11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 06-19-2009, 12:18 PM

LeftyRedbeard has set foot on a distinguished road
Meeting the Shambler for the first time in Quake.... I ran away and hid.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast

AlazarRamir is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to AlazarRamir
I almost had the same effect with the Parasite (think that was what it was called) in Q2. I swear I unloaded EVERY clip of my shotgun to make sure it was dead.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:24 PM

MajinK has much to be proud of
This scary moment was a while ago. I was playing resident evil (don't remember which one) and I had all the lights off and the speakers up. I head to the back of the train and all of a sudden a zombie dog comes through the window and attacks me. My heart jumped and I just screamed and emptied my clip. Needless to say I lost a few years off of my life because of this moment.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Xial has much to be proud of
Laughbombs free, ladies and gentlemen.

Scariest thing for me (since I don't find most zombie games to be frightening) is, heh, Mirror's Edge.
I have a strong, nearly overpowering fear of heights, elevators, and falling to my death, and the first-person view does not help break the trance I get into when playing. As a result, when I started playing and realized that I really was going to have to jump building to building, and generally be up high, I felt my heart go flitter-flop.
Knowing I had to make some long jumps really makes the game hard for me to play *and* suspend my sense of perception so that I don't have a heart attack.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:46 PM

ToddBailey is community member of note
I'm not super into the survival horror genre to begin with, but I think every gamer at some point has picked up something along the lines of the Silent Hill or Resident Evil franchises.

Silent Hill's over all mood and introduction of depravity that exists within its inhabitants is what is unsettling to me. Of course there is the "pop-up" moments where a baddy is trying to get to your tender parts that'll get'cha, but the world setting is what set me off.

Another title I'm seeing a lot of mention of here is Dead Space. Which, as a Sci-Fi fan I am drawn to. The mood of that game is excellent. Space is such an abstract environment that you can introduce nearly any creature with out much limit to sticking to "reality". I think the sounds in Dead Space were some of the best; moments in a vacuum where you can hear only your breathing were pretty intense.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinK View Post
This scary moment was a while ago. I was playing resident evil (don't remember which one) and I had all the lights off and the speakers up. I head to the back of the train and all of a sudden a zombie dog comes through the window and attacks me. My heart jumped and I just screamed and emptied my clip. Needless to say I lost a few years off of my life because of this moment.

I remember that scene perfectly..

my friend was playing and I ended up with a controllor in my eye

actually no.. the train, your referrring to Resident Evil 0, but there was a similar scene in 1 with a long hallway in the mansion
Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 PM

paperfan9000 is community member of note
Unless my small experience with Left 4 Dead counts, I've never played a horror game in my entire life; therefore, I don't experience much in terms of "scary" gaming moments.

That said, my aforementioned attempt at L4D had me saying things along the line of "whoa" and "holy crap" a lot. Considering that they were mostly due to the presence of a Tank, however, I'm pretty sure I had good reason.

Personally, I use video games as something of a stress reducer. If I feel like ripping something's head off, I will most likely play a game in which I can do so without the murder/animal cruelty charges. As such, I tend to avoid horror games, because they would likely just compound upon my stress level.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:52 AM

Masteratarms93 has much to be proud of
Before I had an Xbox 360 back in the Summer of 2007 I hung out at my neighbors ALL the time and he and a friend had Xboxs set up in different rooms. He was in the well lit large living room playing Halo and me and his buddy were in his dark, small, cluttered, shadowy roomplaying F.E.A.R. We played through the WHOLE game from like 8ish to 2am. Near the end I was sleepy but still wired up on caffeine and that game gets REALLY scary in the middle and end. At the point where you are going down a ladder to walk up to it and your character spins around to go down and BOO the creepy girl is standing right at the top of the ladder, so naturally you slide down and turn left to run of and BOO AGAIN, you walk right through a ghost dude who poofs into a bunch of flies and disappears. We were like HOLING F*CKIN SH*T!!!!

That was some scary stuff.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:50 PM

Retsamypoc is community member of note
I should have really read the patch notes for bloodlines, since i just redid the hotel part and they added a new event on the left corridor , really scared the hell out of me .
Last edited by Retsamypoc : 06-23-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-04-2009, 05:54 PM

MrODoyle is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to MrODoyle
I just thought of this and, I'm sorry if somebody already posted it (I didn't have time to go through all the posts) but, in F.E.A.R., when you turn around to descend that first ladder, and that Samara Morgan-looking bitch is standing there. I wept. Then I shut the game off. Haven't played it since.

I know someone already mentioned Eternal Darkness. Seconded. Pretty much every moment in that game is pants-shitting scary.

Most of the entire Hell level in The Darkness is pretty scary.

And there are quite a few points in God of War (1 and 2) that are pretty frightening, if only from the sheer size of things.