11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 04-15-2009, 03:32 AM

blizterpwned has much to be proud of
Please read this!
Recently I found this blog, and I realized that it was true about gaming. Please read it and tell me if you think its true also.

http://littlewarkid.blogspot.com/

http://littlewarkid.blogspot.com/
Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I believe that yes game is getting more violent but the teaching kids about how to kill or whatever he is getting at in this blog post. Yes games are violent and yes they dipect gruesome ways to kill people but look at the FEAR footage, the blood was so cartoony as it is (looks like spray paint to me) and the "gallons of blood" its hardly gallons at all, the msot blood i saw was in the opening bits which just looked like the blood out of Fallout 3 that has been placed there (inside vaults near skeletiosn etc etc). Also i hardly see how the relevance of how guns that cost lots and lots of money influences the kids. So what if they have a RPG in a game? They have done that before, look at Fallout 3, thats violent (dismemeberment LOTS of blood) yet FEAR is copping a lot of flak for this? Hardly seems fair. I will agree though a M rating is to litle and needs to be upgraded to a MA 15+ rating and then when you see little kids playing you can blame the parents. The rating are there to protect younger kids and inform others how suitable the game is for the person. What message is it telling the kids? "violence is good"? Sorry but there is so much out there as it is, all the murders and everything done by lots of diffrent people that are detailed in how they did it (got a chainsaw and carved up his familiy and dumped them under his house for example) its not video games telling kis how brutal to be because most will not find this in my opinion to start them down a war path to kill other human biengs.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I reject completely the idea that a video game can train you to do some kind of manual task in the real world. I've fired plenty of guns, and there is much more to it than just pointing at something and pulling the trigger, then pressing a button to reload. I've also been driving for over half my life, and the driving in games, even "sims" like Gran Turismo cannot come close to teaching you to deal with the very tactile nature of driving. You might get a bit of theory, but no practical experience, and most importantly, no muscle memory. Just as muscles used often become stronger, neural pathways (say, the ones that fire during driving or fighting hand-to-hand) grow stronger with repeated use. Gaming (as it stands today) simply cannot deliver that physical experience.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
While most elements of your combat skills may be impossible to learn in a video game, the idea of training for real combat in a video game is not completely without merit. MMORPG's teach you to work as a team, first person shooters train you to spot targets and think tactically, and most video games teach you to make snap decisions with limited information. However, all together, this accounts for less than 1% of what you need to know in a real combat situation. It's an edge, but it's a very small edge.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXenophon View Post
While most elements of your combat skills may be impossible to learn in a video game, the idea of training for real combat in a video game is not completely without merit. MMORPG's teach you to work as a team, first person shooters train you to spot targets and think tactically, and most video games teach you to make snap decisions with limited information. However, all together, this accounts for less than 1% of what you need to know in a real combat situation. It's an edge, but it's a very small edge.
True, but I was referring more to the physical act, not the mental preparation.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
But that's exactly my point. We agree almost completely. All I was trying to say is that video games provide ONLY mental preparation.

The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXenophon View Post
But that's exactly my point. We agree almost completely. All I was trying to say is that video games provide ONLY mental preparation.
My apologies, then. Brain is fried from dealing with my taxes. Being an adult sucks.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:11 AM

Aver has much to be proud of
In Poland kids can buy brutal games without any problems. Yes, we have rating system but nobody care about it, so kids plays brutal games rated for 18+. And guess what? There wasn't any homicide inspired by computer games in Poland. Generally we haven't too much homicides in Poland. Probably because it's very hard to get weapon here. You need to have reason to own gun and make psychotests before you can but it. Also you have to pay big taxes if you have a gun.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aver View Post
In Poland kids can buy brutal games without any problems. Yes, we have rating system but nobody care about it, so kids plays brutal games rated for 18+. And guess what? There wasn't any homicide inspired by computer games in Poland. Generally we haven't too much homicides in Poland. Probably because it's very hard to get weapon here. You need to have reason to own gun and make psychotests before you can but it. Also you have to pay big taxes if you have a gun.
I thought Poland had great rating system? THe gun thing is pretty good but the huge taxes? a bit much isn't it?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:00 AM
Savant

I think it's foolish to think that if we eliminate guns, we eliminate crime. Crime existed long before guns. We need to identify the underlying social, economic, and psychological reasons behind crime before we can truly eradicate the criminal element.

Guns cause violence like flies cause garbage.