11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 08-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

jimothyjim is community member of note
I can't physically place this game (wown wown :/) but even I'm interested to see how it does when it comes out. I thought it looked fairly interesting at E3, but with that amount of players it seems likely theres always gonna be at least one lamewad in a game that just runs around trying to ruin it for everyone.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
Oh my it seems hardly anyone here has played any of the SOCOM games or knows the history of Zipper Interactive, the developers of MAG and SOCOM.

SOCOM after S1, has always had the worst servers of any game and has always been plagued by lag, bad hit detection, etc. I think Sony gives them garage sale servers on purpose.

I have no hope for this game. The older SOCOMs used to be 8v8 and eventually 16v16 in the third title, and they lagged like a bitch. For Zipper to pull off a 256, 128 v 128 player game it would have to be nothing short of a miracle! Even the latest SOCOM on the PS3 has had tremendous lag problems among other things that deem it almost unplayable to a large portion of people.

256 players would mean larger maps and its been known that Zipper is creatively bankrupt when it comes to large maps after the debacles that were Socom 3 & Combined Assault. Most large maps were bare, almost deserted of obstacles/cover, buildings, foliage, etc. In a map such as "Killing Fields" ,which was literally a desert, it took you over 4 minutes of running around just to find someone and most of the time you found someone you would get killed because you would get sniped. And the large versions of maps like Killing Fields weren't even built tactically which is what the SOCOM series is known for. You just ran around like a chicken with its head cut off until you got sniped or you sat in one spot for hours looking through your scope for the chicken. Most people would agree that running around a bare desert for 4 minutes only to get sniped is not fun either.

Not to mention the SOCOM titles continually ran downhill after the 2nd title because they changed the formula that made the original SOCOMs fantastic and this game looks like a continuation of that new formula, but with a different name.

Last edited by Bonemane : 08-17-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast

DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community
I haven't played any SOCOM game. They never really caught my interest. So it's good to know a little about Zippers past. That could hinder the game if the servers are just as bad.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthOdium View Post
I haven't played any SOCOM game. They never really caught my interest. So it's good to know a little about Zippers past. That could hinder the game if the servers are just as bad.
There's been talk that Zipper is putting a million dollars into a server, but even that doesn't get my hopes up. They're trying to branch out into MMO territory and most big MMOs coming out nowadays have massive budgets of 50-100+ million dollars. Blowing a million on a server seems like nothing, I'm sure games like WoW, Aion, any Star Wars MMOrpg put atleast 6 million into their servers.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 AM

Tonysmallz has much to be proud of
dam really that much.. all i hear about is game companys closing there doors and zipper got a mil to put on just hardware lol crazy
Old 09-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonysmallz View Post
dam really that much.. all i hear about is game companys closing there doors and zipper got a mil to put on just hardware lol crazy
Its about time though. SOCOM was a flagship title with Zipper running it and Sony has been treating them like crap over the years and now seems like they gave up on SOCOM. I guess the million was Sony trying to apologize for the crappy servers in the past.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
Beta for Qore subscribers is coming up this month, so I'll find out if this game is just another SOCOM.

The people who are in the beta seem to like it, but there are some bugs that need to be addressed before release.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post
Beta for Qore subscribers is coming up this month, so I'll find out if this game is just another SOCOM.

The people who are in the beta seem to like it, but there are some bugs that need to be addressed before release.
I'm not surprised there are big bugs in the game. There's problably big glitches too that noone will spot until AFTER release like all of Zipper's games. I'm assuming the closed beta is most likely a couple hundred or a couple thousand people. Definitely not enough to test out the servers for a game like this, especially with Zipper's track record. They should've just done one huge advertised open beta.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:06 AM

ST7MEGASEAL88 has much to be proud of
My clan has been anticipating the arrival of MAG. i have heard there will not be a demo for it...could be bad source? lol anyway, we have 160 members in SEALTEAM7 from BFBC. ps3 of course...ready to fill a whole team on MAG! find me on PS3 ST7_MEGA_SEAL_88
Old 09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast

DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community
No Demo but if you Pre-order than as of October 2 Gamestop and other game stores should have a Beta key for you.