11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 06-06-2009, 04:28 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
What Eldar model to get?
I'm tempted to get another model but I'm not sure what.

I got more than enough Dire Avengers and Guardians, 1 Wave Serpant (Dedicated Transport), an Autarch, 1 Farseer with 3 Warlocks as retinue and a war walker.

Any ideas on what to get?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 AM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
if you're going for a more standard type list, some Harlequins or some striking Scorpions would work well. A wraithlord is alos generally pretty good, you'd just relocate one of your warlocks as a spiritseer. Or you could try to set up a bit more of a special combination.

For example, I run my eldar as a bit of a shooting wall. 2 units of pathfinders, positioned a bit more than an inch a part. 2 units of harlequins in front of them. Eldrad ulthran casts fortune on each pathfinder squad (Either attatched to a harlie squad so you have to roll to see him, or to a pathfinder squad so he too benefits from fortune). in the movement phase the harlies step back, so the pathfinders get a clear shot, then in the shooting phase run back into place after the pathfinder shoot. Gives the pathfinders a 2+ rerollable armor save and a closecombat unit that you can only see from an average 14" away in front of them.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 AM

Dacimannes is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to Dacimannes
^
|
--- Space Marine player. Has no idea.

'Cept maybe that...
Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Its been a while since I last played an Eldar player... but I can't help noticing you have no Dark Reapers or Jetbikes. As a general rule, the Eldar play it fast and loose, lots of speed, lots of close combat, and a few solid units of ranged firepower to cover thier advance.

Haven't seen the 5th edition rules for them, so I've no idea what they have dropped. But if you can still get Warp Spiders, I'd grab a few. They used to annoy the hell out of any army.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops40k View Post
if you're going for a more standard type list, some Harlequins or some striking Scorpions would work well. A wraithlord is alos generally pretty good, you'd just relocate one of your warlocks as a spiritseer. Or you could try to set up a bit more of a special combination.

For example, I run my eldar as a bit of a shooting wall. 2 units of pathfinders, positioned a bit more than an inch a part. 2 units of harlequins in front of them. Eldrad ulthran casts fortune on each pathfinder squad (Either attatched to a harlie squad so you have to roll to see him, or to a pathfinder squad so he too benefits from fortune). in the movement phase the harlies step back, so the pathfinders get a clear shot, then in the shooting phase run back into place after the pathfinder shoot. Gives the pathfinders a 2+ rerollable armor save and a closecombat unit that you can only see from an average 14" away in front of them.
What the hell are Pathfinders? Those are Tau units last time i chekced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
Its been a while since I last played an Eldar player... but I can't help noticing you have no Dark Reapers or Jetbikes. As a general rule, the Eldar play it fast and loose, lots of speed, lots of close combat, and a few solid units of ranged firepower to cover thier advance.

Haven't seen the 5th edition rules for them, so I've no idea what they have dropped. But if you can still get Warp Spiders, I'd grab a few. They used to annoy the hell out of any army.
Warp SPiders.. mm meaning to get a squad or 2 of them thanks for that. Dark Reapers and Jetbikes would laso be nice but my army list is already crowded and its hard to decide what to drop

Old 06-13-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
What the hell are Pathfinders? Those are Tau units last time i chekced
Pathfinders are an updrage for Rangers. They were first used in Codex: Craftworld as Alaitoc specific units. Now any Ranger unit can upgrade to pathfinders for a pts increase per model. Basically, they are rangers, but take everything rangers do, adding to their cover save, moving through cover and causing an AP1 shot on a good roll......then make them better at all of that. Sorry I can't list the specific advantages they have without risking GW taking some form of action.

Look in the Eldar codex at the ranger entry, there will be an option called "pathfinder" they were around before the Tau Pathfinders and are definately better.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Guru

O yeah that one sorry I thought you meant something else >_<

Hmmm Warpspiders or Rangers (upgraded)

Old 06-14-2009, 04:35 AM

well, what do you want to do? Both units are pricey points wise.

Warpspiders give you rock hard fast moving hit and run colse range unit that is moderate at assault. Their biggest drawbacks are the loss of a member during the second jump on a bad roll, and they aren't as good against MEQ armies which are the more dominantly played forces.

Rangers and Pathfinders, though differ by the rank, are also pricey points wise. but can lay down fire, cause pinning and are extremely good at taking down MEQ and especially high toughness models, especially when combined with a farseer. The pathfinder grade ones can even move once before the game starts. both units are very hard to kill when in cover without getting close enough to use a flame weapon.
The cons are that without cover, they have paper armor. are absolutely crap in close combat situations, can't move after the game starts without losing all effectiveness.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Guru

Well my main opponents are

Space Marines - Tiggurius and a Hellfire tank thing
Tyrnaids - One carnifex that seems to tear through my line, i suck at rolling on him
Tau - hammerhead Tank

Old 06-20-2009, 05:09 AM

I'd definately go with pathfinders then.

Not sure exactly how much help it wil be against Tigirius.

The SHRED carnifexes. wound on a 4 reguardless of Toughness, 1/3 chance of being AP1 on the shoot, and 1/6 chance of rending on the wound.

neither unit will be effective against the hammer head, both units can only reallu glance armor 12. warpspiders are a bit worse because it would subtract an additional 1 from the die on damage.