11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Music Games

Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
GI Joe Rock Band FTW! lol

I would be inclined to believe Lego RB is going to be something totally different if that's what they were actually saying about it, but statements like this have "generic Rock Band with Lego people" spelled out in boldface type imo.

"LEGO Rock Band combines the multiplayer music experience of Rock Band® with the fun, customization and humor of the LEGO videogame franchise..."

So how is it Activision can crank out the Metallica, Van Halen, Aerosmith etc... games and RB gets The Beatles and... Lego? Why isn't Harmonix out hunting down more chart topping IPs? Look at this slide...

http://www.shacknews.com/screenshots..._id=#img133031

Notice anything? RB has 3 games, GH has more than I can count at a quick glance. WTF Harmonix, you want to survive you need to:

1. Make your instruments work with GH.
2. Release real games your fanbase wants, not watered down kiddie blends.

I want Harmonix to succeed, I like my RB instruments, I generally like the current library of music, I don't want to go have to go GH just to enjoy a greater library of fun... but they are not helping the situation imo.
This is an interesting point of view....because I'd argue that the Beatles are significantly more attractive and a chart topping IP. Much more so than Metallica or Aerosmith and even Van Halen.

If you check out the deck that that slide is sourced from, you will get some insight into Harmonix's strategy. Basically what Dan describes in the deck is that Activision is releasing 10 music games in a year - How does Harmonix compete with that and make money, without fatiguing the genre and harming their IP and Brand? Harmonix's strategy of competing is creating a few games that still compete, but compete in different segments of the market and/or bring something new to the genre. Activision is more of the opposite..which means cranking out as many games as possible and selling as many games as you can while the market is still interested in music games.

You see Harmonix trying to approach things in a new way when you see the rumors about Harmonies in Beatles Rock Band. Assuming that rumor is true, that's an example of them approaching problems in a different way and trying to provide new and exciting experiences in a music game. I think we'll see this more and more as we find out more about the Beatles game.

To your point about Music catalogue, Harmonix has a huge selection of songs. It's up to a few hundred now, a catalogue which is a lot bigger than the selection of songs available for Guitar Hero. Harmonix has adopted more of a platform approach to music games, where they create the game itself and then rapidly release more and more music for it.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:51 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXenophon View Post
What the industry really needs is a program which can interpret any music CD you put into it and use it with the game. Whoever invents that will be a billionaire.
There is a game that does this, it's called Audiosurf.

It's not exactly like Guitar Hero/Rock Band, it's more like the games that Harmonix made before they created Guitar Hero.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by QforQ View Post
This is an interesting point of view....because I'd argue that the Beatles are significantly more attractive and a chart topping IP. Much more so than Metallica or Aerosmith and even Van Halen.

If you check out the deck that that slide is sourced from, you will get some insight into Harmonix's strategy. Basically what Dan describes in the deck is that Activision is releasing 10 music games in a year - How does Harmonix compete with that and make money, without fatiguing the genre and harming their IP and Brand? Harmonix's strategy of competing is creating a few games that still compete, but compete in different segments of the market and/or bring something new to the genre. Activision is more of the opposite..which means cranking out as many games as possible and selling as many games as you can while the market is still interested in music games.

You see Harmonix trying to approach things in a new way when you see the rumors about Harmonies in Beatles Rock Band. Assuming that rumor is true, that's an example of them approaching problems in a different way and trying to provide new and exciting experiences in a music game. I think we'll see this more and more as we find out more about the Beatles game.

To your point about Music catalogue, Harmonix has a huge selection of songs. It's up to a few hundred now, a catalogue which is a lot bigger than the selection of songs available for Guitar Hero. Harmonix has adopted more of a platform approach to music games, where they create the game itself and then rapidly release more and more music for it.
Oh I think Beatles RB is gong to be... FAB! New funky Beatles style instruments, harmonies (if true), a progressive trip through a fundamental of rock and roll history etc... I totally agree with you on that. I am slowly trying to ease it to the wife that we are buying this $250 (or whatever it is) game . I just don't want RB to die or worse, just be thrown scraps to add to the library while GH is out there eating up most of the music. And the whole Lego thing has me worried.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:08 AM
GDNA Community Manager

I wouldn't worry about the Lego game...I think it's Harmonix trying to hit the younger demo, doing something a little bit different and fun, and make some money.

I think next year will be pretty interesting in terms of what games Harmonix makes...how will they follow up the Beatles game? They're working on something over there...just what is it? :P
Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast

See I told you... Star 'frickin' Wars Rock Band! LOL

Old 04-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
You mean we get to play that circular keyboard that the blue guy with the trunk plays?

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast

bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community
I don't see why this couldn't have been a lego DLC pack. The only real changes will be characters and instruments

Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Maybe it will be part of one later. They want to make money in as many different ways as possible.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast

I would fare to guess there's going to be some kind of final goal, like you need to collect blocks by completing songs and sets and build a Lego bank for all your rock star money, lol, or something like that. Whatever the case I could care less for Lego RB. To me it's the Mini-Pops of RB. :\
Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Savant

Think it will be hard to earn a block? It takes a lot of legos to build a bank.