11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 AM

theotherniraj has much to be proud of
Console Gaming on a Computer Monitor
I have a monitor with VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs. This is fine for my 360, but I don't have a TV anymore and I need something to play my Wii and PS2 on. I have composite and component cables for both, and I was looking around online for converters (composite to DVI, component to HDMI etc.) to buy. Does anybody know what's the best converter to get so I can play my Wii and PS2 on my monitor?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
To my knowledge no such item exists. There are DVI to HDMI converters, as that signal is effectively the same (HDMI just has sound added on and higher bandwidth), but the others won't convert. The only way I could possibly think of that you could do it would be by going through an up-converting reciever. (Which, last time I checked, were all in the $500+ range.)

Ex:
Wii out via Component to the reciever, HDMI out from the reciever to the Monitor.

There may be some kind of up-converting thingy that isn't a reciever, but I'm not aware of one.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 AM

I've been checking online for converters. Something like this.

So they're out there, I just want to know if they'll work properly and which one I should get before I drop all my cash on one.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Oh what the crap. I lost a big message I was typing. =(

Um... the short version is that I wouldn't recommend that item as it's really expensive and has effectively zero resale value. I'd highly recommend you look at dropping around $400 on an up-converting receiver or looking at a new monitor instead. Either of those would be far more useful and you'd be able to sell them afterward.

ViewEra V221MV $220, 22", 1680x1050, DVI, HDMI, composite, component, S-video
Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

PS - It is very important to note that a monitor will not upscale an image at all. I recently had to move and sell my HDTV, so I just had my monitor to do everything on. The Wii image looked pretty bad going directly to the monitor, as it was just up-sizing that small res. (The Wii is 480p.) Going through a receiver, on the other hand, will upscale it as much as it can. So a lower res image, such as the Wii produces, won't look as pixilated/bad through a receiver as it will going directly to a monitor.

Note that I do not see anywhere on your device which references upscaling.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:29 PM

Thanks! I'll probably go for the new monitor then.