11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 04-22-2009, 03:39 AM
Enthusiast

absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to absolutlush
L4D Survivor Mode
Just finished a session of Survivor mode and I am addicted.

To the idea, the insane chaos but NOT addicted to the issues finding a server and the extreme lag. The lag caused us to spend more time in setup than actually fighting the waves of undead.

The new map was great and challenging. After a few tries we got the bronze medal award which was great. But then lag issues got to be insane. As opposed to traditional coop mode running from the tank is nearly impossible. One key thing we learned was destroying the specials fast and often. If we ignored them we did end up with two hunters, a smoker and, a tank while fighting off another wave. we lasted just over a minute with that strategy.

So we got smart and set up stagign areas to lure tanks to that had 2 or three propane tanks. after that our problem was effectively healing between waves.

I like this but the problems with lags and lack of dedicated servers was destroying the fun.

Let's hear everyone elses opinions from today's sessions!!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 AM

SassySaint88 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to SassySaint88 Send a message via Yahoo to SassySaint88
I Loved it. The best time I got was 5 mins. I really didn't try the new but not new verses maps. Over all it was great especially since I didn't have to pay 4 it.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast

absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community
I agree. The free part was great. I'm trying to get the rest of my group to branch into the hospital map. If what I read was correct I like the idea of having to wait for the horde to bust through walls to allow you to advance further in the level.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM

Tyrant-on-Virus has much to be proud of
Where are you guys getting this update from, i have LFD and havn't even heard of these new maps and stuff for free?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Are you playing PC or 360? I can only speak to how to get the update for PC. For us PCers just start Steam, Start L4D, wait for updates. Restart L4D, make sure there are no additional updates, play game.

I would assume for the 360 it'll automatically update it or maybe it's there is a specific section for the DLC that it is located in.

News Release: http://store.steampowered.com/news/?...tes&appids=500

Info from Dev Team: http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=2417
Last edited by absolutlush : 04-22-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added urls
Old 04-23-2009, 03:27 AM

SassySaint88 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to SassySaint88 Send a message via Yahoo to SassySaint88
360 is in the game market place under game add ons. you have to look 4 it because theirs alot of guitar hero stuff posted as well.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:04 AM

snafu7 is community member of note
I was able to play a couple rounds of Survival yesterday, and it was a blast. I was never alive very long, but it was still fun. The last round I played, I managed to last for just over 4 minutes on Lighthouse.

Can't wait to play some more
Old 04-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks sassy for the 360 help.

yeah it is addicting. I got a bronze yesterday on no mercy. you would think having the minigun would make it easier but nooo of course the tank comes from behind you 2/3 of the time. BAH!~
Old 05-17-2009, 03:01 AM

countstex has much to be proud of
I've yet to give this mode a go, how does it compare, if at all, to Horde mode on Gears2?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

I would assume similar. They use an alogrithm to spawn new special units for L4D. First tank is about 1:20 in. Then it's every 40 seconds then when you hit the bronze level it's like every 30 seconds. I've been down to just non-stop tank music. The horde itself is easy to deal with. it's when you get smoked or pounced are the only times you start panicking and empty your clip too early.