 2 copies of the game, why would I buy a 3rd that would also make me buy a handheld I have little interest in.

Sorry, guess I got onto a bit of a rant. Going to have to do some more searching on the issue and see if I can find more quotings and such.

Square is going to be getting even more hate mail over this LOL. If ya want to read up more on this head over to http://www.chronocompendium.com/ and search the news files. There are also many threads on the GameFAQs CT forum about it.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

16 views, no replies

I just finished writing a letter to SE on this issue.

It is truly sad the neglect this series has suffered. I hope that if they do not continue the series internally they will allow the series to be continued by someone else.

This is one of my favorite franchises and to have it crapped on by an SE VP is a slap in the face for me.

Mr. Shinji Hashimoto denounces the series based off of the third re-release of a game over a decade old in these economic times is a sad day for a company I once considered one of the greatest.

I personally already own 2 official releases of the original title plus a ROM.

The fans want a new title yet they want to base interest off a re-release of a decade + old title??? wtf.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
sorry man, was one of those views.. I do agree this is pretty crappy.. i mean Developers should encourage user content not stop it.. hell if it's any good they should just hire the guy and release the new game on one of the many download networks.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
I agree with what your saying, they should do something with the title or get rid of it (Much like EA and the C&C franchise, who did do something with it). If there is a fan-base for anything, it will create a following who will be more than a little upset when its dropped. But to throw out a "cease and desist" on a franchise you've lost interest in developing yourself is just.... childish.

I understand your frustration.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast

AlazarRamir is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to AlazarRamir
Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight as this is the first time I am hearing of this.

1) Independent Developer was making a Mod of the original CT that ties in the two stories (CT and CC)
2) Square stopped it just before it was created and now won't allow it to finish?

What the hell?!

If anything why didn't they partner up with the guy and make it into a proper game?!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast

The thing is they were working on it for 5 years and spoke of it on the website for much of that time. Then when 98% complete and getting ready to release it they were served the Cease and Desist order.

On top of that, 3 weeks later at E3 a VP states that basically that they do not have any interest in continuing the series because the DS version of CT did not sell enough and the fans need to spend more money on the game if they want to see more titles.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexblood View Post
The thing is they were working on it for 5 years and spoke of it on the website for much of that time. Then when 98% complete and getting ready to release it they were served the Cease and Desist order.

On top of that, 3 weeks later at E3 a VP states that basically that they do not have any interest in continuing the series because the DS version of CT did not sell enough and the fans need to spend more money on the game if they want to see more titles.

of course that logic makes plenty of sense release the same game for the 5th time, if people want a sequal truly, they will buy the same game 5 times!!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM

StondMoose is community member of note
I bought Chrono Trigger.

i want Chrono Cross to be a DS game now. :-)

Old 06-13-2009, 01:53 AM

Oola is a cornerstone of the community Oola is a cornerstone of the community Oola is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Oola
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKain View Post
of course that logic makes plenty of sense release the same game for the 5th time, if people want a sequal truly, they will buy the same game 5 times!!
Only if I see it at Big Lots and I have 5 relatives who still don't have it by Christmas.

Maybe they should try spending some money on adversising if they want to sell more copies.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
What they don't seem to realize is that those worlds just banished their game to the torrent world. Nobody will even bother to look for it in stores once word gets out that the company has no interest in it anymore.

Instead of getting a cease and desist order, they really should have offered those people a chance to publish their work as a sequel. The company makes money off of fan work, the fans get paid, and everybody is happy. Their lawyers could have made it work, too.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.