11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 03-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Enthusiast

alomo has set foot on a distinguished road
two pronged question
Now, what is a good way to get people into a guild?

That is an age old question. Personally, I am steadfast against spamming in any of the chat channels. The problem with spamming chat channels is you have no idea why kind of people you will get. My personal preferred choice is to get to know the person. For games that have instances, do a few with them then see if they want to join. This can be a good judge of a persons character. This process, however, can be tedious and take some time. I am just wondering if there are any other methods.

The second part, what does one do with people who mean well, but just cannot really contribute while in a group? I have seen this from a few people in the guild I am, I know they mean well, great people, but they just do not contribute much. When we get them in an instance, their damage is horrible. The last time we went into an instance, I had done 13 times the amount of damage as one of the people. Believe me, I am all for people seeing content, but until everyone else can carry them, everyone else just gets bogged down also. What are good ways of dealing with this?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast

KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by alomo View Post
That is an age old question. Personally, I am steadfast against spamming in any of the chat channels. The problem with spamming chat channels is you have no idea why kind of people you will get. My personal preferred choice is to get to know the person. For games that have instances, do a few with them then see if they want to join. This can be a good judge of a persons character. This process, however, can be tedious and take some time. I am just wondering if there are any other methods.
There are a couple methods to this madness that can be looked at.

1: game homepages usually have a forum
It is always good to troll the games homepage forums to see whos active, possibly their lvls, what their interests are in-game, and so on. Thats how I was picked up in my current guild... The leader looked through posts constantly, trying to find ppl that he felt would fit the guild. After a few weeks, without me even knowing, he blasted me a message asking if I was interested.

2:gamerDNA
This can also be done through GamerDNA. Game pages are a good place to start... See which members of the community are active, see what they are doing in-game. Post a thread in the specific area the game fits in, ask some questions, see who you get to respond. Another method to this on gDNA would be to look in the ppl directory and see who is actually in the game your playing... You can go to their profile, see timezones, how often they play, pretty much anything and everything you would want to know. Then you can start dialogue with them. See if their interested in joining.

3:in-game
Finally, theres always the in-game aspect. Dont be afraid to squad ppl that you dont know if your fighting in the same area. You can start a dialogue and see what kind of person they are... complete some quests or missions together, and add them to your friends list before you thow a guild offer out there.

None of this is an immediate answer to building up a quick guild, but its all about the networking you can do and the connections with ppl you can create. Many times I have seen guilds that simply fall apart cause the person starting them didnt put in the work to get to know ppl and align their interests with one another. If you look in the GamerDNA Life section, I have posted a rather large document on creating a faction or guild and how to make it succeed. Feel free to read it over and take some info from it and put it to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alomo View Post
The second part, what does one do with people who mean well, but just cannot really contribute while in a group? I have seen this from a few people in the guild I am, I know they mean well, great people, but they just do not contribute much. When we get them in an instance, their damage is horrible. The last time we went into an instance, I had done 13 times the amount of damage as one of the people. Believe me, I am all for people seeing content, but until everyone else can carry them, everyone else just gets bogged down also. What are good ways of dealing with this?
As for this, there really is no way around it. If the guild lets just any old lvl in, you are stuck doing things with ppl that cant handle the damage, or produce the killing results. In most cases, guilds will set a lvl limit to avoid these kind of things. As far as how u can deal with it, I'd say either start a faction or guild with level limitations and put in the work to get the type of ppl you are looking for, as listed above, or try to aviod groups that you know will have the lower lvls in it cause u will be the one doing all the work.

Our guild does quite a few things to handle lower lvls in regards to them wanting to join into stuff above their lvl. We start by introducing all of the ppl that are around the same lvl so that they can quest/grind together, thus building up not only the communication and friendship within the guild but also advancing within the guild so that they can get into the action with the guilds higher lvls a little quicker. We also run trials so to say. Without most members knowing, we watch who participates in what, how often they are on, who they chat with, and so on. If we feel that the individual is not contributing to the overal goal of the guild, we simply ask them if there is anything we can do as a guild to help them improve their interaciton. If this effort doesnt help with any changes, we simply pull the person aside and let them know that while we have enjoyed their company, that they just dont seem to being walking the same line as the guild and that they should probably look for a guild that would better suit their needs, timezone, TW, grinding, and so on.

One way or another, you have to test out everything and work with the ppl you have, so the more work you put in on the front end, getting ppl that seem to be interested in the same goals as your guild, the better off you will be. Take a look at the doc I made in GamerDNA life, I think it will help ya out a little, and if you have any questions, let me know; I have run guilds and factions with 100+ ppl on many occasion and have been either a director or high ranking officer in tons of games... From WoW to CS and DOD:S, to Guild Wars and Perfect World. I dont mind helping guild-wize cause theres nothing like getting a group of good ppl together to enhance your gaming experience-

Old 03-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Zinya is community member of note
An old question but a good one! Recruitment affects all guilds whether they have been around for 10 years or just got started today. I don’t think there’s really any “right” answer to how a guild should go about recruiting. Every guild has it’s own unique flavor and goals that they hope to achieve. It seems as if the guild’s goals and personality should also play a key role in deciding how to recruit. So I guess I’m wondering if perhaps it would be more effective to look at how different types of successful guilds recruit.

Here are the types of guilds I can come up with: Hardcore Raider, Casual Raider(time), Casual Raider (attitude), Social, Role-Play, Leveling, PVP, and Specialty (ex: Christian guilds, all girl guilds, etc…). There are probably more! And of course a guild’s members can do any and all of these activities together… but usually there is some sort of main goal that keeps them all together.

I can’t speak for what sorts of recruitment techniques work for all these types of guilds as I don’t have the experience of being a member of most of them. I can speak from my own experience though. Maybe someone else will contribute what works for their guild!

We’re a Casual Raider(time)/Specialty guild

Casual Raider (time) means that we only have 2 serious raiding days a week. They last 3 to 4 hours typically. Members organize their personal raiding schedule beyond those 2 days. Although we only raid 2 days we have a pretty hardcore mentality while we are raiding and do not wipe often due to everyone knowing what they’re supposed to do and how to play their class. People get out of the fire (it’s mind blowing!).

We’re a Specialty guild in that applicants must be over 18. Pretty minor, but it works for us. Most of us are over 25. A lot of that group is even older (think your parents age). Everyone works, goes to college, has children, or some other real life obligation that doesn’t allow them to raid 4 or 5 nights a week.

Ok so getting to your real question (I blab a ton, sorry!), how do we get people into our type of guild.

Well, here’s what we don’t do:
Chat channel spam – uhm.. most of us left the trade/chat channels back in 1954 because we found them annoying so no, we don’t recruit there
Server forums – breeding grounds for drama, we don’t like drama. A lot of us do use them to weed out recruits who wouldn’t fit with us (ex: someone bragging about stealing everything from a previous guild).
Social activities – We run social activities sometimes. We got our black war bear mounts together as a guild and we also do all sorts of strange stuff on lvl 1 pink haired gnomes (is there a post about guild events? I'm always looking for new ideas!!). Usually we end up causing a scene which almost invariably ends up with us getting whispers on how to get into the guild. While it’s great people notice us doing stuff together, we don’t recruit this way. We do social stuff because we like to do stuff together. But social stuff just isn’t our main focus at this time and that’s what’s attracting those people to us.
Poach - Yea.. a great way to get a bad reputation with other guilds. If we pug someone from another guild and we're interested we typically start off with something like "how's <guild x>?". If they like it, we say that's awesome and perhaps consider getting to know the guild better for an alliance. If they aren't happy and are wanting out, then we let them know how we work.

Here’s what we do:
Friend of a friend – Almost everyone in our guild has someone they know in the guild in real life. People go visit one another, plan trips to Vegas, work together etc... People have recruited real life friends and family to start playing because we have a good time together. People have also recruited ingame friends who they have played with a long time. This has worked very well for us and has led to somewhat of a family atmosphere.
Pug it up in raids – sometimes we need something specific… like an extra healer. Usually if we’re missing a few spots for a raid we just grab random people and try them out. It’s a great way to see how they do in raids and also how they interact with guild members.
Friendly guilds - Our guild is "friends" with other guilds. I wouldn't say alliance because there's really nothing we organized, it just happened. They fill spots for us on raids that aren't one of our 2 "official" raiding days and vice versa. Sometimes these groups fold and we take in some members. It's sort of nice because we already know one another. Networking rocks.
Random recruit – maybe we did a heroic instance with them and they seemed really cool. Maybe they have the exact same cute outfit as you (er, yes we have recruited because of this and gotten wonderful guildies who are excellent raiders, lol!) You’re not sure why you recruited this person except you just have a feeling they’re one of us. Personality and an interest in raiding are big for us when looking at recruits I guess.

So…. that’s our philosophy as far as recruiting. It works pretty well though sometimes it can be difficult when we need to fill a specific role with a new person because their personality meshing with that of the guild is such an important factor (plus they have to know what they’re doing). I also think sometimes it is a tad intimidating for new people who haven’t had the chance yet to do things with us as a guild. It’s hard when everyone knows everyone and cracks inside jokes and you are the new guy.

I hope others suggest some other ways to recruit, trying out some new stuff would be great! Sorry I typed so much! Oh, and I will refrain from responding to your second question so this doesn’t go on forever
Last edited by Zinya : 03-11-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
The first question seems pretty well answered already.

As for the guy not carrying his weight, is he supposed to be a damage dealer? There are lots of other play stiles besides damage dealing. I personally prefer controllers, defenders, buffers, debuffers, healers, etc. I don't deal much damage, but when I'm around, neither does the enemy. Instead of measuring your teammates by their damage output, try to figure out just what they are actually contributing; it's probably a lot more than you think.

If he really is just a bad player, it doesn't mean you should ditch him. Maybe you just need to get him better equipment, teach him some skills, direct him to some better builds on the internet, or just help him learn the game. I've recruited more than a few bad players and helped them become great players. If he is willing to learn, you should be willing to teach.

You might also want to consider that many players are born to work alone. They might want to join your team once in a while just to see the big instances, but their builds are designed for sustainability when they are on their own. There's nothing wrong with this and there's nothing wrong with keeping such a player in your guild. Who knows? He might turn out to be your best crafter someday.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk aquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:38 AM
Enthusiast

Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community
Send a message via MSN to Doctorzongo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorzongo
I'm with Xenophon on the first bit seeming answered, so I'll go on to the second part as well.

I don't know if this would work well in an MMORPG (WoW, right?), but in Tremulous (a heavily team-based FPS) then they're assigned to something that's secondary. They still come along, but they don't really do anything. They help some, and they're happy, and they don't get in the way. Have them guard. Usually the people I put onto heavy tasks are good enough to make sure that the secondary tasks don't come into play, and if they do -- well, we've pretty much lost anyway.
The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Founding Member

Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence
We struggle with inclusion/progression just like many other guilds. We only raid twice a week so we need to lean towards progression.

All through TBC we tried to lean towards inclusion over progression and it was our biggest challenge and our biggest obstacle to progression. Having people in your guild like that is fine, but having them in your progression raid is a paradox. You need to offer honest, but polite constructive criticism to those who onderperform. If they improve, fantastic! If they dont they need to know that too.

Progression raiding isnt for everyone, and those that it is for will eventually grow resentful of always having to carry the same people through content that either refuse to put in the effort (their interest level being less than the effort required succeed) or who simply just cant perform at that level despite their best efforts.

"If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny..."
Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 AM

Ziboo has much to be proud of
Recruiting is ongoing for a guild. People will come/go for a myriad of reasons. A GM's responsibility is establishing the guilds goals and culture - are you casual, leveling, hard core raiding, casual raiding, PvP -a combo?

Really think about what you want to do and what you enjoy. Put it in writing on your website, application, etc., and then work from there.

Assign a recruit leader or two - ask them to do some PUGS (anyone in your guild can do this) reward them for recruiting good players. Invite the potential candidates for a few instance runs (in vent if you use it), to see how they mesh.

There's nothing wrong with a blanket recruit message looking for __ must have xyz abilities/gear for whatever your purpose is with an apply online at.

As for carrying someone. If they don't know how to play their class, get someone to help them - it could be a UI issue, spell/shot rotation, gear, etc., but if its plain incompetence and lazy they need to go or the resentment will build and you could lose the legitimate good players that do NOT want to carry a slacker.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:41 AM

Skinni-white has much to be proud of
Well what you could do is dont spam any of the chat channels. Just let the word out that your recruiting you have forums and stuff to do that in. and when u get someone who wants to join your guild/clan take them out for a test run. see what there strengths and weaknesses are. figure out if there what your looking for....in another shorter way to say it...tryouts
Old 11-04-2009, 02:21 PM

AwwHeck is a jewel in the community AwwHeck is a jewel in the community
Smile
some may have said what i am gonna say but maybe not

I take it your group is at least semi-battle centered form what you siad, so please mind this advice is for such a group, so it may or may not be what you seek, you know it better than me

onto the rant:
Recruitment takes a while because not everyone wants to always fight, soem wanna heal, some wanna buy an item

my Bartle set me up as an AESK Achiever, i mention this as whilst killing(13%) is my lowest ability, Leveling up to a certain point or skill is my highest ability when done as a 'goal' (Achiever 73%)

my point is simple, you befriend them first so ask them what their favorite aspect of the played game is, if it's something you wanna recruit, then ask them

also, as for the 13x dmg, this is merely result of Hastened recruitment
if you say for instance battled with them for a month before asking, then maybe you'd know what to expect of them, so their contributions can be expected at a certain quality

my point: everyone contributes but if asked into a job they cant do, then the recruiting group often blames them when it was te groups fault
(not that you do)

example of what i mean:
Runescape: i met a guy who needed mosnter help, i helped him kill the best, sicne i was 12 levels higher than it, and two more instances like this happened before i got asked by him to join a clan, within a week, i agreed to think about it, and even met with their boss, he demanded me be a 'cook' and to cook cakes, well my cooking level was 2, so it was flat out not happening, i let tem know this, & they blamed me for being 'underprepared'
--the whole crux here is i was asked in for battle prowess, not support, and my character was built as so, yet their fearless leader demanded me be support

however over n month's time, an apt timeframe to ask what my specific levels were woulda been given,
this timeframe avoids the 13x dmg window and sets up in-group expectations of each member joining (more) properly

you see, i'm an achiever-type leveler, i gotta get my skill or weapon i wanna use (RS' case was runite longsword due to color) then i gotta use it, so battle-wise i can make the kill, but Killer-types can do it faster, so i wouldnt be good on the frontline but i'd be good using a certain battle technique that would help the frontline

so in a clan, i'm a good battler but i gotta stand back and hold the fort doros closer to the fort where the enemy has been exhausted by our frontline

my whole point: ask them what they are good at

if you need a fighter, ask them what their best weapon is and if they can use it, if you need a healer ask them what their highest level healing skill is and what effects it may have

the idea herein is:
not everyone fights, so meet up, ask skill-based questions, buddybuddy for roughly one month so you can see their battle/support role prowess, then ask if they'd like to join
--optimal recruitment plan right there for semi-battle-based