11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Digital Camera Buying Question
I want to buy someone a digital camera as a gift. The camera should be pocketable, so SLRs are out, right? It needs to have easy to use zoom too. Auto-focus is also important.

Does anyone want to make a recommendation?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
I asked a friend of mine about this recently who does it as like a pro hobby thing. He said you basically want to look for 8 megapixelwhatits and other features are much less important after that and mostly depend on the user.

He said their prices go up depending on how many filtering things the camera can do, but if you have something like Photoshop then the basic ones will be done by Photoshop and you don't need to pay extra for the camera to do it.

I think he said a 'cheap one' should be around $50-200. I know some get upwards into the several thousand range.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Ah, pocket digital camera's, had fun picking out one for my brothers house hold for xmas the other year.

Believe it or not, its not the specs you need to worry about, its the returns and warranty that are the winners here. Second up should be the durability and options for carry cases (lets face it, people drop things).

If a company has both of these covered for its range of camera's, THEN look at what they have in stock. I know it sounds daft, but I had to return a HP camera 3 days after I bought it because the auto shutter stopped working, I had a replacement in 24 hours (that's bloody fast IMO). Got a case for it so it wouldn't get scratched or dropped too badly (2 young kids in his house, both fascinated by computers and camera's).

I'll post a list of a few decent camera recommendations later, but first you may wan to tell us what this camera is going to go through and what they'll use it for (tailor the camera to the person).
Last edited by Hagan : 03-21-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:10 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
We can has recommendations now?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 AM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
I already have a Nikon digital SLR. It's just too big and slow when all you want is a snapshot.

I am considering this little snapper from Sony. I can get it used for $44 on Amazon!

Hoping to hear from Hagan here
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Enthusiast

I'd question the sanity of anyone selling an item for 10% of it's value who is claiming it's in perfect working condition.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Buying a second hand camera is risky, especially if its from an individual rather than a company. If it comes through busted or broken, they can claim it was broken via transit and "Out of Warranty and not their concern"... so read those reviews and feedbacks carefully.

One thing you should be made aware of: The feedback for this camera goes back 6 years... which means you could end up buying a 6 year old camera (Not worth even CLOSE to what they are asking). At least we know why its only 10% of the new price.

This is something similar without being as initially pricey (or coming with a Sony tag). There's also this which has the bonus of not having its own custom (and hard to replace) battery (you can use AA-Rechargeable).

Best thing about these camera's is that you can buy a generic leather case to put them in, and can use generic SD cards too. Plus if you get them new you get a nice shiny full warranty to fall back on if/when it gets broken.

Quick note about the Fuji however, you take photo's at dusk-night, it tends to turn the photo a slight shade of blue (which it explains as an off-set for the flash, even if its not on), so if you friend likes to take night time pictures, they may want to get a free copy of photo-shop to help remove the effect.
Last edited by Hagan : 03-26-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Buggered up a link, D'oh
Old 03-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Hey Hagan,
What are good rechargeable AA batteries? I have no luck with the ones I buy
Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 PM

meiguoren has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to meiguoren
I received a Canon PowerShot for winning a photo competition and gave it to my mother. The pictures it takes are great, it's technologically simple enough for someone who just wants to take snapshots, and the battery power is pretty good.

This is coming from someone who has had two Nikon dSLRs, too. The fiance uses a Sony Cybershot that works really well, I should add, but most smaller point-and-shoot cameras can't read very large storage media (her Sony won't recognize a 4gig SD card). Don't bother getting anything over 8 megapixels, unless your friend is planning on printing posters.

Oh, and buy new. Digital point-and-shoot cameras are so cheap now it'd be an unnecessary risk to get something refurbished or used.

CNet Canon Powershot reviews

CNet Sony Cybershot reviews

If you can get something with Auto, P, A and S settings, that would let your friend have as much control as they can get short of using a dSLR.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
Hey Hagan,
What are good rechargeable AA batteries? I have no luck with the ones I buy
These are what I use. I have a Bluetooth mouse on my Laptop, its been 3 weeks since I last had to change them... and there still going. If you have the option of using AA batteries in a digital camera, take it, they seem to be better value than the 'in house' battery packs (Idle hours and active hours wise).

If you need a replacement battery pack, they can cost around 20 or more. Saying that, they may be cheaper in the USA.