11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 02-28-2009, 04:17 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Games as art?
Michael Swaim had a very interesting blog entry up on cracked that once again raises the question of games as art. So, I thought I'd get the opinions of the gDNA community and try to get some good discussions started.

First, though, I want to define a few terms. When I say "art" I do not mean something that is pretty to look at. A sunset is beautiful, but not art. What I mean by "art" is something man-made that is able to communicate ideas about nature, the universe, or the human condition, and engenders debate on those ideas. Art makes you think about the world and your place in it, it's not just something purdy to hang on the wall. Now when I say "discussions", I mean the free exchange of ideas. Don't belittle someone else because they have different tastes, and don't make things personal. If you feel someone has a flaw in their argument, politely point it out to them, and be willing to receive criticism when it is offered in good faith.

Mr. Swaim makes some very good points in his article, particularly as regards to ICO, which I think communicates the ideas of loneliness (in the sense that you have to contend with being virtually alone in an expansive environment and given little explanation or context for your situation) and dependency (in Yorda's need to be led everywhere).

I also agree with his contention that while it is very beautiful to look at (and fun to play), Okami doesn't rank as high in the artistry department.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:24 AM
Enthusiast

Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community
I loved that Mr. Swaim talked about Psychonauts and Katamari. Both, in their ways, portray a very surreal viewpoint in the artstyle. Especially Katamari. Definitly Pollock meets Worhal...
Old 02-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Well yes games could be considered art but it depends on how the developers have done it. I have played a few games that quite frankly are pure crap, but games like Septerra Core for some reason comunicate something to me that i can't get at.Among with others these things could be called Art in my opinion just like I find books art sometimes as well.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:37 PM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
Well yes games could be considered art but it depends on how the developers have done it. I have played a few games that quite frankly are pure crap, but games like Septerra Core for some reason comunicate something to me that i can't get at.Among with others these things could be called Art in my opinion just like I find books art sometimes as well.
Art can be crap as well.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHedgeWizard View Post
Art can be crap as well.
Some times literally.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:52 PM

yonatan555 has much to be proud of
Roger Ebert i think is pretty well respected as a movie critic and in the film
industry. At times is have disagreed with him, but hey he critiques film for a living. Sometime last year he wrote a article published in the Suntimes where he said that he was having to refine his long held position the video games are not an art form. It was a very good read, I myself think that video games are a legitimate consideration as an art from.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Savant

Not so certain of this article as it pertains to games as art, per se, but it does deal with gaming gaining mainstream acceptance.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:37 AM

zanarix has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to zanarix Send a message via Yahoo to zanarix
I don't define a game itself as art, but art is definitely used in it's creation.

To me, 3D Design has artistic value, it is an art form. Some people make 3D models for video games and some people make them as fine art. Any digital art, whether 2D or 3D, is still art and design. It's just art that was created on a different canvas; a digital one.

The storyline for games I consider pieces of art. Because even though these have utility (which a lot of art does have, except fine art) they still have their own meaning, in and out of a game (look at the lore for certain games or books, like Lord of the Rings, Warcraft, Warhammer, etc, all those have a ton of lore behind them).

There are many different forms of art. Art, in it's purest form, is a message. A way of arranging elements in a way that that express some meaning, or appeal to ones senses or emotions. And most art does this. As do video games.

Art is incredibly expansive though and has many different meanings that artists have put forward for art in general. So to me, art has a "general meaning" but is different for each person. What I may consider art may be different to what you, or anybody else does.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 PM

Modoc has much to be proud of
Dunno someone called games interactive art.And he totally right because there are games to prove that.

like Silent Hill series and others..kick ass soundtrack,high quality sound,cool events and so on..
Old 03-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
If you ask me art is more about provoking an emotional response than it is about high quality graphics or audio, or even gameplay.
Games can definitely qualify as art, but not because they look or sound good, or because you're having some kind of generic fun playing them.