11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 PM

dorni has much to be proud of
Retro Review
Hey guys.

Surfing the internet I found another retro game reviewer. Right now, it seems that they start to spread like a plague... Donīt get me wrong, I really like the games being reviewed, especially if it is done good (like some older Angry Video Game Nerd Reviews, James has a very great sick humor^^), but this thing is getting way too far in my opinion. I mean, I played a lot of those games when they came out, but how many times can someone review a game and call it bad like many others before him? Ripping the others off? Or too hard? Or anything else someone can imagine...? Itīs getting repetetive!

What do you guys (and gals, sorry^^) think about? I mean, there are some really great ones out there( IMO: AVGN; that guy with the glasses --> film reviews,... ), but is it only me, or does it get annoying?

greetings
Old 04-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
If something becomes successful you can be sure others will follow with something similar, no matter what this "something" is.
This can be bad (bad quality clones that aren't even half of the original) or good (like the original, but improved and added upon, overall better).

I personally only follow TVGN (but I'm not that familiar with anything else).
I was put off by his use of language at first, but I got used to it, realized it wasn't swearing just to swear, and came to appreciate his work, respect the person.

I'm sure there are many copycats out there... I just ignore them.
Well, until somebody suggests one thing or another of course.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 AM

LOL
Well, you might be right, I shouldnīt mention others to not make them (in)famous...^^ But Iīm searching in the net a lot about games (for netpages, for friends,...), and so Iīm encountering them all the time...
Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I rarely pay much attention to reviews. So much of the enjoyment to be had in a game is so subjective that there is no way that a single person can encapsulate the entirety of the experience. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new game or retro. Most of my game purchasing decisions come from first-hand experiences (demos and the like). If there's no demo, I might peruse a few reviews, try to get some kind of consensus out of disparate opinions, gather information on the developer and their track record, and from this info make an educated guess. Sometimes I get a crap sandwich, but most of the time I find a new gem.

One thing I have learned in life: There is very little that is objective. Especially when it come to human experiences.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Truely spoken...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 AM

grimfusion has set foot on a distinguished road
I do think it's time for a new retro game reviewer to take the reigns. Problem is, the public likes reviewers like the Angry Video Game Nerd because he mixes in his own brand of gross, unintelligent humor.

If someone could just come up with an idea for a retro game review show which is just as entertaining and humorous while supporting and highlighting the merit of old video games, I'd be hella on-board with my photoshop, premiere, and after effects skills.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:26 AM

grimfusion has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
I rarely pay much attention to reviews. So much of the enjoyment to be had in a game is so subjective that there is no way that a single person can encapsulate the entirety of the experience. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new game or retro. Most of my game purchasing decisions come from first-hand experiences (demos and the like). If there's no demo, I might peruse a few reviews, try to get some kind of consensus out of disparate opinions, gather information on the developer and their track record, and from this info make an educated guess. Sometimes I get a crap sandwich, but most of the time I find a new gem.

One thing I have learned in life: There is very little that is objective. Especially when it come to human experiences.
Obviously, you're a gamer who doesn't visit review websites very often. Honestly, me either. I don't mind the opinion mixed in with feature highlights. I don't have a problem sorting fact from opinion. I just feel like I can't trust game review websites, as it seems most of them are paid by game publishers to write "prettied up" game reviews that simply aren't honest.

The problem as I see it is that game reviews from trustworthy sources have become overly simplified. "I don't like the control scheme. It's stiff, so it sucks" is not a passable explanation as to why said reviewer rated control a 1.5 out of 10.

I've always wanted to create my own video game review video blog. I have the skill and experience working with editing software, but it's a LOT to undertake without the help of friends and employees, and whenever I bring someone else in on the idea, questions like "when will we become famous" or "will I be getting paid" arise and ruin everything.