11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 05-02-2009, 04:46 PM

Zodanga has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Zodanga Send a message via AIM to Zodanga Send a message via MSN to Zodanga Send a message via Yahoo to Zodanga
Help with Internet Connection Issue
Hello all,

Been having this issue for 2 months and no amount of surfing net, fiddling with settings or listening to Dell has helped. I imagine a O/S reinstall would work but I don't want to go to that on a 6 mo. old computer.

Computer: Dell XPS 420

O/S: Viscrapta

Problem: Past 2 months randomly from 30 min to 3 hours while happily surfing away I suddenly lose ability to surf net from any browser - however I can continue to ping, and if I had IM and/or games they will continue to work. If I close them though I can't restart them.

Details: Happens at same time to all 3 of my browsers (Chrome, Firefox and IE) - surfing away then next click I get a variation of "page cannot be displayed". I have repaired the network connections, released and renewed IP and DNS, stopped all running processes, disabled my firewall and a/v - regardless problem remains. Logging out and back in doesn't fix it. Only repair is to restart computer. My router/modem continue to work and other computers on my network don't have problem so I would say issue is with my O/S, not the router.

Very annoying. Argh!!!

Any ideas?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:19 PM

LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community
Hey Zodanga,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your network card drivers? Could be that something got ganked along the way.

Maybe that'll help ^_^
Old 05-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Don't know too much about stuff outside the box, but this sounds to me more like a modem/cable issue. I'd say what you might want to try is shutting down both the router and the modem, unplugging the modem's power, unplugging the cable line to the modem, waiting at least 30 seconds, and then plugging things back in and restarting.

Sometimes modems go a little crazy in the head. They can be new, they can be old, but just like cell phones, sometimes they need to be shut down completely and get a 'hey check all yer stuffs' call in order to work correctly even though they 'appear' to be working normally.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
One problem I had back when I had a laptop running Vista (Microsoft's idea of a cruel joke) and was unable to browse through any browser I had was with the a/v program I had installed. Only way I could get rid of it was to completely uninstall the a/v program. After that everything worked fine. Had to switch to a different a/v, though.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:40 AM
Enthusiast

Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community
Send a message via MSN to Doctorzongo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorzongo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Vista (Microsoft's idea of a cruel joke)
Microsoft is Microsoft's idea of a cruel joke.

On topic, I have this problem as well. It's probably not a driver, as I use GNU/Linux and OS X. My cable box just got replaced, and I unplug and replug the power cable of it as rabb1t suggested.

I'm not an expert, and I couldn't really look at it well without having your computer right in front of me. My guess, however, is that it might be an issue with (A) your ISP, or (B) your modem/cable box.
The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:45 AM

LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorzongo View Post
My guess, however, is that it might be an issue with (A) your ISP, or (B) your modem/cable box.
No, it has to do with his one computer. He says he can access everything fine on other machines.... So it's not his Router/Modem/ISP... It has to do with the one machine...
Old 05-03-2009, 04:17 PM

SINZAR is community member of note
It sounds like a stack issue. The stack is a term given to the layering of the network operations. If you lose browser functionality but are able to keep pinging it indicates that core functionality is retained, level 1-3 and that the issue likely resides in level 4, TCP functionality.

Is this a wireless or wired network adapter causing the problems? If wireless, just make sure that the antennae isn't too close to metal or a wall which would cause interference with it.

I would first try LordTraith's solution. Download the network driver from Dell's Website, uninstall the network device, restart, re-install driver and see how it goes.

If the problem still persists, try another network adapter if you can. That would at least isolate the problem to either being the OS or the adapter.

Edit: You should probably run a malware scan as well as uninstalling all programs that you don't actually use. A badly programmed app running in the background could potentially be the problem.
Last edited by SINZAR : 05-03-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:12 PM

Zodanga has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Zodanga Send a message via AIM to Zodanga Send a message via MSN to Zodanga Send a message via Yahoo to Zodanga
Hey all, sorry took so long to get back to you but life you know. :-( Thank you all for the good suggestions. I tried most of your ideas previously or per your suggestions.

LordTraith - good idea, deleted my nic drivers, rebooted, reinstalled and checked for updates (none) - no luck.

mykalgaidin - another good idea. I had tried running with a/v turned off (no running in background) to no avail. Your idea reminds me that off is not same as deleted so I deleted the A/V (AVG Free which I have used for years). I didn't have a problem after doing this but only gave it a 3 hr test as don't feel good surfing with protection. Since my prob. is random that may or may not have been the issue. I downloaded newest AVG and installed it but still have the prob. I guess I shall delete it again and just surf unprotected for a full weekend to see if that does indeed cure me. If so I get a new AVG. :-(

Rabb1T and Doc - not my router/modem or ISP. Other computers continue to work. I have also rebooted router and swapped network port cable plugged into while in midst of problem and that didn't fix it. Thanks for suggestion though.

Sinzar - Ahhh..you were talking a big game there and something fresh I hadn't heard. Was hoping you have nice simple solution to fix the stacks but guess that would be too easy. :-( I have a wireless modem but only use it on troublesome computer with a wire plugged in - so it's not the antenna. Also not network driver as I have remove/reinstalled it. So my next hope is a new network card - which I think I have laying around. I will try that next. Also per your last suggestion - my computer is, and has been since purchase - before network hookup, protected with anti-virus, spyware, firwall and rootkit detection and scanned fully each week. I don't have any CTD's (computer transmitted diseases). ;-) Also don't think it's an app in background as I have used Msconfig to shut off every thing non-essential.

Thanks all.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
(Didn't re-read to check) Have you tried a different ethernet cable? Could be the cable itself is going bad. I've had that happen before.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
There's a possibility that your IP may be watching your computer for illegal activity. Have you been using file-sharing applications or visiting questionable websites from that particular computer? Some of the methods used by some IP's to monitor specific computers will occasionally hang up the browser, though they are more likely to just cut the bandwidth in half.

Here's something you can try. Copy this script into notepad:
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns
Save it, then rename the extension to .cmd and put it on your quick-launch bar. Next time your connection hangs up, click the icon and see if it clears up.

If that doesn't work, we can rule out IP scrutiny and about a dozen other possibilities.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.