11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 PM

mace990 has set foot on a distinguished road
MYST! Won't believe me? Yah Ok I was around 10 years old my dad playin that really great puzzle game where absolutley NOTHING happens (part 2 or 3 don't remember it clearly) and out of nonthing this bad guy is on the screen...

Man cO I was scared to hell! :S
But thats about 6 years away from the now...
Scariest moment...

playin' Resistance on that really big screen on the PS3 @ a friends in coop and don't really remember chapter & story but it was dark and we got sound on and the situation was quiet in the game at the moment and suddenly: BANG! The front door of the house - parents came back >,< Man we laughed about that for about 3 months but in this second just 'What the...?' ^,^

Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 PM

jimpower has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Bioshock: The doctor who appears behind you out of nowhere in the dental area. You turn around after picking up an item and *WHAM* he's just standing there, RIGHT behind you breathing heavily and holding a wrench above your head. I just about sh*t my pants lol.

FEAR 2: Playing the demo I jumped out of my seat the first time Alma grabs you in the movie theatre.
I think you and I are talking about the same doctor.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:03 PM

jimpower has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by royrules22 View Post
Ooh quite a bunch but by far Eternal Darkness. The entire damn game!
I can't believe I forgot to mention Eternal Darkness. So here it is, my mention.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Enthusiast

Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community
Oh oh, Another moment from Bioshock is where you go down into this basement area where there is one light trained on a chair where sits a porcelain covered woman, apparently statued. On the other side of the room from where you enter is an upgrade machine, to lure you past the seated woman. After sitting there and staring at the seated woman waiting for her to leap up and grab me, I ran over to the upgrade machine, used it, and once you turn around she's posed in a ballerina's pirouette directly in front of you, no longer seated. After a brief few "OH SHIT" seconds, she un-freezes and attacks.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Enthusiast

Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community
Send a message via MSN to Doctorzongo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorzongo
So ... don't blink while playing BioShock?
The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 AM
Enthusiast

absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to absolutlush
Scariest game moment would be most all of AvP2 and all of They Hunger... especially when I realized PC Gamer installed ad software on my pc.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I don't go in for "gotcha" moments (Dead Space, Doom3, pretty much every horror game out there) and I don't find them scary. One game did freak me out quite a bit, and that was Fatal Frame. I only played the demo on the PS2, but it was still enough to get my heart racing. Not the photography combat sections (which kind of pulled my out of the experience and reminded me I was playing a game) but the general feel of the house and the general lack of reliable lighting made for a horrific time.

I think the "murder charging at you with an axe" type of horror isn't all that frightening. Blood-pumping, yes but not scary. What is really scary is when you don't really know everything that's going on, and it's the potential for something terrifying that ratchets up the tension and thus the terror. There might be something in the darkened corner your flashlight can barely penetrate, you can't be sure. Do you go over there and risk getting attacked? Do you ignore it and risk getting attacked? It is those questions that you're trying to answer while adrenaline is pounding through your veins and sweat is causing your grip on your only weapon to become tenuous.

That, to me, is far scarier that a zombie bursting through a glass window.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:56 AM

dagamdagee is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to dagamdagee Send a message via MSN to dagamdagee
@Mykalgaiden - I have to agree about "gotcha" games. If you haven't played it, you should definitely check out Silent Hill 2. To be quite honest, I haven't gotten very far in that game myself. What I have played of it is definitely well paced. A lot of the beginning of the game is walking around and not knowing where to go. Once inside the apartment complex, things start to get downright creepy.

There's one particular room in that apartment that's especially creepy. As you start advancing through the apartment, this one room begins to have some very strange things happen to it. First, you hear small sounds of scraping/clanking of metal. It's very subtle, but it starts to make you wonder. As you go further, you'll hear a scream in the room (a baby's, I think) and pyramid head is standing right outside and the only thing separating you are some measly bars.

Inside the room is a body that was not there before, mangled and placed in front of a glowing TV that's not plugged in. Even worse is that the sound in the room has gotten more intense. It's almost rhythmic, but the metal on metal sound is now unbearable to listen to.

That's a part that scared the bajeezuz out of me.

Just like the Ghosts.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
There is definitely a "gotcha" element to Dead Space but I think the complete experience to me was quite nerve racking as a whole. Mykal described it in one of his game comments as a game's "Place". EA nailed it as far as Dead Space is concerned. From the big concept to the the details of conveying weight and pressure in space... everything combined for me in such a way that I could never play that game for more than one hour because my heart and nerves could not take it lol.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
The visions in Mass Effect kinda freaked me out, the hotel in level in Bloodlines (gah i have to cheat to get the amulet i can't handle it for some odd reason) and in bioshock with all the random appearences of the evil things *shudder* and the bloody cortana level in halo 3 and that first timei saw the vision freaked me out