11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA News and Announcements

Old 04-10-2009, 05:05 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
GamerDNA Site Changes coming Next Week
GamerDNA has come a long way over the past year and we’ve learned a lot about what is best for the site and best for our community. Over this period of time the website has changed quite a bit as we’ve learned more about what works and what doesn’t, where we want to take things, etc. Due to this, next week we’ve decided that we need to remove some old features (and scale back some other features) of that site in order to make the overall site better, and go full steam ahead on development over the coming months.

News: The News section of the site will be removed next week.

Over time we’ve learned that what gamerDNA does best is enable you to see what is happening around a game, by seeing what our community is doing and learning about games through the experiences of others. Since we are trying to provide something different than the many (fantastic) gaming news websites out there, we’ve decided to remove the news section of gamerDNA.

In the future we will be adding ways for you to create game activity posts and attach screenshots to the posts, as well as a way to post game related news/resources and have those show up throughout the site. For now, though, we suggest that you share links/game related news with your friends and the community through a game activity post.
While we are removing the News section from the site it will still be available through individual Group Hosting websites. This enables group members to post news for other members of their group to see.

Attitudes: The Attitudes section of your profile will also be removed next week.

Attitudes is an old feature left over from when gamerDNA was GuildCafe, an MMORPG centric website, and now it doesn’t fit in as well with gamerDNA. Since the implementation of Attitudes we’ve found much better ways to get at who you are as a gamer and enable you to share that with all your friends. Expect some profile improvements in the next couple months.

Group Hosting development scaled back: We will be stopping development on new Group Hosting features for the next six months. We needed to do this to make sure we could have our entire team focusing on making the necessary improvements to gamerDNA.com, to make it a much better place for you as a gamer, and to develop features that we think will help make this community stronger.

During this period of time we will still provide customer support, fix browser compatibility issues, etc – We just won’t be developing new features to the Group Hosting part of gamerDNA.

We will also be merging the Guild Directory and Recruiting sections of the site into one page that will have the Player/Games directory design. Expect this change soon.

------------

We know that some members of the community may not like these changes but we ask that you stick with us, we’ve got some great changes coming to the website over the coming months. We’ve got an aggressive schedule and everyone at the gamerDNA office is working hard to create features that are great for all gamers. We’ll have something to show you very soon!

Do you have any questions, feedback or concerns? Please let us know by replying in this thread!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by QforQ View Post
News: The News section of the site will be removed next week.

Over time we’ve learned that what gamerDNA does best is enable you to see what is happening around a game, by seeing what our community is doing and learning about games through the experiences of others. Since we are trying to provide something different than the many (fantastic) gaming news websites out there, we’ve decided to remove the news section of gamerDNA.
Speaking of which, are you guys planning on integrating the current challenges into the new system (The new one which centers more about you being a gamer and not just your forum activity, you guys have mentioned it a few times)? If so, I need to spam some news, gotta do some achievement whoring.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:38 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
Speaking of which, are you guys planning on integrating the current challenges into the new system (The new one which centers more about you being a gamer and not just your forum activity, you guys have mentioned it a few times)? If so, I need to spam some news, gotta do some achievement whoring.
In the short term (next couple months) you will definitely see us address the challenge/badge system on gamerDNA. We plan to make the whole thing make much more sense, add more badges, make badges/fame a much more meaningful part of your gamerDNA, etc.

In the longer term I think you'll see us address it more and more, build it out, etc. Our first steps will be to better define it and make some improvements in the next couple months.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
News
The News section always felt separate from the rest of the site, so I understand why it's being dropped.
I think game activities and posts should do a decent job at taking its place, especially now that game pages show "Highlights" by default.

Will the new system take vBBcode/UBBcode/something, and/or maybe have buttons like in the form we use to write forum posts?
It will be nice if we can easily embed links, images, videos, things like that.

Will our old entries be changed into the new system, so our old links/images don't break (if this question is even relevant)?
(The current system does allow for HTML tags: A (for links) and IMG (for images), so I used those.)

Along the lines of what Sensational said...
I didn't get the "Golden News Hound Challenge" and "News Bureau Challenge" (25 and 100 hot favourites respectively) yet.
Everybody give my news items a thumbs up so I get at least the first one before it ceases to exist!

Attitudes
Attitudes don't feel like completely integrated into the site either, but it's not as bad as with News.
They do offer a quick way to learn a little bit about somebody quickly, without having to delve into their activities, so we will lose that.
I read profile improvements are coming, so I'll assume I don't have to worry too much.

Group hosting
I personally don't use this feature, so from a purely egotistical point of view I suppose I should be glad other features are getting more care.
More realistically, I realize others do use this feature, maybe even sign up at gDNA just for it (at the start), so it's a very good idea not to forget about it completely.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
There are only two major problems with the current news system.

1: Abuse of the rating system is rampant, with at least a few people down-rating everything they didn't post in order to improve the relative standing of their own material, without even having to view the articles first.
2: The current system does not encourage original articles. All news is linked to outside sites. We need a system which works the other way, with the original articles here and links to GamerDNA on other sites.

Both of these problems are easily addressed, without having to remove the news section.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Last edited by LordXenophon : 04-10-2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Type-O's
Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Enthusiast

Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community
Send a message via MSN to Doctorzongo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorzongo

You make me sad.

For "news," well, I can see that going, and it doesn't really seem all that integrated. But I think it would be great to have. As Xeno said, fix it.

For "attitudes," why remove them? They seem pretty good to me. But oh well.
The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Attitudes is one of the oldest features of the site. I'd like to see it expanded. It may not be the best feature anymore, but it is cool. Perhaps we could have more questions which are not specifically related to MMORPG, or are related to your choices of games.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:40 AM
GDNA Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorzongo View Post
For "news," well, I can see that going, and it doesn't really seem all that integrated. But I think it would be great to have. As Xeno said, fix it.

For "attitudes," why remove them? They seem pretty good to me. But oh well.
Both of these features are quite old and would need quite a bit of work and time, time that could be better spent developing something that we think ultimately will accomplish the same things in a much better way.

It's important to keep in mind that, while we are taking away these features, we will be replacing them with new and better features in the near future
Old 04-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Enthusiast

WayneMSmith is a jewel in the community WayneMSmith is a jewel in the community
Send a message via MSN to WayneMSmith
Maybe this is asking you to expose to much, but as to the updated rewards system. When it comes out will all our fame and badges carry over to the new system? Even if the you remove some of the badges I have will I also lose the fame for that badge?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Savant

I miss the tag cloud.