11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 05-14-2009, 11:41 AM

grimfusion has set foot on a distinguished road
Beating a Dead Horse: Mainstream Retro Classics
Mario, Sonic, and Zelda. Although great game series, I can't help but feel mainstream classics get far too much attention around here. While classic retro games deserve attention, I'm honestly surprised there isn't a lot of discussion about more obscure game titles like Shadowgate, Contra, Shinobi, VectorMan, and the thousands of other rare gems.

I can't help but lose all respect for people who incessantly talk about games like Super Mario Bros. and Final Fantasy 7. It's as if those games are the only thing posters know around here. Honestly, if that's true, then why post in a retro gaming forum at all?

As an example, I'm a computer geek. I know absolutely nothing about cars or trucks. Hell, I almost lost my car because I didn't know how to change the oil. That said, if I were to join a truck and car enthusiast forum and post something like "I think Ford trucks are bad ass... because they're classic! My Dad had one and it was awesome", I'd get flamed right off the site.

Why? While I may think Ford trucks are awesome (I don't have any opinion of them, actually), I didn't provide reason, and I made it incredibly obvious that I don't know much about Ford trucks to begin with. The very same should apply in this forum in my opinion.

Just because a mainstream gamer references a title more than 10 years old doesn't mean they're retro gamers. In most cases, it means they play brand new titles and every now-and-then they get a little nostalgic. Retro gamers play retro games often. Perhaps not on a daily basis, but often enough that they have good reason to boast about games like Crystalis or Secret of Evermore.

Nostalgia gamers usually don't play retro games. Instead, they insist said game title was EXCELLENT simply because they remember playing it as a kid. They could have had awful taste as a child, playing games like Quest 64, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, and Micky Mousecapades, but just because they remember playing them, they're obviously great games. Nostalgia gamers don't bother to revisit the classic games they played as a child. If they did, they'd realize how mainstream it is to mention Super Mario Bros. 1 as being the greatest game ever made.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 AM

amedeus8 is a jewel in the community amedeus8 is a jewel in the community
I'll admit this is my first time in this specific forum, and when I saw the title, I thought, "Oh cool, I'll see some neat old-" and then I saw that the most recent post was in a thread titled "Mortal Kombat" and though, "Aw. Frick." So I feel where you're comin' from, man.

Though I don't really think Shinobi and especially Contra are very obscure :\
Old 06-12-2009, 06:11 AM

xMac73 has set foot on a distinguished road
To each his own.

If you like obscure retro games and want to talked about them here, have at it. There might be plenty of other people who share the same views but just won't post (lots of lurkers around here).

But, understand that what's retro and obscure to you might not be to someone else. Consider other people's ages, experiences, parts of the world they grew up/live in, and income/wealth levels.

I've been playing video games since the late '70s. Lots of experience, obviously, but I doubt other people want to here me talk about 'Dungeons of Dagorath' on the Tandy or how I sat in my schools first computer room in 1983 and played 'Snake' for hours and hours.

To answer your question, though, I think most people talk 'mainstream' retro because they're more likely to find others with similar experiences for which to discuss.

You wanna talk obscure --- go for it!

My 360voice Blog | My Xbox Profile
Old 06-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
well i had opened a thread about the greatest game ever made (another world) but that got 0 interest
Old 06-13-2009, 04:38 AM

Dude, I would love to hear about how you played Snake so much. Then you can hear about how much my friends and I played Anaconda on TimeSplitters 2 all the time. It'll be great!

So great.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
I know the guy who wrote Snake when he was supposed to be designing a radar for the military.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:49 AM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
The thing is, when dealing with the retro classics, there are so many games that fall into this category that there will be relatively few that are not the mainstream ones and enough people know to make a good thread. Even the ones you mentioned there I kinda felt were more on the main stream end, especially Contra.

This a a fairly well shortened list but,

My favorite NES games that fit this are Milon's secret castle, Solstice and (though this might border on mainstream) Marble Madness.

For atari, River Raid, Space Chase, 27 Telegames and Kangaroo.

For N64 I loved Blast Corps, Deadly Arts and Operation Winback

I love all of these games and have alot more that would make my retro favorites, but I don't think any of them would garner enough interest to make a thread for them.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:49 PM

As far as NES goes, I liked The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy (which might be mainstream outside of the states, not sure) and Little Nemo: The Dream Master. Though enough people have certainly heard about or played Little Nemo, I know it's not what I'd consider mainstream.

My friend absolutely loves Gemfire for the Super NES, and I know I hadn't heard about THAT until he brought it up only a year or two ago.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:25 AM

Debaser has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMac73 View Post
To each his own.

If you like obscure retro games and want to talked about them here, have at it. There might be plenty of other people who share the same views but just won't post (lots of lurkers around here).

But, understand that what's retro and obscure to you might not be to someone else. Consider other people's ages, experiences, parts of the world they grew up/live in, and income/wealth levels.

I've been playing video games since the late '70s. Lots of experience, obviously, but I doubt other people want to here me talk about 'Dungeons of Dagorath' on the Tandy or how I sat in my schools first computer room in 1983 and played 'Snake' for hours and hours.

To answer your question, though, I think most people talk 'mainstream' retro because they're more likely to find others with similar experiences for which to discuss.

You wanna talk obscure --- go for it!

Dude, Dungeons of Dagorath was awesome! I loved that game