11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 PM

Rawl1133 has much to be proud of
Rig idea
This is what is gonna be sitting on my case soon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103471

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131363

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227404
x2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227404
x2

atleast a 1k PSU and other hdds probably a 500gb and twin 1tb
and if financials permit a bluray burner

let me know you all think
Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawl1133 View Post
atleast a 1k PSU
Unnecssary unless you plan to run dual high end graphic cards. Even then an 850w would be just fine if all you are doing is two.

Quote:
and other hdds probably a 500gb and twin 1tb
Not sure why you'd need that much storage. If you want performance you'd be far better served by a single drive and then a 250 gig solid state for the OS and games.

Quote:
and if financials permit a bluray burner
A Blu-ray burner that burns Blu-ray is gonna be pretty expensive. Again, why would you need that much storage?

Note that a Blu-ray burner is $200, while a reader / DVD burner is only around $100. Also note that the free software that comes with Blu-ray PC drives is often poo and caps at 2.0 uncompressed. From what I've ready you have to pay upwards to $100 to get good sound playing software. IMO if you want to watch Blu-ray it's best left in the living room. The lower cost good players are in the $250-300 range. (See my Home Entertainment page for bla bla on that. IMO there is no point in getting a Blu-ray player unless it will be hooked up to a 1080p screen with 5.1 uncompressed audio.

Quote:
let me know you all think
Judging by the storage and your reference of a Blu-ray burner I take it you are going to be doing media work? If so a Core i7 build would kick an AMD's butt for only a tiny bit more. While the Phenom 2 can keep up in FPS for games, the Core i7 runs circles around it in non-gaming apps.

Consider the following:

Core i7 920 $280
OCZ 6 gig DDR3 running at DDR3-1800 speeds $100 (been as low as $75)
Evga X58 $250 post rebate

Peep my system builds for complete system recommendations. Note though they are gaming systems, save for the rank 5 which does go a bit into general media.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:55 PM

Rawl1133 has much to be proud of
thanks for your view on it

i do alot of media editing aswell as using like Windows media center with my home theatre. thats why i wanted the bluray.

But ive always been AMD 4 life and my gaming out-weighs my media editing and usage.

I wanted to beef up the PSU because i plan on making my own case,starting with one and adding on and doing the crazy lighting and possibly a 5 1/4 bay LCD screen. maybe someday liquid cooling if i can bring myself to it. plus i want to be ready for when i find that crashed truck hualing newegg crap lol .

the drive thing is mostly because i am OCD and old school. i dont want to get into SSD just yet

but i do like the points youve made and it will def. help in my final build plan
Old 03-31-2009, 12:17 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Word is that a new 960 is on the way. You may want to wait and see what that costs.