11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA News and Announcements

Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
gamerDNA Update Release Notes 3/10/09
Late last night we were able to get in our latest update to gamerDNA, an update that fleshes out the new Game Pages some more and adds a feature that we've codenamed "Pudding".

You can check out the patch notes here (http://blog.gamerdna.com/blog/2009/0...release-notes/)

The pudding is where you are able to apply your gamerDNA (or Run your gamerDNA, in other words) to the game and see how it matches up to the game traits you've put in, what other games that you've played match up to the game, and who amongst your gamerDNA friends has played that particular game.

With this update we've also made it possible to add the game to your gamerDNA directly from the page, you're able to add a post about the game directly from the page (this adds an entry to your profile for the day you choose and also shows the entry on that particular game's page), and you can upload an image of that game from the page.

We'll be adding some more things to the game page next week, but this is one of the major revisions that we're pretty excited about it. This finally enables you to easily see how a game matches up to you personally and who your friends that are playing it, as well as start conversations about that game through creating game posts and uploading images.

Stay tuned over the next week or so for videos and reviews from our partner's over at CrispyGamer, as well as the ability to buy/rent games..and sometimes even the ability to play the games, all right on or from the game page itself.

If you have any feedback on this week's update we'd love to hear it! The gamerDNA community gave some great feedback on last week's update and we definitely had some useful discussions here at the office about what everyone had to say. Please keep it up!

Thanks,
Sam Houston
gamerDNA Community Manager
Old 03-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Enthusiast

KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community
*she floats up through the floor, quill, ink and parchment in hand. She stops sitting indian style about four feet off the ground, directly in front of QforQ's desk... There are a few little scribbles on the parchment as she stares at it intently... tongue sticking out the side of her mouth; deep consentration apparent.*

Interesting upgrade. I like the fact that it is tucked away at the top and is able to be hidden as needed. This would be a function that a few users thought would be good for the profile calendars as well. The graphic portion of the interface is pleasing... not too ruff on the eyes, although I will say that the faded black hexagons make it look like I have dirt on my screen... I kept trying to wipe them off.

I like the fact that you can see what your friends traits alligned with yours are. I would only say that it would be interesting to have a community tab as well, next to the friend tab, which would allow us to see all of the ppl in that specific games traits. So if Perfect World has 1004 members, we could see their trait alignment with the game as well.

Beyond that, you all have taken the community suggestions of making it hide-able and implemented it very well. The more areas that are added like this, the better, that way we dont have a million things going on on one page.

*she sets down the quill, looks toward Q and waits for any form of response.... bouncing a small fireball between her fingers... Death sat under her, carving odd lettering into Q's desk...*

Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Great update, guys. It will make it a lot easier to compare the games that we have with the games we're thinking of getting. The visual aspect of the update is good, making it more than just a list of traits and numbers. Pretty...
Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Mmm, pudding!

I knew there would be an update, so I checked the site a bunch of times.
(No, I'm not at all stalking gDNA.)
It seems the update happened in (at least) two stages.

Suddenly there were images (Pics) and people's summaries (Reviews) in the gameCURRENTs.
I requested the latter , didn't even think about the former, but indeed, why not add images to the timeline.
This people's images will have a bigger chance of being seen by others.

The ability to add your own gamerDNA showed up later (unless it was just me being too tired to notice).
This feature is fun, interesting, and even useful, so good job adding that as well.
It should help popularize the site.

I'll probably search for new games, and add them from the games pages now that the option is there.
I don't know if I'll be adding things to my calendar from there, but I can see this would be a logical route sometimes/for others.

I searched for embedded Web games too, but apparently I was a bit too impatient doing that.

I only noticed the new image comment system after reading the release notes.
Curious to see what those pages will look like after they receive the full makeover.

The calendar reloading on the spot works quite nicely.
It did remove the ability to link to your calendar on a specific month.
That was possible before, because the calendar date (or range, or something) was part of the URL before.
Maybe it still works, but I don't seem to have it in my History any more.

Perhaps that could be (re)added, so you can easily show somebody what you've been playing in December of last year for instance?
Maybe you could click the name of the month to show you that month?
I'm checking my textual Activity list now, but it doesn't seem to be possible to filter out a whole range there.
I suppose if you could filter out a range there, it could be useful as well.
Actually I'm thinking out loud here, it's hardly a must have feature, at least for me.

Yes, I'm being boringly positive, but in my opinion gDNA is going in the right direction, not that I think it was ever going the wrong way.
It's probably nice reading people appreciate your efforts every now and again.
I'll be sure to complain if I ever do feel like doing that too.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Enthusiast

RedLynk is a jewel in the community RedLynk is a jewel in the community
Oh, I like this "apply your gamerDNA" stuff, really nifty. Keep up the good work, guys! Looking forward to the weeks ahead.

- RedLynk