11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 08-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
General DM'ing
My friends decided to start an DnD (FINALLY!) group and since Me and another friend are the 2 people closest to knowing DnD (we both have played Baldurs Gate extensively and while it may not be the same as normal it still counts for something a bit) so me and him were going to swap up the DM'ing and i was wondering

Any tips?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
Don't they have like 18 kajillion over priced books and funny looking dice? That's why I like computers, they roll the dice for you. Roll playing games are just an excuse for grown-ups to play make believe again anyway, somehow if you have a set of game guides and some dice you're playing an adult (not in the pr0nz meaning of the word) game. But you wanted advice, not ranting. There should be like a gajillion kajillion DnD web sites out there, let google do the walking.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I tried but its mainly jibberish like make a tree that is brown. I want someone who I sort of know and can translate it into english for normal people x D

Old 08-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
Mishy! Normal people don't play DnD!!!! Just looser nerds who don't own computers ;-)
Old 08-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Guru

*looks at normal people*

I just said for people who can understand it duh = P

Old 08-31-2009, 05:30 AM

amedeus8 is a jewel in the community amedeus8 is a jewel in the community
I've never played D&D, but if I did I could never be the DM because every campaign would begin in front of a boarded-up white house with a mailbox out front and somewhere down the line I'd start narrating, "There's a signpost up ahead. Your next stop - the Twilight Zone!"

And if the references aren't my downfall, my need to make every story I tell completely crazy with chaos erupting from every odd thing imaginable probably would be.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:34 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Mishy, I've been running D&D and other role playing games for over a decade and a half, and have met a lot of talented people from all walks of life and professions. I started off way younger than you (when I was about 10) and now 17 years later, it's still a favorite hobby and passtime.

Dowekeller...I haven't been on GamerDNA in a while,so I have no clue who you are right now, but let me politely say:

Loser nerds without computers?
Right. That's why a lot of the RPG market today revolves around things like PDF file purchases, subscription based services like D&D Insider, Monte Cook's Dungeon A Day, etc. That declaration shows a level of either misinformation or assinine ignorance that makes me chuckle.

Apparently someone needs to come back and make the tabletop forums respectable (or at least cover it in asbestos from people who think it's funny to troll tabletop players on an RPG site. Just a fun note: The guys who jumpstarted this site, and a ton of people in the industry, have D&D planted firmly in their roots, the dice in their blood, and NO MMO or console RPG can replace the experience.)

Also "Kajillion D&D sites"? Yeah, there are, but he came here. A Tabletop forum. He shouldn't be mocked for consulting help in a community he's active in a forum dedicated to the topic.

The Reverend is back in.

Mishy, I'd be glad to lend you some advice.
here's my questions for you:

->What books/Editions do you have?
->Will you be playing this in real life (tabletop) or online over Vent/TS?

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Last edited by revlazaro : 08-31-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:59 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Mishy, and anyone else, while it's geared more towards the 4th edition of D&D, I recommend NewbieDM. He's a great teacher and gamer, and I'd highly encourage checking out his blog and his D&D community site:

D&D Community Site
NewbieDM's Blog

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Guru

Ok my friend whos starting it uo says 3.8 or 4.0 he said he's not sure since we han't got the main book for it yet >_< and yes me and a group of school friends are running it face to face = D i've already made a sort of base character sheet thing (pretty basic and its got 2.5 edition stuff on it = P)

Thanks for the links = D

Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
I've never run the WotC version of D&D and I never would, but I have extensive experience as a real DM. What sort of advice were you looking for? Give me some specific questions, other that questions about the d20 system, and I can probably help you or point you toward someone who can.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.