11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 PM

guido666 has much to be proud of
I'm not sure how City of Heroes works, but in WoW, the sole purpose of a guild is a place to be to have people to quest/raid/PvP/whatever with. WoW provides nearly no incentive to stay with a guild, besides maybe a guild bank (which in the end is just an extension of those people in the guild anyways).

So if you aren't playing with the people in the, what are you in it for?

If you are in a guild, you get 2 things... access to the guild bank, and access to guild chat. You use the chat to talk to your fellow guildies, and the bank to share with them. That's it.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
That pretty much sums up a guild in nearly ANY game. CoX is unusual in that there is base equipment to use, but nearly any reasonably good supergroup will have the same equipment in their base. It's really mostly about the people.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

alomo has set foot on a distinguished road
Well, ideally, a 'guild', regardless of game should be where people of similar interests associate with to achieve a common goal.

That 'goal' can be a variety of different things. It could be a 'raiding' guild where the goal is to progress through the different raids in the game to the final 'end game' raid. It could be a 'pvp' guild where the goal is to attain the best pvp gear and dominate whatever pvp styles the game has. The types can vary by game, those are just two popular styles that are out there.

When I was into playing Ghost Recon, the main thing of the guild I was in was the people. We were all pretty decent at it, some better than others, but we liked playing with each other.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Founding Member

Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence
First of all, I think the guild you are considering moving to is horribad.

We allow people to have alts in other guilds with one restriction. You cant raid on other toons. If you join us, your saying that your raiding time is dedicated to achieving the goals that we set as a guild. Twinks in other guilds are fine, bank toons are fine (its actually ideal to make them their own guild bank), toons to hang out and level with friends are fine, PvP/Arena too.

It comes down to this. We dont want to gear up other guilds' alts, and we dont want to compete with other guilds for raid time from any given player.

I can say that this policy has worked pretty well for us over the course of two years. Historically, once folks join up they tend to start to do all those other things with folks in the guild as time passes and they get to know folks.

We've had some folks leave for a more hard-core raid environment. That's an unfortunate reality - some people actually want to raid 5x a week!?

We've had folks leave to gear up elsewhere and try to come back. This didn't go very well for them as it showed that for them it was all about loot.

A guild is far more than guild chat and a bank. It's also a team that works to achieve common goals.

"If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny..."
Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 PM

Demonica96 has much to be proud of
most likly because people in that age just dont unbder stand how rare true freindships are and think life is a party

Yeah but I liek it
Old 05-01-2009, 10:51 PM

guido666 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methedras View Post
A guild is far more than guild chat and a bank. It's also a team that works to achieve common goals.
You're misunderstanding me. My point was that guild chat IS the people. So I was saying that by joining a guild, you don't get anything tangible, and that all you get is guild chat (PEOPLE), and a guild bank (A WAY TO SHARE WITH PEOPLE, which is again, PEOPLE).
Old 05-02-2009, 01:30 AM

DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community
I think that's what everybody in this thread is saying. There may be perks, but every guild has the same perks, so you are left with only one reason to choose one guild over another. Either pick the one with the people you like better, or pick the one with the people who will work to your advantage. Either way, that sounds like the guild you raid with, not your current guild.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:30 AM

Ziboo has much to be proud of
Reading between the lines - your current guild is not progressing at the rate you would like. If the GM is comfortable with the status quo - your choice is obvious to leave. If the GM would like to gear up to raid WoTLK content up to Ulduar, they need to do some serious recruiting.

The minute you had to start raiding with another guild was a very clear sign you've outgrown what your current guild is ready to do. Now if you have alts that you are leveling and they are comfortable with you leveling them in that guild that should be fine. But if you're a committed raider, you won't be anything more than taking space in your current guild with your alts.

Everyone plays at different speeds and with different goals. You need to be sure what yours are before burning bridges with people you enjoy, but if raiding high level current content is at the top of the list, and the fun but casual is part way down - you know what you need to do.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:47 AM

x8xid is community member of note
Agreed...
And why did you get so defensive. 666 Was very polite. You seem a little hot tempered.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:57 AM

Katreena has set foot on a distinguished road
leaders are very sensitive when people talk of leaving the guild. it is hard for us to see someone depart. usually when 1 person goes, more follows and sometimes that can cause a big downfall. i personally am not an advocate of leaving "alts" in a guild and taking a "main" to a raiding guild. eventually your alts always wind up in the raiding guild. if you want to see content, then you need to make it clear to your leader that is why you are leaving and make sure there are no hard feelings. it seems like you handled it pretty well. dont worry about it too much. this happens everywhere. as long as you are open and honest, there isn't much more you can do.