11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
is it 'cool' to hate on games
Nowadays if a game isnt for somebody, people rarely say "looks fun, but not something i'd play" no.. its more along the lines of "THIS SUCKS!"

and it seems tht giving a game a chance is a very out of style concept... Huxley the Dystopia promises to be an mmofps with great co-op missions and great pvp... but on gametrailers it looked just like ut3.. so... give it a chance? nope shrug it off as a 'poor mans ut3'....

a review says a game is bad? try the game out and form your own opinions? nope! IT SUCKS

a game is on a console you dislike.... admit it looks fun and wish it was on your console, or perhaps admit its time to reconsider your thoughts on that console? NOPE! the game sucks, the console sucks, and suck it everyone who likes that crappy console!!

A game attempts something new but doesnt quite hit the mark... appreciate that it tried something new and hope they get it right in the next try? NOPE it just plain sucks....

what happend to gaming and why has this attitude become so common?
discuss
Old 06-06-2009, 12:48 AM

Cybrwyzyrd is a cornerstone of the community Cybrwyzyrd is a cornerstone of the community Cybrwyzyrd is a cornerstone of the community Cybrwyzyrd is a cornerstone of the community
Some games do suck, and games that actually suck are getting more and more likely to be published. On the other hand, I agree that people seem to be more likely to say a game sucks just because they personally stink at them.

It probably had a lot to do with the way people in general just don't care what others think of them anymore. It's no different to them than speeding because the speed limit sucks, or parking in the red zone because the parking sucks, or cutting in line because the wait sucks. Their attitudes simply suck.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Enthusiast

DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community
Crap your talking the dreaded fanboy.

Right off the bat I don't understand the whole console war. I hate this console you hate that console. So I can't discuss that. I own them all and really only feel down on the Wii because it doesn't have more games that I want. Of course Atlus answered with Shiren the Wanderer so I'm ok for now.

As for games I guess it's how others view them. Example: I really wanted Huxley I told a buddy about Huxley we waited and waited for news about it. Then news came it has quests, instantly killing the game for us. I don't want a gun game where NPC tell me to collect, help, gather, protect or anything for NPC or others. I was hoping the game would be like Planetside a gathering of friends then beat down my enemy. Which is why I moved over to MAG. It sounds exactly like the game I want to play.

Will I say that Huxley sucks no, I will never play WoW not because it sucks, it WILL be awesome if I sat and played, but I want to play more games than just one.

I think gamers live for the hype. The latest and greatest thing on the planet. If you're not a part of the hype then you suck. I've played everything from Pong to Halo Wars. Bad games or games that suck are like Superman 64 a game where the developer screwed up on it so bad you have to ask yourself how did they not now.

All other flaming or "it sucks", "you suck" come from the fanboy that needs their voice heard. Why? I don't know maybe gamers think they believe they are developers too. Even when some don't know up from down.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:08 AM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthOdium View Post
Crap your talking the dreaded fanboy.

Right off the bat I don't understand the whole console war. I hate this console you hate that console. So I can't discuss that. I own them all and really only feel down on the Wii because it doesn't have more games that I want. Of course Atlus answered with Shiren the Wanderer so I'm ok for now.

As for games I guess it's how others view them. Example: I really wanted Huxley I told a buddy about Huxley we waited and waited for news about it. Then news came it has quests, instantly killing the game for us. I don't want a gun game where NPC tell me to collect, help, gather, protect or anything for NPC or others. I was hoping the game would be like Planetside a gathering of friends then beat down my enemy. Which is why I moved over to MAG. It sounds exactly like the game I want to play.

Will I say that Huxley sucks no, I will never play WoW not because it sucks, it WILL be awesome if I sat and played, but I want to play more games than just one.

I think gamers live for the hype. The latest and greatest thing on the planet. If you're not a part of the hype then you suck. I've played everything from Pong to Halo Wars. Bad games or games that suck are like Superman 64 a game where the developer screwed up on it so bad you have to ask yourself how did they not now.

All other flaming or "it sucks", "you suck" come from the fanboy that needs their voice heard. Why? I don't know maybe gamers think they believe they are developers too. Even when some don't know up from down.

oh i totally agree on that last part.. i am actually a developer (in training :P)
so i can appreciate what makes a good game... so it really grinds me when i see how everyone just judges games instantly... is this the kind of people i want to be developing for?
Old 06-06-2009, 02:28 AM
Enthusiast

DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKain View Post
oh i totally agree on that last part.. i am actually a developer (in training :P)
so i can appreciate what makes a good game... so it really grinds me when i see how everyone just judges games instantly... is this the kind of people i want to be developing for?
Well you have too. I've gone to the game conferences I've spoken with the companies I went to school to become a game developer and decided not to pursue. Instead I became a CAD Manager, IT Tech, and overall graphics guy for a Landscaping Firm.

Game Developers from what I understand have to make a choice. Do you design to be famous or design because you love games too? All will say the last part to build games they love and others will love too.

This is true but developers will buckle under the presser. Example was Cliffy B. on the Epic blogs he was flamed for the ragdoll physics in Gears 2. Flamed so bad that he created an update that killed the smoke grenade in that game. For me it sucks I liked it, and heading to the blogs to find out why I decided it was not worth fighting over. The flames that happened on that site...oh man. He could of just said well just wait for Gears 3 we will improve off your complaints. The flames would still happen but it would shut the masses up.

I apologize for ending so soon. I hear beer calling me, I will discuss more tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:41 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthOdium View Post
Well you have too. I've gone to the game conferences I've spoken with the companies I went to school to become a game developer and decided not to pursue. Instead I became a CAD Manager, IT Tech, and overall graphics guy for a Landscaping Firm.

Game Developers from what I understand have to make a choice. Do you design to be famous or design because you love games too? All will say the last part to build games they love and others will love too.

This is true but developers will buckle under the presser. Example was Cliffy B. on the Epic blogs he was flamed for the ragdoll physics in Gears 2. Flamed so bad that he created an update that killed the smoke grenade in that game. For me it sucks I liked it, and heading to the blogs to find out why I decided it was not worth fighting over. The flames that happened on that site...oh man. He could of just said well just wait for Gears 3 we will improve off your complaints. The flames would still happen but it would shut the masses up.

I apologize for ending so soon. I hear beer calling me, I will discuss more tomorrow.
I beleive the trick is to work with a small dev team not the big ones... like S2games (just to give an example) they worked on 2 games.. Savage and Savage 2.. and you can tell they made those games they way THEY wanted to make them. They have only a small portion of fans compared to the bigger game developers but because they're games are so small and self published (on the site) the development costs are tiny in comparison, and they still turn a profit doing what they love. My plan has always been to start up a freeware/shareware team just to get some experience and get used to working with my team, then go commercial. its not an easy way to do it, but it has worked for some teams.

not to mention these smaller teams attract 'nicer gamers'.. lets face it, the more 'hardcore' gamers are ungrateful S.O.Bs
Old 06-07-2009, 01:27 PM

dakoe3 has much to be proud of
This may not make sense, but I say a game ssucks so that I won't get hyped for it and become disappointed if it's good but doesn't meet expectations. For example I continually told my friends that infamous will suck even though he hyped it to thee fullest. When I bought it I was amazed because I tricked myself into thinking nothing about it.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakoe3 View Post
This may not make sense, but I say a game ssucks so that I won't get hyped for it and become disappointed if it's good but doesn't meet expectations. For example I continually told my friends that infamous will suck even though he hyped it to thee fullest. When I bought it I was amazed because I tricked myself into thinking nothing about it.

I use a similar train of thought but i refuse to use the word 'suck' because every game has redeeming qualities and i feel just outright saying that game SUCKS is a bit ignorant... (not calling you ignorant btw your thinking makes sense i suppose i just dont like your choice of word)
Old 06-07-2009, 05:38 PM

Aerolis has much to be proud of
Well I guess I'm totally unstylish. I always give games a chance. =P
But I know what you mean. It's irritating when people judge a game based on the console. I have friends that do it, actually.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

Letís see where to start.

KrazyKain,

I can agree with a smaller business having an easier time building games they like. Look at all the freeware thatís out there 1 to 5 people might have worked on any number of games. Iíve seen interesting games for the Iphone, to the PC, even XBL. The ones that make it worth while are the ones that bring something just a little unique and fun to the gaming world.

The only reason it turns political for companies is when publishing and developing are two different companies or when one wants to do something else. I remember reading a Game Informer about the Pros and Cons of the two.

As for nice and naughty gamers, I think that just depends on what type of fanboy or non-fanboy youíre dealing with, talk about something bad in a FF game and every FF fanboy attacks. Talk about the power of a 360 to a Wii or the PS3 and get ready for a word show down. Others that like discussion or have no real fanboy syndrome usually love to just play and talk about playing.

Dakoe3,

Iíve been there. I hyped Fable for myself so bad that when it wasnít what I wanted man did I trade it ASAP. Of course I went out a month later to buy it and start over with it again. I liked it much better after I stopped thinking about what would make it great or what was going to be in it.

Aerolis,

Youíre not unstylish I just donít think you like having heated debates over stuff that has no reason to be heated, kind of like trolls and why they like to get people angry.