11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
If you ask me art is more about provoking an emotional response than it is about high quality graphics or audio, or even gameplay.
Games can definitely qualify as art, but not because they look or sound good, or because you're having some kind of generic fun playing them.
Beyond even the idea of "fun" is the idea. Art makes you think about something. About yourself, your place in the world, the human condition, nature, Life, the Universe, and Everything. Art engages your entire mind, not just your eyes.

Within that definition, I would say that there are games that definitely qualify as "art". Some examples:

ICO: Loneliness
Bioshock: Predeterminism vs Free Will
Portal: Taking authority at face value
Psychonauts: The nature of the subconscious and sanity.

Feel free to bring up other examples.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
I haven't played either yet, but I understand Shadow of the Colossus (from the creators of Ico) deserves the art title as well.
Especially Shadow is on my personal To Play list.
Usually commercial developers don't dare to go places like these, leaving it up to indie developers.

Tibbon already mentioned Passage in this thread.

Another example, with a related theme is The Graveyard, which you could argue isn't even a game.
I suppose if you reason like that, you could even consider a screensaver art, but screensavers don't usually make you think, don't evoke any complicated emotions.

Checking... and yes, Kotaku has a "games as art" tag you can filter with, but there is surprisingly little there.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community
One game acts as a grand punctuation mark to finalize the argument on games as art.

Braid.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:11 AM

crunchychocobo has much to be proud of
I think that the PSN game Flower embodies these definitions of "art." If nothing else, it could spark a debate about environmentalism.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 AM

jokemeister has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shademonger View Post
One game acts as a grand punctuation mark to finalize the argument on games as art.

Braid.
I only recently played Braid and thought it was an incredible experience. Definitely worth the price of entry.

What's great about it is that it also allows you to invest as much or as little as you want into the experience. If any of the levels is too tough, then you can simply skip the puzzles and move on to a different level. It clearly has a story but, again, you can skip it if you don't want to delve that deep.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:40 PM

paperfan9000 is community member of note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
If you ask me art is more about provoking an emotional response than it is about high quality graphics or audio, or even gameplay.
Games can definitely qualify as art, but not because they look or sound good, or because you're having some kind of generic fun playing them.
I agree with this one completely. True appreciation of art happens when you see the message behind the images.

IMO, a good example of a game that could be considered art is (hope no one has said this yet) Tales of Symphonia. This game is full of subtle messages about life, the universe, and everything. For example, when you go to fight the last boss (no names to avoid spoilers), your party talks about how the weakness of people's hearts causes discrimination.

When you think about it, that holds quite a bit of truth. When people encounter something (or someone) that they don't understand, a common response is to shun, abuse, or otherwise mistreat that person/thing. I mean, think about how the European settlers treated the Native Americans. They encountered a previously unknown people group, and responded by dubbing them "savages," enslaving them, and treating them as "inferior" in other ways.