11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Angry Microsoft Discrimination
Read this and was absolutely furious. Go and read it, I'll wait.

Back with us? Good.

Microsoft may be within their rights by banning this young lady, but that doesn't make it right. Discrimination of this type on any basis is simply wrong.

A big issue for me is freedom. I identify most with the Libertarian Party (although I am registered Independent) and their ideals of freedom for all. If someone feels attracted to the same sex, that is their business. They should have the freedom to pursue their own life, just as I am free to pursue my own life.

One thing that is guaranteed in this country is equal protection under the law. One group cannot be given favorable treatment over another group. In this case, heterosexuals cannot be given better protection than homosexuals. I am not better than Lance Bass because I interact sexually with the opposite sex. And people like Lance Bass who bravely live their lives with pride in who they are shouldn't be subjected to treatment of the kind this woman experienced on LIVE or from Microsoft. If you don't like playing with a lesbian, well for one I feel very sorry for you and secondly don't play with a lesbian. There are many different servers, many different games, and you can take your homophobic, racist, sexist irrelevant tantrums elsewhere.

Discuss amongst yourselves.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 AM
Enthusiast

koji042 has set foot on a distinguished road
I'm not so sure about the reason for her banning (I've heard a few say it was against LIVE's TOS however), but I am infuriated at the LIVE community (not everyone of course) for being so intolerant. It's not even like she did anything to the other players, she just stated he preference on her profile and the suddenly, everyone goes "ZOMG she's gay!" Rather than her, all of those involved in the resulting ban should be punished. It's really irritating how people seem to think anonymity + access to other people = ok switch to be a total ignorant douche.

So long as people (or sentient beings) exist, I think there will always be prejudice and ignorance, but at least we can learn to be more tolerant. But seeing people like this makes me feel very sad (though I probably can't judge... can anyone?).

As for political parties, I'm curious, do you think the party system is flawed? Having no parties would probably lead to chaos, but the party system also divides us (some people vote for a party solely out of loyalty I've seen).
Last edited by koji042 : 02-26-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:34 AM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
I'm more disappointed with the xbox live community than I am with Microsoft. sad part is I'm not suprised by it and it isn't just the Live network, I'd expect the same from PSN or other ones too.

As far as discrimination, it depends on if Microsoft actually holds the standard they claim. They claim that it's a bannable offense to mention your sexual preference at all in the gamertag or profile. Therefore, as long as they uphold that standard towards all sexual orienations, I'm all for it. I can completely understand not that kind of material on their network, they are a very large business, and want to make their system the least offensive to the broadest amount of people as possible.

Quote:
One thing that is guaranteed in this country is equal protection under the law. One group cannot be given favorable treatment over another group. In this case, heterosexuals cannot be given better protection than homosexuals.
This is 100% true, however that does mean "equal" treatment, if having that kind of material in their profile is against policy for everyone, even if it's saying they are straight, then it's still should hold true here.

So if she was banned because she's a lesbian, I am against it. However if she was banned because she had information in her profile reguarding her sexual orientation, reguardless of what it was, I can't really complain.

That article says she was banned for being a lesbian because the sheer punch of the headline will atract more hits, it even states in the article that any sexual material, including orientation, be it homosexual or straight is bannable.

I'm still extremely disappointed with the way people on the network acted in general though.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 AM
Enthusiast

colliny2k is a jewel in the community colliny2k is a jewel in the community
I think most of us can agree that discrimination is wrong. However, it should definitely be made clear that, as the article says, Microsoft did NOT ban her because of her sexual orientation...but rather because she stated it in her profile, which is against the TOS for people of any sexual orientation.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Ok its againest the ToS to state anything sexual? WRONG! I meet someone on LIVE (Windows but it still works on Xbox right?) who had something about bieng straight? So much for standards Microsoft. To bad i only found this thread after he had logged off and i can't remember the name. (note to self cap a screenie) Second, The gaming community was stupid in its response, honstly? Come on We accept girl gamers (albiet with a bit of weirdness) but make them gay and suddenly its as if its a Nazi revloution or something? This is one of the things that infuirates me about the internet. Bah i hate society and some of the gaming community (present and majority of gamers excluded of course = D).

Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 AM

zanarix has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to zanarix Send a message via Yahoo to zanarix
Meh, I find this incredibly retarded myself but why are people surprised? A man who openly classed himself as a homosexual got banned months ago. And I mean MANY MANY months ago, so why did she even TRY to get away with this?

As far as I'm concerned, if it's against LIVE's ToU, then it shouldn't be. This is incredible discrimination. No, a straight person WOULD NOT be banned because NOBODY would complain about it. I should just go on LIVE to report all the people who do say they're straight just to see what happens.

The LIVE community is like most communities these days (not just gaming). Elitist, ignorant and intolerant of anything they don't understand. People fear what they don't understand and that's why there is intolerance.

Easy solution is don't state your sexual preference on any site. Saves a lot of problems.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

Eikinskialdi is a cornerstone of the community Eikinskialdi is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Eikinskialdi Send a message via MSN to Eikinskialdi Send a message via Yahoo to Eikinskialdi Send a message via Skype™ to Eikinskialdi
If it was a TOS issue, then Microsoft was right to take action (I felt slightly dirty just typing that). Her sexual preference is irrelevant with the upkeeping of rules, it was just merely what the violation was relating to. It's not the reason she was banned. Anyone who puts 'straight' on their profile, should likewise be banned. Sexuality is irrelevant in gaming after all. The intolerance of the community is a seperate issue, but I'm not entirely sure what Microsoft can do about that. Some people are just idiots, especially with the security of being anonymous of the internet.

To Koji - I've always thought the party system in the US was slightly strange. It's too clearly delineated. People label themselves as something and it's almost a cast iron divide. The UK system is something similar although not as strongly demarked, in fact its often been commented here that the only difference between our parties is the colour of their tie. Neither of our countries is really a shining endorsement of Democracy, we can vote, but only within a very broad structure where you as an inidividual can't change anything. Your system through legislation and ours through a very hide-bound traditionalist pile of nonsense.

What I mean about the strong demarkation is you are pretty much either a Democrat, a Republican or registered Independent (like the OP), regardless of other parties. And this in political terms is supposed to reflect how you feel on issues. As the OP does though, it sometimes needs qualifying, because in such a clear split system, there's too wide a range of viewpoints to clearly clarify what you mean by just saying 'I'm registered as xxxxx'.

Lol of course, I'd also like to know when 'Liberal' became a dirty word. It means 'open-minded' on this side of the pond Of course this is all an outsiders view, but I do have a strong interest in political matters worldwide (although it mystified me why we had a 6 month build up to the US presidentials here in the UK, I was curious on the outcome, I didn't need the hype. Stupid BBC.)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
(Fell ill just saying this but) In light of the ToS and so forth, Microsata...soft was right. Ones own sexual preferences and orientation have no business being in your gamer profile. What useful purpose would it serve? Xbox Live is a gaming community and marketplace, not a daing service or hangout for likeminded people of a sexual preference. Why anyone would bother putting that information on there gaming profile is beyond me.

Unless its to cause whats happeneing now, which is debate.

I ask you this, does her being gay (lesbian) affect her performance to frag, smash, kill, blow shit up, snipe, sneak or backstab any of the other players in the games they play? Is being gay some sort of performance enhancer? Does it affect gameplay in anyway shape of form?

No. No-one really should give a fuck one way or the other. Sorry to say it in such a manner, but its the truth. Its her fault she got banned for breaking the ToS, she should go burn a bra in protest (or her Xbox Live Details, doesn't matter which) and leave it at that.

As for the Xbox Live Community. I've had dealings with them, and yes, they are a bunch of intollerent fucktards. My first few big matches on Chrome Hounds where enough to give me a general impression of the idiots on the network, and I wont loose any sleep if many of them die horribly in freak sexual experimentation accidents involving a lawnmover, superglue, a taser and 3 kilo's of KY Jelly.

One of the unique joys of Xbox Live is the fact you can plug a headset that comes with the unit direct into the controler so you can talk to other players. Verbal abuse is therefore quite common if you don't report it. Of course, tend not too, especially when its directed at me. It just means I'm playing the gme right. But if you wanted to move from chat room to chat room harrasing people (or like those guys did, by spreading shit) then it is just too damn easy.

For me, I can safely say that both sides where in the wrong here. Her for the ToS, and the Community for being such petty bigots. All this is realy is recycled idiocy... and the world keeps turning.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
I don't see the big deal. I have huge faith in the free market. People should be able to run their businesses the way the want. If you don't like the way they do it, take your business elsewhere. Problem solved.

On that note, I didn't read the article.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
This goes back to the same comments I made towards Sony for handing their server logs of EQII for Academic research and Facebook for their shennanigans:

Any time you subscribe to a service, remember it's NOT a fair democracy. It is a privately owned network that your are paying to be part of the club. It's in their legal right to ban for any reason (pending the reason is stated in the TOS).

On the other hand, when a company pulls those kinds of antics, they're doing more harm to themselves than good. They'll still keep their legions of faithful; but the vocal minority who is involved in the drama will tell everyone else outside their walled gardens, and that will be the image that stains their rep.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade